Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New groups availability

Options
  • 17-02-2022 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am considering (really really want!) to purchasing a frame and wheel set that I like. The problem is that it seems quite difficult to source a groupset. Ideally, i would like SRAM Rival eTap but would consider mechanical Ultegra at this stage.

Anyone any ideas on the best place for sourcing full disc group sets or can offer any advice as to if stock levels may pick up again? I understand there is a significant backlog etc just wondering if anyone has more insight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'd got the impression SRAM weren't too bad for availability - it's Shimano that have major problems. Quick Google for Rival Etap came up with Mantel (https://www.mantel.com/ie/sram-rival-etap-axs-disc-groupset) where it looks like it is out of stock, but they say stock is expected next week and that you can believe them on this (no idea if you can or not - it was just the first link appeared)

Conversely, I'd say you might struggle to get your hands in an Ultegra group!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I built a bike over Christmas. Assuming you are considering a disc build - Shimano 105, GRX 600 or 810, or SRAM Rival eTap were all available easily enough.

It was rare to find full groupsets (although I got a notification yesterday for a 105 for about 650) but you will find the components individually. I was surprised that this doesn't increase cost too much. You might not find everything in stock in the one place but if you shop around (I used the German and Dutch sites), you will get everything and maybe just need to set notifications for stock. From deciding I would do a build to having all the components ordered and delivered took me 2-3 weeks.

Ultegra 8020 seemed much more difficult to find but I'm not sure if that is officially discontinued or they are just focusing on the new Ultegra.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The title led me to believe this thread was about new cyclings clubs and membership availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Mate just built up a bike with a di2 ultegra disc 12 speed groupset. All the online shops were "out of stock". But if you put every part of the groupset into a basket individually you were sorted, apart from a cassette. So one item can render the whole unavailable. Apparently there's 80+week lead times on 12 speed cassettes, which is nuts. But he bought the test of the group in bits, no problem, same price and then got a one-piece 12 speed block from Edco for similar money to an ultegra but lighter than dura ace (which is an insane 400 and something euro).

So there are ways and means.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've bought as above bit by bit or second hand. There's been a few groupsets available though but you have to look around, and they're generally at their RRP rather than anything less. It's not as hard as some make out. Like there's one lad trying to sell a Dura Ace crank set for 500 quid, but it can be bought new cheaper and is available,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Thanks all for the comments. Will crack on and see what I can come up with

Advertisement