Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To EV or not to EV?

• 22-02-2022 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice from people in the know, with experience owning hybrids and EV's

Our current car: Mazda 5 2.0 petrol, seven seater, 10l/100 km, 200 euro tax per quarter

We are driving about 600km per week (school runs, work, after school activities) which at this moment is very expensive.

I am looking to change the car to something else, more fuel and tax efficient, we no longer need 7 seats so have more choice.

Would it make any sense to look towards hybrids (I think I don't have the budget for an EV)?

We live in a rented house so can't/don't want to install charger (permission from landlord, would we have to leave the charger behind when moving out?).

We have a very limited budget as we don't want to take on much debt, we would sell the Mazda (hope for 2k for it) and maybe put about 3k on top of it, so 5k all in.

All that I see at those prices are old Priuses and not much more.

With all this information should I just give up on the hybrid and aim for a diesel?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭fits

Are you saving for a house ?

if not well then at that kind of mileage an ev could nearly pay for the car payments with reduced fuel costs. Do some sums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

And I wouldn't rule out a home charger either. Plenty of dumb chargers installed to be had for about e600 which is the size of the grant. I.e. net zero cost. Then all you need is landlords agreement to install it.

Finally, if you are in a "diesel v hybrid" assuming it is not a plug in hybrid I wouldn't get too caught up with the difference. Just run your numbers (Inc fuel consumption, tax etc) and it will all come out in the wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You could claim the €600 charger grant against the rental property, and if you ever move to a house of your own, you take the charger with you, and you'd get the same €600 grant again at the new address/MPRN.

Landlord also wins as the house will be wired for a charger if the next potential tenant wants to install one. You'd simply have a sparks remove the charger and terminate the cables in a sealed junction box, and knock it off from the fuse board.

600km per week, so let's assume ~90km per day, or a worst case of 200km on a weekend day. Thats full EV territory all day long, and the savings would be outstanding.

Whats your ballpark budget? and what sort of value is in the Mazda?

You are currently paying €800 a year road tax, so straight away there's a €680 per year saving getting into a BEV. Over 5 years that's €3,400, and thats before you even account for the much lower fuel costs as well as lack of maintenance required!! So make sure you factor these things into your budget calculations. 600km is about what? 30 litres of petrol? so around €54 per week... 600km in an EV would be around €12 per week, so that's over €2,184 a year in fuel savings!!

5 years of fuel & tax savings could be in or around €14k!!!! so your budget could probably go up to make a lot of BEV's viable!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Current expenditure is going to be far less than having to pony up for a whole new car. Only get an EV if you have the cash to buy one.

• Moderators Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If it suits (seats, storage and range), everyone here will be recommending a 2017-2019 Hyundai Ioniq, full BEV. €15-19k. Does 150km in any weather. 230km in good weather (off the motorway). As @AndyBoBandy suggests, the savings can be huge, so even a loan costing a few thousand in interest over a couple of years would be cheaper than keeping the Mazda.

Do the math is the real answer.

Mazda vs EV (€120 tax, similar Insurance, 1cent/km (on a night rate, 2-3c/km on a 24 hour rate) + whatever the interest costs on any loan you might need)

Mazda vs cheaper to run petrol/diesel (less tax, less fuel, + whatever the interest costs on any loan you might need)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

He states his budget is 5k and doesn’t really want too much debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭fits

Avoiding debt isn’t always the best strategy. I was going to buy a diesel with no loan last year but when I factored in tax, reliability, maintenance and fuel costs as well as safety benefits of a modern car and of course the emissions - it became a no brainer to go ev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭loopymum

I would not buy any plug in unless you are are going to install a home charger

Advertisement