Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car dealer using housing estate as overflow car park.

Options
  • 18-02-2022 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

It appears to be the case in our estate that a local dealer is using certain roads to park cars, occasionally for some period of time.

Spaces are at a premium. It has happened to me once and to neighbours more than once.

I realise that there is no law against someone parking a car anywhere it's legal to do so. I just find it very inconsiderate and un-neighbourly.

It's one thing having a neighbour's friends or family member parking for a weekend where you would normally park. But, for days on end - five weeks with one car last summer - I think it's unacceptable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Does the Dealer have planning permission to operate a business in the estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

The dealer operates from a bona fide premises (usual forecourt setup) nearby.

So, he's absolutely kosher.

But, he's a small operation, I'm guessing.

Thanks for the reply.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do the cars have valid tax and insurance discs on them, legally they need to if parked in a public place.

I'd report any vehicles that are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

A vehicle only need's valid road tax to park on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The road IS public if my reading of the OP is correct.

id check for up to date tax and insurance and report if no current tax and or insurance is displayed…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Read my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 whaccawhacca

5 weeks? Reasonable to assume it's an abandoned or stolen car and report it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Has anybody actually asked him to remove them?

Start parking bangers on his plot?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Doesn’t a car need valid insurance in order to get taxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭_gir

that was my understanding, at least online you can’t get new motor tax disc without insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Forget the minor tax/insurance issue. They will have a garage policy. Tax would be a moot in point and they'd simply choose cars that are taxed if there was an issue.

It's really a planning issue, so simply go to council planners and make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It may be a local Authority issue but based on what OP is saying its not a case the Car Dealer is parking numerous cars at one location in the estate and instead parking individual cars at various locations. So it could be argued (I'm not a legal expert) the dealer has a right to park a car at a location on any estate unless a car parking permit is required (not something I've heard of in an estate setting) . Personally I can't see a local authority getting bothered by this.

I agree the Tax/ Insurance thing is mute.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm guessing you're right. He doesn't park more than one car at any one location. So, he's probably within his rights to park wherever he likes.

I guess the only pressure that can be applied is moral pressure - asking the resident's association to get involved. Presumably a lot of his business is local.

Very white-trash behaviour though.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

If a car has not moved for 4 weeks, you can report it as abandoned.

But I would enquire with planning dept of the council as it's using public space for business use.

A council is quick enough to get a business to move tables off a footpath if no payment has been made.

I could of course be wrong but the dealer may be (benifit of doubt) consious of not causing too much disruption. I'd certainly make enquiries of the local authority, perhaps a counciler or TD could do this on your behalf 😉

Apologies, Typo 😉 Great user Name by the way Mr Wordle 😁

I see that DLRCOCO has an enforcement section.

Will phone them on Monday for any advice they can offer.

Thanks again.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Does it cause difficulties getting in and out of your estate?

In our estate we have people parking at the entrance (who do not live in the estate), dangerously close to the junction when annoys the hell out of me. We also have people who park their cars on both sides of the road but won't use their driveways and want to use that space for other things. Sorry, my rant isn't very helpful, just that I feel your frustration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

This is a planning issue more than anything. It's not reasonable for the business to be causing disruption to local residents, even if the cars themselves are compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just to clarify it is a legal requirement to display motor tax, NCT and insurance discs.

The exemption for dealers not to display an insurance disc only applies where a trade licence is displayed on the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Drop in, and ask to test drive one of the cars that's parked in the estate. When done, park it back in his lot. Keep doing this for every car, wearing a different disguise each time.

Before trying to crack a nut with a sledgehammer, for the second time in this thread have you / the Residents Association actually spoken to the dealer about your concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

post a few pics of the set up OP

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You can fill out any mix of numbers when your filling this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Best to only do this if you want to go public.

Once you put pics up online the location will be recognised and they will be shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I think you could practically input "Imaclown1" and your tax disc would be issued out to you. Plus what if your renewing your motor tax for the 1st of March and your insurance is up on the 20th of March. You would be inputting your valid policy number in that scenario but your motor insurance may not be renewed come 20th of March.

In order to avoid blocking my neighbour's gate, and to avoid parking outside someone else's house, I have parked across our gate and right up to - but not touching - his car. Our other neighbour's car is up against him at the other side. So, he will have to knock to get out.

He has denied it's his car and that may be so. But, it doesn't belong to anyone on our road and it's got his company name on the number plates and on the tax/insurance discs holder on the windscreen.

Whoever owns it, it's very ignorant.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

True but a vehicle can’t be towed away simply because it has no insurance or nct displayed

Advertisement