Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling infrastructure planned for Galway

Options
  • 16-02-2022 1:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭

yes, it is intended as a somewhat cynical thread title. but the shenanigans in salthill may end up taking up its own thread.

a chap i know based in galway is cynical about what's been happening there; there was significant public buy-in, despite the nay sayers, and he reckons the volte face by some parties on their commitment to cycling may have been as much to do with not wanting to hand the greens the win (the killing of the trial has forfeited €1m from the DoT on this).

despite several of the more high profile objections (i'm thinking of the emergency services access ones) being addressed in an alternative proposal, that proposal was also rejected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bit late for this thread, wouldn't you say?

But no, I do understand they are going to revisit a long term permanent proposal, likely based on the Atkins report of 2017 for an off-road route out to Silverstrand.

Has to be said though that the handling of this by both sides of Galway City Council, elected and executive alike has, to date, been dreadful. That September Council vote in the blind should never have been tabled. There should never have been any vote until post the public consultation on actual options. The Mayor shouldn't have enabled it and the executive should've alerted her to the inappropriateness of calling it.

It highlights again the necessity of a Part 8,or something that mirrors a Part 8 for cycleway proposals, because it sets out very clearly the procedural steps to get to a vote and how all ducks are got in a row before that happens.

The debacle also proves beyond doubt, that there is no such thing as temporary, or a trial, that Joe Public doesn't trust those nebulous and non-statutory terms. I saw a Facebook thread in recent days on the CMR in Dun Laoghaire and one local said he's been pushing the Council to carry out the statutory procedure to either confirm or remove it, but the Council said that even 21 months on, they only have interim data and so to perform the procedure yet would be premature! How could anyone have faith in Galway or Dublin Councils talking about six month windows when this is what you get back once the thing is on the ground.

Advertisement