If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)

Income threshold too high

  • 18-02-2022 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25 tinkerbell19

    I live in a council house with my 5 children. I work full time and my rent reflects this. I have a partner and I'm looking to add him onto my tenancy but he has been declined due to him being over the threshold. I rang to ask how they worked as with our combined incomes we seem to bee earning too much to be eligible for social housing but not enough to get a mortgage and definitely cannot afford to private rent. Because I want to live with my partner if we are over threshold can they evict me? Or how does this work. We want to do everything legitimate and when I rang to ask how this can be sorted I was told to come in for a meeting to discuss. But I'm sick with anxiety that I will have to choose between being housed and being allowed to live with my partner. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Can they put me out of the house for having too much income? Our income threshold in our county is 28,500 for 2 adults and 4 children for context.


  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭ Cal4567

    Rest assured. You have nothing at all to worry about. There are plenty of cases where social housing tenants over time go over the income thresholds.

  • Registered Users Posts: 24,700 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

    You can add him to the household (provided it would not be overcrowded with seven people in it).

    But you cannot add him to the tenancy, unless he personally qualifies for social housing.

    This is best for you: if you break up with him later on, you can stay in the house. But if he was on the tenancy, he would have a right to stay there too.

    But your rent will go up when he moves in: make sure he pays the increase.

  • Registered Users Posts: 25 tinkerbell19

    Thanks for the replies. I was told he had to full out the forms to be assessed for housing needs which he did and he got a letter yesterday to say he is over the income threshold so was declined. When I rang I asked does that mean he cannot live in my house with me and she said correct so I asked how that would work does that mean as long as I live in a council house I can't have my partner live with me and she put me on hold and then came back a few minutes later to say to come in for a meeting on Tuesday. I'm trying to look online and see can they refuse to let a partner move in and there's nothing online to say yes or no. I don't mind if he can't go on tenancy but Roscommon seems to say he isn't seen as being eligible for social housing due to income. And they told me he has to be eligible in order to move in?

  • Registered Users Posts: 24,700 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

    They may be worried about whether you are subject to coercive control or domestic violence.

    They may also be concerned about overcrowding: seven is a lot of people to have in one house. How old are your children?

  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭ The_Conductor

    They have rules regarding the number of people who can live in different sized properties, one feature of which is determined by the ages of the children. If you go over the threshold- regardless of whether or not you have a room yourself, he cannot live there.

  • See post 1.

    ".. not enough to get a mortgage and definitely cannot afford to private rent..."

  • Registered Users Posts: 25 tinkerbell19

    Thanks for the replies. My mistake I ment 4 children not 5. I'm in a 3bed with 10yr old, 5yr old, 3 yr old and under 1yr old. I've applied for the transfer list already. 3 boys and 1 girl.

    As per my original post we don't earn enough to get mortgage approved as we have already tried and private renting is absolutely not affordable. If we could buy we would.

  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 63,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

    This is not an appropriate line of questioning for here.

    Everyone is to drop this immediately.

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭ RedXIV

    Depends on the type of housing agreement in a lot of ways but there is almost definitely a way for this to work, most likely as Mrs. OBumble says.

    I'm in a scenario where we are preparing to move out of social housing after a number of years to buy our own place and my wife put me on her council housing tenancy when we started out together with next to nothing but we've both been lucky enough to improve our lot in life and we'd be in pretty good shape financially now with a significant household income and there is still nothing from the council about hitting an income limit. Just the proportion of rent paid to the council has increased as our salaries increased.

    I've generally found that the person you're talking to is what determines the outcome, if you get someone sensible, they'll realise you want to move a partner in at some point in "your" house so they need to have a system for that. If they are unreasonable, book another appointment and hope to get someone else.

    Best of luck!

  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ covidcustomer

    Do you have your Tenant Handbook? I looked online at the Roscommon one here and I can't see anything about your query, ask them where the rules relating to this issue are. Best of luck.

  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Wifey82

    Unbelievable assumptions being made!!just wow!!

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭ endofrainbow

  • Registered Users Posts: 49 xyz13

    Well spotted Mr. or Mrs. rain

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭ endofrainbow

  • Advertisement