Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newborn calf with twisted tail.

Options
  • 17-02-2022 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

As the title says I have a newborn calf with a twisted tail. Cow calves unassisted last night ( Head first) . It is kinked sideways and up.over his back. Any one see anything like this .Will post a pic soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Had one with just the tail twisted, but not in that position. A Vet may be able to splint it, sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does it feel like the tail has fused in that position or is it moveable? Is it passing dung? I presume as it calved unassisted you do not know if it cam out like that or was damaged after birth?

I'd get the vet out for a look to see if it can be splinted back into shape or if there is any genetic abnormality which might have a deeper impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Picture of calfs tail

Was on to vets. Sent pictures on to them. Tail Not fixable but as long as he's passing manure ( which he is ,) and sucking he should be fine. Vets fear was that it might be a gut issue but with him passing manure there doesn't seem to be any issue there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Yea have seen it, can’t remember any having issues because of it

Picture of calf now. A week old

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A few years ago I bought a group of FR bull calves from a farmer and he threw in (foc) a calf with a twisted tail similar to yours. The calf thrived as well as the others although when our Vet came to do the annual herd test a few months later she said to keep an eye for sunburn and fly strike around it's anus area. It never became a problem.

Advertisement