Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently at 1st Fix and want to set up for PV in the future

Options
  • 21-02-2022 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

We are currently re-building our house. The Electrician has suggested putting the wiring in now for the future installation of PV panels . I think this is a good idea, however I have 2 days to figure it out. Is there a standard that should be used or do I really need to engage with an installer. The panels will be on a side roof (we have a detached dormer bungalow) and there is a storage room just below where the panels would be. The joists are all open now and only the stud frames are up, so I see this as a good time to put the infrastructure in.

Any suggestions or links to guidance would be greatly appreciated

Cionn

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Fairly simple. Really have to worry about AC. Maybe some Ducting/conduit (and a pull cord!) from the roof to where you want the inverter to be.

Need a cable (4-6mm2) depending on how big an inverter your going for (electrician can advise) Maybe terminated in an isolator

Generally they put the AC on the right of the inverter and the DC on the Left. (There's some photos recently on one the threads, Either the Solar PV tips and tricks or the Quotes thread.

Also Think about a changeover/generator switch and then a second AC cable running back to the storage room (for battery backup)

2 CAT6 cables from the board to the room, (1 would be fine, but running 2 is a lot easier )

Also run a cable (and a CAT6) for a EV charge point too, For the price of a cable, It will save a lot of hassle if (when) you ever end up getting one. If its in an isolator too It will just be a matter of screwing the point to the wall and connecting it

Advertisement