Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Don’t look at what he wrote (yes it’s in German) but the plan itself. Most is just plain numbers and yes in km. 😁 not sure if an English version is out there but he basically came from nowhere. Well known on the scene as the then fastest German runner but certainly not a sub2:10 athlete (before Nike supershoe). It took some by surprise and he started posting his training because of that (if I recall correctly).

impressive training.

Thursday 3rd: 5.2 miles - mostly on grass again - noting too hectic.

5.20/8.40

Friday 4th: Another Easy 5m run - I went out on Thursday night and had 3 pints. Felt like I had 20. Tired on Friday - was tempted to take a rest day but felt ok later on.

5m/8.20

Saturday 5th: Legs finally felt normal fr the 1st time this week - Ran down to the Park - done 7-8 strides and headed home via the canal. I noted the wind direction as I was planning my route for Sundays last MP long run this cycle.

I got the chance of a number for Trim 10m - but declined it - I wanted to be in control of my run tomorrow - also the 12pm start time didn't suit.

A day of sport on the TV - Rugby, Dublin GAA :( , Spurs in the FA cup - 2/3 aint bad.

8m total

Sunday 6th: I was behaved Sat night - zero alcohol and good food.

I was somewhat 'angsty' about the run on Sunday, mainly because I was so tired this week and also because it was the 'final' one in my head - I just wanted it done.

My plan was to do 4/3/2/1 miles at 5 secs or so faster than MP - with a WU/CD for 17-18 miles.

I'd done a similar workout 2 weeks prior to Rotterdam and it was in keeping with all advice taper'ish - '2 weeks out - keep the intensity the same but reduce the volume' - I had done a similar workout the previous week but with 15 miles rather than todays 10.

Breakfast was a bagel - that ran through me (out of date 🤮 ) - I drove to the PP and done my Warmup, actually running back to the house to use the toilet again!.

Started the 4m section with a mile into the wind and then a good 3m to just before the canal. (averaged 6.19 here (MP=6.25)

Took 4 mins recovery and onto the canal path for the 2nd part - 3m on a slight downhill with a kinda tailwind (6.17/6.18/6.19) - took a gel on this section. No issues.

The 2m rep was a tale of 2 miles - 1st one felt great (6.10) then turned onto Phisboro Road & North Circular and hit a 6.22 - much more effort required for this, especially on NCR.

I had purchased a small squeezy bottle to put my Anti Cramp drink in for ease of use - tried it here and it worked a treat - lets just hope the Hotshot works if required in Seville.

2 min recovery and the last mile was hard - NCR and into the park - finishing just past Garda HQ.

2 and a bit miles to the Car.

17 miles total at 7.03 ave pace

Felt great when I got home - probably the best I've felt after a long run in this block - but it was 'only' 17 miles with less intensity than last week.

Enjoyed seeing the results come in from the 2 10 milers this weekend - some great results in poor conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Have you tried this hotshot drink yet? Sorry but I'm not sure if it's the bottle or the drink you tried at the weekend.

Yep - its a 60ml bottle of liquid - tried it on my last 2 long runs - no issues taking it, but needed to transfer it to a squeezy bottle.

Lets hop its effective.

• Advertisement

Meant to add;

I wore the Next% on my weekend run.

Despite me wearing them for my 5k/5m/10m/HM PB's - they feel somewhat 'Normal' compared to the AlphaFlys.

I noted in my earlier miles that my heels were 'pounding' more as opposed to the AF's where you seem to 'rock' more onto the forefoot - this, coupled with the additional cushioning in the heel on the AF's make this my preferred shoe for Seville - I think I'll get more return from it and the legs wont get as beat up - which should mean that the cramps 'may' not come??

PS:

I checked the weather in Seville today for Sunday 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Brilliant running AK! Horse of a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Fair play on another solid run. I know you are feeling a good bit of “only” x length runs as of late but your nailing them you have plenty of volume in. The legs from over the years, Trust your body, better off feeling slightly undercooked vs slightly over, always.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great stuff, you're flying it A. It's like reading a different log from when I followed your training 7/8 years ago!!

Question on the cramping: If I remember correctly, it seemed to happen in the last mile or two mainly? i.e. mainly after running for almost 3 hours. Do you think now that only running for only 2:4x will help? In other words, is it time on your feet or distance covered that is the bigger protagonist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey Alan,

Great news, I'm finally up to date on one log. I have read your marathon training cycle over the past few days and it has been superb. Some savage sessions.

I hope Mam is ok and glad nothing sinister with your insides also.

Have a great marathon in Seville. It is a wonderful place to visit.

• Advertisement

Monday 7th: Woke up feeling very fresh - just read Murphs update regarding alcohol and I had a very easy week alcohol wise - maybe 2 glasses of wine all week? - Could be something in that (........but only when needed :) ) - in saying this - I'm going out on Sat night :)

Easy run - legs felt quite ok here.

6.7m / 8.16 pace.

Tuesday 8th: Got a text from my Seville bound buddy and met her at Whites gate where we traversed the wet & sloppy trails. Nice run in the drizzle.

7.1 / 8.30 pace

Wednesday: Last 'big' session prior to Seville - I've done this for previous Marathons - its on the JD plan too :) - 1T/2MP/1T/2MP

So 6 miles of effort.

I ran down to the PP (wearing Fuelcells), done some strides and started the session heading down the OS Road - 1st T mile was horrible - felt like I hadn't ran at tempo pace since God was a boy. I was struggling at 6.05's.

Mile 1 beeped at 6.02 and I was on the Furze - I slowed to MP and still felt a bit tough - after a few mins I noted I was recovering while still running faster than MP - this is a definite pattern that I notice in all my pace runs - it takes me a couple of miles to find the rhythm and then allow the body to catch up. I was still pushing too hard for the intention of the session.

Mile 2 was 6.16 as I was heading around my 2 mile Loop on the North Road - the 3rd mile was no better at 6.18 - but I was commited to that pace.

I picked up the 3rd mile going up Chesterfield to Tempo pace, feeling the slight incline but also the wind. Finished this mile out at 6.05. The effort was tough, but not redlining - I was going to run the next 2 miles at 'real MP' but decided to take a 90sec recovery which allowed me to run the next 2 miles at faster than MP. (6.08/6.16)

A good 6 mile 'tempo' - probably more T/HMP than MP - but I'll take that and also the way I recovered after the 1st couple of miles and found the pace.

Marathon day will be more disciplined on the pace.

10.4m / 7.03 pace

Thursday: Planned Rest day!

Looking forward to this taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

"I was recovering while still running faster than MP - this is a definite pattern that I notice in all my pace runs"

What a great sign this is - fair play, A, you've had such a consistent block of training for what seems like an age now. Even with the chopping and changing you do with your sessions (I can't keep up), you're still putting in huge volumes, overall, at all the right levels. Enjoy the rest of the taper, whatever happens in Seville, you've set yourself up really well

Friday 11th: Easy miles with 10x20sec strides. The top of the hamstring/glute is a tad tight - I noticed it last week and have been foam rolling etc.

Nothing too concerning.

5.7 miles.

Saturday 12th: Easy run - probably should have hooked up with someone for this as it felt awful - the last double digit one always does. One of those where every incline feels mountainous, every breeze feels like a hurricane. Was going to do 13m but done less. Meh.

11.43m / 8.08

Sunday: Another rest day - I rolled the bejaysus out of my arse with a hockey ball on Sat night - feels fantastic today. Job done.

T minus 1 week.

Read over my previous Marathons Tapers and execution - theres some good titbits of info in there from myself that I forgot (regarding gels, caffeine gel timing, over eating etc).

Going to try to keep things as 'same' as usual this week with everything - just run less miles each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Be sure to share those titbits of info when you get a chance 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Jaysus, marathon week already! Sounds like you're in great shape but will be torturing yourself all week for the final tapering of overthinking 😆 Will have everyone crossed for you that you have a cracking race. Everything has gone to plan(ish) and some savage sessions done - you should be in positive form going into it.

"Have I done enough" - its always in the back of your mind.

As usual on Marathon week - I check back on my training - which looks like;

• 16 week block - 910 miles from start to last Sunday.
    • 26 runs over 13.2 miles
    • 20 runs over 15 miles
    • 13 runs over 17 miles
    • 7 runs over 20 miles.
    • 1 run of 2 hour 50 mins (time on feet run) - 22miles.
    • 5k PB along the way.

The amount of longer runs is a consequence of following a 2 Long Run/Session approach - a mixture of JD and some other sessions that I like.

Lets see where it takes me in Seville.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

If you like a plate of pasta, or a pizza and a bit of tiramisu on the Saturday pre-race..... I can highly recommend https://ocagiuliva.es I was going to recommend a nice coffee shop to kill time, but it looks like COVID might have killed the business! Im sure you will find plenty to do.

A booking might be necessary for that restaurant if you choose to go. The two times I have been there, there have been a lot of very disappointed ppl in a variety of colourful running attires, many with nervous grimaces associated with phantom niggles, turned away by the friendly staff.

Solid training, best of luck with the race. It's a great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck A. hope you have a great run on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

That's a really impressive marathon block when you summarise in the way that you did. Plus I'd add that you got plenty of MP miles in during those longer runs too. You're in great shape A. It just a matter of negotiating the travel and rest and visualising a big PB 😉 Best of luck and enjoy the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Wishing you best of luck in Seville A.

A bit of luck with the weather and you're set to smash it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck in Seville there A, hoping it comes together very nicely on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck A, you will smash it! Seville looks amazing, definitely a marathon I'd like to do in the future. Enjoy it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Love that post I make it about 57/58 average mpw? Super training and you really went after it, that will stand you in great stead for the race. The very best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

All the best A. Some great sessions the last few months. Hope you get the result to match. Will it be Viva Sevilla ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Great block A, all the best in Seville, give it full blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The very best of luck Alan, you deserve a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Best of luck, A. Some savage sessions completed..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Good luck tomorrow! Hope all goes to plan ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Good luck tomorrow Alan! Hope it goes to plan and you enjoy it.

Advertisement