Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Route from Citywest to Four Courts

• 16-02-2022 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭

Morning!

Trying to figure out if there's a better more direct cycle route into work from where I live.

The route I keep getting online is telling me to head through Tallaght into Walkinstown then Crumlin then towards the Coombe. It's a bit of a trek and drags you through some areas that are not great for cycling at rush hour so im trying to find a better more straightforward route if possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

going from rathcoole, i go across Belgard and in the long mile at the red cow luas, then inchcore and the quays

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So if you where to head from say Citywest shopping center would you be heading towards belgard via fettiercairn luas line direction or?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Not the most direct route, but the R136 has bike lane all the way to Grange Castle where you can drop on to the canal path and take that as far as Rialto. Then take the left at Suir Road Luas and down to Islandbridge.

There's also a route mentioned on google maps heading via the n7. Are you allowed to cycle on the Naas road? Always thought you couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

You can, but it's not particularly enjoyable. You'd probably be dropping on to it at the Kingswood interchange and from there to Newlands Cross there's a hard shoulder. Where the N7 crosses over Newlands Cross there is a very narrow hard shoulder and even if you are allowed on it on this stretch on a bike, I'd say it'd be dodgy. You could follow the Old Naas Road alongside the N7 instead, then go through the Luas complex at the Red Cow, over the pedestrian bridge and back down on to the Naas Road.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info! It's kinda confusing to me the whole cycling down that area because I rarely see bikes around there it doesn't look the safest area for them. I don't drive so im not to familiar with a lot of these roads other than being a passenger.

Yeah so follow the luas line to belgard. I turn left there, all the way down to newlands. Turn right and then follow naas road in through inchicore

Sounds straightforward enough! How do you find it with heavy vehicles etc around Newlands and the Naas road? Cause I know from cycling in the city center before it can be messy at times had a few near misses.

It's ok, it's only really the part under the flyover that you are on the road, there's a cycle lane more or less the whole way to inchicore

I'll have to try it out one the days so thanks! I just have this view of the Naas road as being jam-packed I can't imagine where u even fit bikes never mind trying to safely cycle one in rush hour ha. If its only really at the flyover where your in the mix then should be a straightforward trip compared to my previous route.

• Advertisement
Advertisement