Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Landlord, new tenant, and rent

Options
  • 22-02-2022 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a question about rent once a property is sold and a new tenant moves in. What is the situation with rent for the new LL and new tenant.

Scenario example: Im renting for under market value. Im on my notice and the house will be sold and ill be on my way.

Can the new landlord set the rent to market value, or does it have to be based on the rent I have paid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It has to be based on what you've been paid and any allowable increases under legislation if it's been a certain time since your last rent review. If market rent is significantly higher, that's tough luck basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Unless it's been empty for 2 years, it should be based on the rent last paid (plus allowable increases) but in practice, I'd say the LL would raise it to market rent and nobody would be any the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

Legally if it's in an RPZ the RPZ restrictions still apply even across a change of ownership and a change of tenants. If the rent wasn't changed for a few years, the landlord might be able to increase it a bit, but only a certain percent per year. If it's not in an RPZ, then the new owner can set the new rent to the current market rent if they want.

If you were in an RPZ and you want to be sound, consider sending a postcard to the new tenant at some point letting them know what rent you were paying and when it was last set for you. They can then do as they like with that information...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The new owner won't necessarily even know what rent the old owners tenant was paying. GDPR means the PRTB aren't allowed to tell the. So it's hard to see how they can possibly be held to the legally mandated amount.

If the new owner carries out substantial renovation works, they can charge what they want also

• Advertisement

Why would you care????..... like I traded in my car last week......couple of days later she was 'gone' off the lot......nothing to do with me

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

When we’re bought our house our solicitor told us what it had been rented for previously. We hadn’t asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭howiya

If the previous tenancy was registered with the RTB they know how much the old rent was. I assume this is where the solicitor was able to find that out when they do their "searches" as part of the property purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

As far as I know they have to tell you and I was told by a solicitor it is your responsibility as a landlord to find out when buying. The law applies to the new landlord renting at the same price so their responsibility to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

You do know where i gave scenario 'example' its not the real scenario??

Maybe I am buying a house. Maybe I am a tenant being evicted. Maybe a family member is being shafted.

There is many reasons why posters ask questions on here, most of them are not just for 'caring', there is a reason why they were asked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement