Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTAI - fixed time AI

Options
  • 16-02-2022 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Just see it mentioned in another thread but didn’t want to hijack it.

I used to do it on 18-20 month heifers. Went the full hog with cidrs and would AI at 24 and 36 hours. Would only average 60% in calf. Did it for about 5 years.

do many do it and what kind of returns you getting.

anyone doing it on older cows?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Who2

Tried it for a few years but it’s bloody expensive and I couldn’t get good conception rates. A friend of mine done sixteen cows last spring, all calved plenty of time, twelve came bulling all ai’d and he had four calves out of that. He won’t be doing it again.

i’ll often try to pull back a late calver but it’s hit and miss.

heifers are a different story, I’d usually just estimate and ai when a bulling. I actually done a batch today to try calve down in plenty of time before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fine with heifers, prob better to plane to ai any repeats on the first round as well as a bull may not manage if the ones that repeat cone close together

Last year I had 56% conception to first serve, year before 76%

Cows prob not ideal, would want records on heats to make sure they are cycling and along with lower conception rates can make it more expensive as well.

Management tool, can mean more, condensed, work at calving and more structured work at breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there any need to synchronise heifers with cidrs, would a shot of estrumate not bring them bulling?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Some do but just to get em all served on the same day synchronising is handy. Dunno the figure but estrumate on its own will bring a certain percentage bulling.

Generally with estrumate it's ai for a week and then estrumate anything not served and they should come in the. Cutting out the watching and serving for the week with synchronising

Advertisement