Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being left out of birthday parties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

absolutely- seen these cows of mothers several times. The only solution is ignoring them and getting in with your life. And stick their painful parties where the sun don’t shine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭rolling boh

think it was pretty thoughtless not to invite the girl she made a card and proberly expected to be invited i know things are not always fair and people can have who they want at a party but to leave out one in the class was poor form i think .

Did you read the updated post from the OP?

"OP here. There is no way to know for sure who went and who didn't. We can only go by the information our daughter gave us and the text we received trying to justify not inviting our daughter after she had made a card for the birthday girl."

They don't know for sure that their daughter was the only child not invited. The mother text that only four in the class were going. Same as the first party a month ago, it seems. So unless she is lying, 7 minus 4 does not does not equal 1 child left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

‘Our daughter gives a card she made to the girl and the mother texts to say thanks and tries to justify why my daughter cannot go…’

Oh, that breaks my heart. I’m sorry that I’ve no advice to give.

My advice would be to move on from it. It is hurtful and bullying but why waste time and emotional head space on people not worth the bother. It is very hard on young kids but my suggestion would be to try make other avenues for friends for her girl rather than wasting time and effort on those too far up their own arses. It’s a bit like dating- “plenty more fish in the sea”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

That’s the point that is being missed here by some posters. Nobody expects that all children be invited to all parties. The issue is leaving out one kid.

Its not about teaching kids that life is tough, they will find that out anyway. But a bit of consideration and kindness goes a long way too.

Some parents have been extremely vocal on this thread that in their opinion, all children must be invited.

And again, the OP of this thread has confirmed that they don't know with 100% certainty, that their child was the only one not invited. They are going on information supplied by an eight year old, which contradicts what the birthday child's mother actually texted (that four children were going - not all).

A bit of cart being put before the horse, here, methinks.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Poor kid! That hits right in the feels. OP should definitely call out the parents of the birthday girl and tell the other parents in the group about what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Well, if you want to get personal... sorry is my lack of tolerance for foolishness showing?

I rather that, then a helicopter parent with an over-inflated sense of entitlement on behalf of my little darlings, who must never suffer disappointment, ever.

"oh, my feels!"

(Cringe)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I'm sensing a bit of heartlessness Loueze. And the smiling face as an avatar..

And helicopter parents raise snowflakes with the same sense of entitlement as they have themselves.

You are the kind of obstinate person that I avoid in real-life. It is clear that you have a high regard for your own opinion and everybody else is just silly. Snowflake is just a lazy term for people to throw about. I would rather raise slightly snow-flake kids than the kind who would single out a little girl and not to invite her. Just my childless opinion.

You are the kind of obstinate person that I avoid in real-life.

Trust me, the feeling is completely mutual.

I have zero tolerance for drama llamas who blow every little thing out of proportion and scream "bully!" at every imagined slight towards them or their children. I find them exhausting.

I didn't have any patience with it when I was raising my own, and I have even less now.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

Sorry your kid had to experience that. Take her for a treat the same day and she won't be long forgetting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

OP, I think the crux here is if your girl was the only girl excluded from the party.

You'll hear over time.

But I still stand over my earlier reaction that to exclude just one girl from the class is really mean.

If there was an issue between your daughter and the birthday child (which happens all the time), you'd hope that mother would approach your wife or the school to try and resolve it.

To thine own self be true

Any person above the age of 10 who says drama llama in a non-ironical way is off my list of associates. It is too hard to take them seriously. Gives an insight into their mean-girl mentality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Deeec

You are bang on with this comment. I couldnt agree more - bullies dont lick it off the ground. It is learned behaviour from home.

Any parent who leaves a child out at that age is giving the message to their child that it is ok not to include everyone - a very poor message to be giving a child for their future life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Are both girls good friends? Do they play with each other daily outside of school?

Jolivmmx, you've quite the "mean girl" mentality yourself.

From your first post on this thread all you've done is make personal attacks on me.

Now, it's water off a ducks back to me what some irrelevant stranger on the Internet thinks they know about me based on a few posts on an Internet forum, but you do like starting the pile on, don't you?

Why don't you focus your attention on the OP instead of trying to bully me off the thread with your bitchy little comments?

If my posts so offend you, use the ignore function. That's what it's for.

You have a nice day now.

Blimey, a simple question from the OP has ended up becoming a bit of a tussle! Happy Valentine's Day y'all

Look, I will be honest. I was left out as a kid on one particular occasion. I was the only one also. It was extremely hurtful. It leads to a lot of wondering why I wasn’t good enough. I blamed myself. I mean who would want a nerdy loser at their party. My mother (this is late 90s) went to the mother of one of the children. She was very upset. We used to do car-pooling. She was dismissive and heartless, in a manner that reminds me of your own. This callous lady’s daughter has by all accounts grown into a very cruel person, devoid of any empathy towards those close to her. Me, it hurt. I had to work on my self-esteem. But in the long run, it is better to be the uncool kid than the cruel kid. People accepted me when I went into secondary school. I have my group of friends now. And most importantly, I have empathy. I wouldn’t trade all my difficult experiences for my empathy

Funny. I am the snow-flake. Yet, you take umbrage to the fact that I am simply countering your response. You called me a “drama llama”. Am I meant to just take it. If you don’t like it, don’t give it. I could say the same to you about ignoring my messages

Aw that is so mean :(((((. I have an 8 year old girl and I would be devastated if she was excluded like that. Their self esteem at that age is so fragile, we have to protect them.

Something similiar happened to my child...Another girl in the class went away on holidays and brought back a bag full of souvenirs for all the girls in the class. Said girl purposefully didn't hand my child a souvenir. My child came out of school crying and upset. There is a lot of politics going on with this child and her mother. Unhinged is not the word. I do not want my child to purposefully exclude anyone but I have encouraged her to focus on her true friends in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Excluding a child leads to resentment. There were two birthday parties and one of the birthday girl's mother expects my wife to be neighbourly and friendly and go fitness walking but unfortunately I think the goodwill is gone.

I remember a fair bit of this type stuff going on in school (20-30 years ago now!), happening to me on occasion and also others in the class.

One incident stands out where one “friend” was supposed to come around to my house one Saturday. Come Saturday morning, no sign. Rang his house to check where he was- can distinctly remember the mother saying in rushed lying times “oh, he’s give to his cousins house”! Low and behold I see him being dropped off down the road to anothers house in his dads van. If he didn’t want to call around that was fine but it’s obvious some parents do indeed facilitate this kind of behaviour from personal experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭livingdgx

Birthday party invites tend to come down to who your kid is friends with. When I was in school, we only invited our close friends to birthday parties and left the rest out. Maybe your daughter just isn’t friends with the girl anymore and you’re unaware.

I always skipped the parties I was invited to by parents, unless I was close to the birthday girl lol

Advertisement