Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which EV charger and where to install

• 21-02-2022 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭

Need a bit of guidance here lads please.

Am going to install an EV charger and I am nothing short of addled looking at all the info have a few questions.

Have solar here at home so looking at the zappi but with the hub and everything it just seems to be over complicated to me.

I just really need something that would charge the car using excess solar and I could set the time on it that I could use the night rate

The preferred install location would be the front of the house where I could install it beside the meter box, however the main board and the inverter is at the back where the charger could also be installed but the front is preferred.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

So we started with the EV charger and got the solar after. Similar layout with the meter at the front and the fuseboard at the back.

EV charger was installed off the meter and then the house fuseboard became a secondary.

When solar got installed, the trunking had to be run all the way to the EV charger, so that was kinda sloppy. But had we installed the EV charger off the main fuseboard that would also have required a load of trunking, so either way, if you're charging at the front, someone's gonna run trunking.

Have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus which should do energy export, but whatever way it's connected it's not detecting export. Waiting on feedback from the EV installer. Definitely better to get your EV charger installed by the solar installer, so you only have one group of ppl to nag. The main advantage to the wallbox though is it comes w/ a 7.5m tether, as a 5m would have been too awkard.

Zappi si probably the handiest if you already have an Eddi, but they also max out at 5m cables AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I am wondering why you need the trunking back to the board, I thought it was a current sensor clamped onto the feed in and as soon as current as going back to the grid the charger would kick in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Zappi + PV here. No complaints.

You can take Zappi feed from the meter box and wire the grid CT on the tails into the Zappi. As @Tree says the existing Consumer Unit then becomes a sub board.

No reason why you need to have trunking between the two of them though. Mine is rather neat as the Zappi is beside the meter box.

Got the hypervolt ..it can do solar but I'm still waiting on my car so have neither solar or car at the moment.

Do I need the hub with the zappi or will the unit connect to the wifi ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Hub only required if you want remote control or firmware updates. Solar divert will work with just the CT afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

It's worth getting the hub in my experience. Offers full control etc from your phone, no need to be fiddling around with settings at the zappi. I bought mine directly from myenergi and configured it in about 3 minutes. Saved a few euro, installers tend to add a bit of a markup on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Did you get the hypervolt through your spark or did you purchase yourself?

OK we are going good here, like earlier I dunno about the zappi as I think its over complicated with the addition of the hub an all. Also I have a hub already in the house with the lightwave gear and I read on some sites that the Myenergi hub has had some conflicts

EO Mini Pro 2 was looking good but the reviewer was saying that it will draw min of 6A on solar whether there is excess or not

Am thinking Wallbox Pulsar seems to be simpler device all round ?

Got the hypervolt from electrician

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

Don't forget that in nearly all cases, you will have to have 1.4kw excess production,over and above any base load,for the car to start charging from the solar panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

You also need to consider the excellent support that exists for the Zappi from Myenergi, I have heard first hand stories of no quibble replacements and goodwill gestures for items out of warranty. I cant imagine too many manufacturers doing that.

OK, thanks to everyone for the input.

I sat back and had a think about this over the past few days.

1. The Zappi will cost around €1k(or more) plus fitting whereas everything else seems to around half of that and would I really have that much excess solar to justify the bigger spend as I am sure that the car would not be plugged in every day at all, perhaps once or twice a week and then the excess may be around 10-15Kw over the whole day.
    2. Would I be not better off to put the excess funds towards a second set of batteries and where I could use the excess solar all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Do you have other high energy devices like electric shower or heat pump?

if you do, you will likely need a priority switch installed alongside the charge point (if it’s not built-in to the charge point). That is often the trade off of buying a cheaper unit. By the time you factor in the priority switch there isn’t much in the difference.

the more expensive units tend to have it built in by default so check that out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

How big of a sollar array do you have? Is there car typically home during daylight hours to soak up excess electricity?

You might find that the additonal cost of the smart charger will never be recouperated through solar excess goind to the car.

You can get a dumb charger for 300e plus intall, come in under the SEAI grant and leave the car to do all the scheduling etc for night rate.

No, none of those things

That's what I'm thinking

4.8Kw at the moment but will probably add another 2Kw or so to catch the winter sun along the way, see the car will be at home the odd day but then we only every get sun every other odd day so all the planets would want to line up for the smart charger to be of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If you dont want app support and you dont need a priority switch and you dont care about diverting to the EV (since the car is away too often).... go the dumb charge point route and save yourself the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JASCOTT

We have Solar Pannels but with no Battery and instead give back to the grid.

Our EV will likely be charged at night or on demand during the day.

Any recommendation on which supplier (Dublin/Meath area) to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

You don't need the myeneri hub anymore.

It's built into the current gen of zappi/eddi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

yep, with feed-in export payment, if I was starting out now, I would just go with a dumb charger and export all surplus and charge batteries (house, EV) at night. I like the Zappi but at this stage I'm not using it to its design.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I'm getting an EV.

Bought the EDDI second hand with the plan to install a myenergi system at home, coupled with a harvi and zappi etc. Solar was on the cards this year but will most likely be next year and may just be a ~4Kw DIY job.

Seriously thinking to resell the eddi and just use the time clock for immersion (Night or EV Rate). And then just buy a dumb or basic EV charger. Car will be parked at home about 3-4 days a week so overall, even installing enough solar to have surplus to charge an EV wouldn't be cost effective. Use night / EV rate to charge at home instead.

So what chargers are people recommending?

For cheap/dumb or semi smart chargers, I see these two:

https://midsummer.ie/buy/Ohme/OhmeePod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Cheapest solution is a 32amp commando socket if your EV can handle it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Nissan Leaf. Any recommendations for a cheap charger with a DCL socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

do all car chargers (esp a Zappi) support reverse charging?

e,g, V2G

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

None do*

*That are generally available on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭pah

Currently in the market for solar, getting quotes and thinking about EV charger install (No EV yet). Recommendation from the first surveyor was sell your solar back as much as you can and charge EV at night rate (He suggested not bothering with a battery either). Dumb charger for the win then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

first surveyor was spot on if you're night rate is lower than FIT. run washing machine, dishwasher etc and charge everything up at night, then during the day export all excess power generated. this is what i'm doing at the moment minus the EV which is on the shopping list. the winter bill since install in January is 60% lower than it would have been without solar.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Just remember that it was wasn't that long ago nobody was suggesting to dump all the pv production to the grid as we had no CEG. Things change quickly, Pv is a 15-20 year game. Do we honestly see cheap night rate being so much less than the CEG long term? Flexible tariffs will be introduced soon enough, and there will eventually be times where we will be penalised for export.

As things stand, the best payback is to let everything you produce go to the grid, but I would at the very least install a battery ready inverter.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Advertisement