Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was Jackie Healy Rae really as thick as he sounded?

• 18-02-2022 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Or was it all an act?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

An act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

He wasn't a fool, nor is Michael Healy Rae.

Danny... Now that's another matter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

His son is the richest man in the dail.

🙈🙉🙊

They've multi million euro businesses built and a big property portfolio, a lot of it acquired from the influence he had.

The very definition of a cute hoor. They do work hard for their constituents, will give them that.

Even Danny is not a thick as he appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All an act. Massively wealthy through his own endeavours (the questionable contracts for plant hire are the generation below), and a former professional saxophonist to boot, not an easy instrument to master.

I wouldn't be certain its all an act with all of his kids, but one of them is a respected barrister from memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Wasnt his wife a professor or something? And his daughter is/was a barrister? To portray them as the village idiots would be a mistake. But then on the other hand you could say its the image that they have crafted and formed by themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He set up several businesses, one of which is worth 10 million plus. He had the Taoiseach of the day bowing constantly to him.

What have your breed ever achieved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya sure we are all thick down here and I love playing the game away when ye folks trong the place during the summer, all good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's the sister (of MHR and DHR) who is the barrister, and yes, she's regarded as a very competent legal professional by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The eejits are posting here... they are smart people who just think of me... morals???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭gifted

He had the country by its balls and didn't give two flying ficks about it during his time helping out the ff/ green government.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I have had dealings with them in a professional capacity and they are definitely not thick. Tbh I admire them for looking after their own constituency whereas many, once they make it big politically, forget where they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

That last sentence is a very odd question tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He got a deal off Bertie for his local area that a TD these days could only dream about, but of course to the southside Dubs he was just a thick culchie when in reality he was a very smart operator.

Michael is like him, Danny on the other hand would be a bit out there but is still a wealthy man compared to most of the folks who would be laughing at him.

Both of them are guaranteed to be elected for as long as they wish to be in the Dail so its probably them who will be having the last laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

None of them are fools.

Only the words out of his mouth are foolish-seeming, but nothing else. Look at Danny's eyes if you get a chance to meet him in person and tell me what you see there.

Unfortunately the 'South Dublin style' of intellectual vanity makes a lot of people susceptible to thinking anyone who doesn't mirror their mannerisms isn't operating on the same level.

Remember those children's fairytales where the moral was to see beyond surface appearances? Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭mikethecop

The whole family has thier hands in many pockets none of which are thier own .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP.

You are assuming that he sounded thick and therefore that somehow he inveigled the good people of Kerry to vote for a thick person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I once heard a stat that no healy rae (from Jackie to Danny and Michael and all the younger councillors coming up) has ever lost an election - is that still true?

To think that Jackie only went independent because fianna fail wouldn't select him. They missed out on a huge political machine there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've no idea how they'd do on an IQ test but they're well able to do whatever is necessary to get ahead in life.

I think Dubs in particular don't get the value in letting people think you're less capable than you are. Then the thick culchie follows them into a revolving door and comes out ahead and the Dub is left scratching their head.

The Healy Raes know that and their constituents know that, and that's all that really matters.

• Advertisement

This lad didn’t fool him,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIQLYA04U8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't think Bertie sounded thick either.

CJ Haughey famously said of him "He's the man. He's the best, the most skilful, the most devious, and the most cunning of them all."

In many ways Bertie and Jackie were a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The pair of them could give a masterclass in vote management to any of the major parties, they have it to a fine art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He was far from a ticko. Just ask Bertie Ahern every Friday evening when in power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

@StupidLikeAFox

Still 100% hit rate through three generations. I'd say the one that ever fail to get elected will be excommunicated.

They were cute enough to run the younger generation in three different constituencies around the county for the 2019 council elections so as not to cannibalise the votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

They didn't make their money honestly, unfortunately.

No. That's exactly the kind of reductionist thinking that breeds the type of self-serving politicians like the Healy Raes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭cute geoge

They see and seize every opportunity and are ingenuis but that does not make them dishonest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Doubtless they all enjoy a good game of chess and a lengthy chat about Dostoevsky and the influence of the Bauhaus after a hard day playing the muck savage.

Yep Bertie got all his money legitimately 🙄 plenty more as well.

Yes they win all their contracts honestly. Also I have a bridge for sale, you might be interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Met one of younger generation in kenmere a while ago on a week end away great crack well able to let there hair down. Would have often seen Jackie around kilarney always a few around him sure they show up for every funeral. They are Kerry it's what we are all about cute hoorism trying to make a living on the side of a mountain , no intell, no Louis, no Bus to anywhere, try waiting for a bus sometime down in rural Kerry.

I have the feeling the Kerry folk think this is them putting one over on the rest of the country. It's not, it's the Healy Raes putting one over on the people of Kerry. I'm not for a moment suggesting this sort of thinking is unique to Kerry - this trick would work just as well in Dublin, but Kerry has the misfortune to host these parasites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭black & white

Back when he was elected, one of his demands to support the government was a factory in Kerry. At the time, I was involved in a company involved in facilitating new industries coming to Ireland and we had been sorting out a company who were going to Waterford. We got a call from Government Buildings to change their mind and bring them to Kerry. Can’t remember the name of the company but that’s a true story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

No. But they clearly think everybody else is.

The great Stephen Fry has an interesting take on the essential difference between British and American comic heroes. See below. The American hero is a wise cracking winner who always gets the girl and wins the cash; the British comic hero is a stuffy dutiful loser who fancies himself as an important agent in a well-ordered meritocratic world but instead gets crapped on from on high and by his won incompetence.

The Irish comic hero is the smartest guy in the room who convinces everybody else he's the stupidest.

That's the Healy Raes all over. Bunch of jokers, but we're the fools.

The only thickos were Kerry FF, who I think back in the day told him he couldn't run in the general election for FF.

Well he sure showed those boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Thick, probably not. Shifty, dishonest, entitled and arrogant yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭foxsake

Jackie Healy was a really smart guy.

I don't have any issue with them - but for those that do. Remember it didn't have to be this way.

Jackie was a local FF grafter for decades - when an opportunity came for him to run in 1997 the FF party turned their back on him and he ran as an independent and thus the dynasty was born.

If only FF and headquarters hadn't tried to shaft him he could have been a regular joe backbencher.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Irony of that is, they regularly needed him, as an independent, to make up the numbers to form a Government.

Incredibly short-sighted by FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I would say he was a real community man like I saw a archive photo of Jackie with a ladder on his shoulder putting up the lights for puck fair over 50 years ago and he cut an impressive figure . He was in first name terms with everyone he came to meet with through business and social contact .As far as I know he would have started with naught and married into the pub and the shop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

These guys are hardly thick. They utilize the same game the establishment has done for centuries, Divide and Conquer. Doesn't make them geniuses either, I'd say they were fond of reading books, so fair play to them.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Doubt they're stupid at all, but I really wish they weren't held up so often by international media as examples of Irish politicians in action because they do make us all look stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

For the last 10 years the Healy Raes were used by RTE as the figure-heads for everything non-Dublin related or 'down the counthry'. That's grand until it comes to things like the abortion referendum where the Healy-Raes did more damage to the No campaign than the yes campaign ever could.

If it's all an act, then they should do us all a favour and f*ck right off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

About as much as a typical Progressive politican cares about the working class.

Very few politicians actually care about the working class. But the progressive ones pretend.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭foxsake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Clever hoors, they weaponised the revulsion that "Civil Society" Ireland felt towards parochial types carrying on in the Dáíl, knowing their voter base would elect them just to stick it to the Dublin media

I think it drives people to protest vote for candidates who are openly corrupt, because "at least they're straight talkers" and not part of the establishment. This typically backfires, but it's hard to blame people for having well earned cynicism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

As a Dub if you want to understand Michael Healy Rae you need to read his book and watch the episode of Living with Lucy, both will give an insight into the mindset.

Michael does not sit still and never has since a young man, what other TD is a Farmer, Multiple other businesses and will still answer his phone to Mary down the lane in the back of beyond and treat her the very same as the millionaire asking for help. Yes he has built vast wealth but shows none of it, i think it will be a classic case of Jackie (started it), Michael (Minded it) and the Kids (blow it)

• Advertisement
Advertisement