Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working from home computer requirments ?

Options
  • 06-02-2022 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

My job is moving to home based. I'm told I need a computer with my own internet connection. have a recently bought laptop with 4GB ram and a celeron 4020 processor. Is that sufficient for a job that requires logging into a company server to access customers databases, dealing with queries and MS word tasks, emailing etc ? Would it be reliable for all day use ? It's an Asus E410.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Why are you buying your own computer?

There's a number of issues that arise such as possible transfer of virus or malware from your personal asset to the company network & also breech of GDPR by transferring sensitive company owned information to a personal asset (not even going into the IP issues).

Company should be supplying you with the hardware required to do your job, particularly if they are moving you to home based.

Also, look forward to an increase in your electricity & heating costs & look into wether or not you now need to have liability insurance.

For what it's worth, my own company supplied the laptop but nothing else, had to go out to buy my own monitor, keyboard & mouse & shortly buying a desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you will be working entirely off a VPN and using remote applications over terminal-server, then 4GB of RAM and a celeron will suffice.

If you're planning on doing any other work on your own PC such as office applications etc, then no - that spec is completely insufficient. Having a reasonable virus-scanner installed on that system would cripple the performance leading to significant issues.

I'd suggest that 8GB to 16GB would be a requirement with an i3 or greater CPU.

Go back and ask for one. (& the other kit).

absolutely refuse to work on your own computer (tell them you haven’t got one).

they’re moving you to WFH. They need to supply the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

a celeron processor can barely open excel, also 4gb memory is not sufficient for work and combined with the Celeron will cause you pain . Your job need to buy you a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

How do companys expect to get away with this sort of thing? They would never have dreamt of asking people in an office to supply their own laptop, but many of them seem to think its fine to ask this now the office is shut down. It's nonsense op, tell them to provide you with a laptop. They're already saving a fortune by closing or downsizing the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

What sort of a company are you working for OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I put in a request for a laptop stating mine was not fast enough, they refused and said I need to use my own. So I sold my Celeron laptop and bought a HP Core i3 laptop instead so I guess I'm stuck to use my own system.

I work in a property related business.

Start looking for another job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

I wouldn’t usually be one to “employer bash” but, unless there are some circumstances that the OP hasn’t mentioned, I would definitely be looking for a new role. I’m surprised that this is actually legal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I don't see the problem to be honest. I have hated any time I have had to use the company's laptop to work. Have always preferred BYOD.

With my current employer, not only did they provide everybody with laptops prior to the pandemic to enable work from home, but they have recently issued everyone with very expensive state-of-the-art laptops, yet most people are still using their own.

The best way around it is for the company to just give everyone the ability to buy their own equipment and expense it back to the company (with a cap and decent guideline prices etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Seems absolutely crazy, you could be installing any software or malware on your own laptop, your employer is obviously not too security conscious.

Actually, they are security paranoid. But BYOD is perfectly secure. Far moreso than most company-issued laptops as it focuses security protocols to the right area. My computer could be the most riddled, hacked device there is, but it won't impact the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not sure where I saw it but somebody had been hacked and their screen recorded while using a VM client. Somebody went through the recordings and had OCR'd the documents they had worked on including very confidential client information. But most places have given clients basic VPN access, which in itself is not very secure.

If someone was recording my screen, the last thing I would be worried about is what I was up to on the VM! 🤣

BYOD should never EVER be used in a production environment. It's ok for accessing webmail etc, but should never connect to the LAN

It doesn't. Most companies have gone to VM's these days and/or provide cloud-based tools, and don't expose the LAN via VPN. Far safer than company laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

I think an Asus E410 is a good one.

There's no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best laptop for working from home will vary depending on your individual needs and preferences. However, I would recommend a laptop with at least an Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD.

That should give you enough power to run multiple programs and browsers at once, and the SSD will ensure that your machine is fast and responsive.

I use a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, I believe this has been discontinued already and it works perfectly fine for typical office tasks. For example with me, it's back and forth emails with our customers and fulfillment of orders for our customers. But of course, there are plenty of other factors to consider when choosing a laptop for working from home, so be sure to do your research and find the one that best suits your needs.

Advertisement