Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a privately purchased used bicycle from the UK

Options
  • 17-02-2022 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Searched but didn't find any answer.

Has anyone bought and imported (via shipping/courier) a used bike bought privately from Great Britain since Brexit and, if so, what are the customs and/or VAT implications. Bike is about 15 years old in v good condition and worth under €1000 if that is relevant.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Vat and duty is still applicabe.

whether you get hit with it is another matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

A mate bought a 2nd hand Di2 shifter from the UK as he couldn't find a new one. Private sale, sent to his brother in London who forwarded it on. He got hit for both duty and VAT on it an I think it ended up costing more than a new one would have (if available)

All this to say, I'd imagine it would be exactly the same with a full bike

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Londonirish72

I investigated similar but the costs could be material if you do have to pay the VAT and duty. An alternative would be to get it sent to Northern Ireland if you know anyone living there, and then you drive up and collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

You'd be better off just flying/ferrying over and picking it up and bringing it back yourself. Customs won't look twice at a used bike at either airport or ferryport. Plus you'd also have the benefit of changing your mind after actually sitting on the bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you have the time, you will need a full day, sail and rail over and back, €80 total, no one will blink at a cyclotourist coming back on the train. At the very least you will get hit with VAT, possibly other customs charges. At a minimum it will be the cost of bike and shipping by 23% plus an admin fee. If it is second hand, they could determine the bike to be very cheap or very expensive unless you have a receipt that shows otherwise, so unless from a business, you are really flying blind here.

The price is irrelevant, as VAT is charged on everything. Like I said, you might be charged €100, you might get charged €300, so decide on if you have the cash or not. Liek I said, I would go for the sail and rail, you can sit on and test the bike there and then. If you like it great, your savings from going over paid for the trip and more. If you don't, it was only €80 to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

are 2nd hand bikes any cheaper over in the UK?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Probably not but you would have a bigger selection than here which can be the main issue in the Irish 2nd hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Cost is way higher just for couriers now. Looked into it about a year ago and pushes any bargains out of bargain price range. That’s without VAT/customs etc.

I have purchased quite a few frames privately from UK over the years, but Brexit has killed it.

As said above, more cost effective to go pick up yourself if have the time/inclination

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭caadmium

OP - I've sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PETERDGRIFFIN

Thanks all for the comments - I will look at the options - Ferry is not really an option due to location but flights might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Where is it located? Might be an enjoyable train ride. I got the boat and train to London before, with my bike, and really enjoyed it.

But taking it back on a plane would probably be a good plan. Although most people recommend a hard case for a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Is this the modern version of the tale of the man crossing the Border every day cycling a bike in the morning then walking back over the Border in the evenings? The custom officers knew he was smuggling something and would stop him and check but nothing was ever found. Until they copped he was smuggling bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.......or the chap leaving the building site every evening with a wheelbarrow full of sawdust. Gate security would do a sift through the sawdust but could never find anything. 10 wheelbarrows went missing before they copped on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

If one were prepared to take a flight, I would recommend Belgium rather than the UK - probably a larger number and range of bikes, spread over a smaller geographical area. I found there to be much better value in second hand bikes than what people were looking for in Dublin.

https://www.2dehands.be/l/fietsen-en-brommers/fietsen-racefietsen/#Language:all-languages|PriceCentsFrom:50000|PriceCentsTo:99900

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you look on the right forums, there's plenty of great value to be had in the UK especially for some steel bikes.

Advertisement