Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Recommendations

Options
  • 15-02-2022 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Can you folks recommend some science fiction and fantasy books (or book series) for a teenager? Space opera, cyberpunk, steam punk, sword & sorcery, etc…

Looking for any age range - YA or adult - with decent female characters, no sex or romance (or where it a only secondary element in the story).

”Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” is one I have in mind.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Jack Campbell's "Lost fleet" series

Nicholas Eames "Bloody Rose" series

Steven Kent "The Clone Rebellion" series

Post edited by Nody on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I just finished the Expanse series. It's fairly light, good female characters, a bit of sex, but not explicit, more relationships and emotional links rather than sex focused. 9 books, and an accompanying TV series if so inclined.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The Gollancz SF masterworks series is an excellent place to start.

It's a really curated collection.

Some of the books from decades past aren't that heavy on anything explicit.

Alfred Bester's THE DEMOLISHED MAN is a good one, it's THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO in space, basically.

For female leads in SF in general I always think of Lois McMaster Bujold's CORDELIA's HONOR. The main protagonist is a female scientist. There is a romantic component to it, in that she has a love interest, but overall it's an adventure story.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Children of Time and Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky are two favourites I've read in the past while. There will be a third one out later in the year.

Plenty of female characters (though not all human!)

Advertisement