Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 johonnyboy

Great win and interview.

Lack of spectators was obvious. Is that mostly the case bar majors?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Fantastic achievement by Leona.....her biggest asset going forward is her temperament.

So cool under pressure coming down the stretch.

First of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭big_drive

Interesting to read she only starts her irons at a 7 iron.

Carries 3 fairway woods & 2 hybrids

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It's something I'm going to do, swap 4 and 5 iron for hybrids. Big difference between my situation and hers of course, interesting to see it done on a pro tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Leona wouldn't be regarded as a long hitter in the women's game so I guess the hybrids and woods are a big help.

She used hybrids to great effect on par3's and long approach shots last night.

As an aside I remember Tom Watson being asked about his number one tip for weekend golfers.

His answer: use hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's just for that event, i think. The Drive On championship was created after the pandemic when other events were cancelled so there's never been any crowds allowed, bar local club members. Not sure if that's always going to apply in future, but either way, there are crowds at all other events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I heard them say last night her average driving is 255 yards. I’m not sure if that was average carry or average total distance. If it’s carry that would equate to about 106 mph swing speed if it’s total distance it would equate to roughly 100mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Looking at her stats, she averaged 242 yards in her rookie 2020 season so she's put on 13/14 yards since which I'd assume is via a combo of new equipment/gym work. Against that, she's only 58th in accuracy, 31st last season, against 11th in 2020, so there can sometimes be a trade off. I suppose another few yards would be nice but don't believe it's something she'll ever be obsessed with. Accuracy with those hybrids is amazing.

I was actually watching her Round 4 highlights this morning, she has changed her drive a lot since last year, she would rarely move on the drive but now she has a notable agression in her swing and quite a whip at the end, she "loses" her footing when teeing a driver or 3wood now.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

I saw that alright. Fascinating. There's definitely a lesson for club golfers in there somewhere. I've an old Callaway 25 degree lying around somewhere I must dig out and put it through its paces !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭big_drive

A thing I definitely like about watching the women's golf is that I can relate to the distances and clubs used better. The mens game is just another world that I can't relate in any way to my own game

I’ve really got into woman’s golf atm for that reason. I see them hitting shots from a particular distance out and they are often hitting the same club I’d be hitting. But can obviously do much better than I could. So if Leona is 180 or 190 yards out in the rough what is she choosing to do from there. It’s not like Rory or Bryson powering an 8 or 9 iron on to the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Super win the other night.

Delighted for her. Cant see it being her last either but least she has that monkey off her back now

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

That missed 4-footer on the 18th, I think she let the lack of pressure get to her!

Up to 20th in the world rankings now. Fabulous progress.

Post edited by Scrabbel on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Great interview on Today FM earlier, very grounded. There's a great future ahead of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,784 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Kinda refreshing to hear she still has her natural accent. Was she in the university there for a full scholarship ?

Nice to have a real interest now, in the female game. Having an Irish interest a big factor in sport for me.

I'd imagine she was there on a full/very good scholarship. Herself and the sister were so good at such a young age, I'd guess they had plenty of options at the time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Leona up from 37 to 20 in the latest world rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The both got like 600 points in the leaving cert and got the full ride with Duke university

Leona's WITB for her latest 2022 win for those interested:

Driver: Ping G425 LST (10.5°, Graphite Design Tour AD HD shaft 60R)

Fairway woods: Ping G425 (14.5°, 17.5° & 23°, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange shafts 65S)

Irons: Ping i210 (5-UW, KBS Tgi 80 shafts stepped 1 stiff)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (55 & 60°)

Putter: Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0

Interesting she carries a 3, 5 and 9 wood. The 9 wood looks a useful tool.

There was an article a few days after she won (for the life of me I can't find it now) showing she had two hybrids as well as the 3 fairway woods, and her longest iron was a 7i. Either way, it just shows, when you're playing for money, play what works !

I seen the two high lofted hybrids one as well. It’s a good lesson for us amateurs too if she is using them with her swing speed.

On The Late Late tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Leona very impressive on the Late Late. Very pleasant and likeable.

Leona off to a good start in California for round one of the LPGA JTBC Classic. 3 under through seven holes, currently tied second. Next week the first major of the LPGA season gets underway with the Chevron Championship in the Californian desert. I really believe that Leona will win a major this year, her game is near as faultless as you can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

An OK start to the Lotte in Hawaii. I see however that she didn't birdie any of the par 5s. Stats show she's only 92 nd in driving distance on the LPGA tour . She'll need to be ultra sharp in the rest of her game to compensate for the strokes she'll lose to the field on the pivotal par 5s.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

She's just on a bad run at the minute, she'll get going shortly.

She doesn't have to worry about distance, she's already an LPGA tour winner and shares the record for the lowest score in a major championship with a 61.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

But of a nosedive since the win.

Advertisement