Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning - Windows 10 Update KB5007186

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

So, to cut a long story short the problem is seemingly resolved.

Out of sheer desperation I ran the update advisor from the Microsoft website, which indicated that I was on a version of Windows that wasn't supported and I need to upgrade to Windows 21H2 (despite Winver telling me I was on it!)

The Update advisor then went and downloaded a whole load of stuff, restarted and DID NOT CRASH. Now to wait for the next lot of updates to come through and see what happens, but now for the first time in ages, I am fully up to date!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aha, so it was an identity crisis?

That's what it seems like at first.

However now I'm having performance and lag issues since the update. The whole machine feels like it's running about a quarter of the speed that it was before the update. Even login that used to take a second or two takes 10.

It's just took administrator command prompt 3 minutes to load (but the normal one opens straight away) and I can't open in game on Steam at all as they all just say running but take a few minutes to launch

Back to square one, as annoying as the issues with the updates were, the performance and lag issues are far worse.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Very likely that it is downloading a whole clatter of related updates in background, but not yet ready to tell you to install them.

A couple of full power off cycles when you're sure it's not downloading updates may help, it seems to kick the system into reorganising internal structures somehow, but I've long given up trying to work out how the Microsoft mentality works in cases like this, Windows has become too big and bloated to try and work out what's going on at this stage.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Machine just blue screened and I'm now in a complete blue screen loop now.

One step forward ten steps back. Honestly am starting to accept I need to bite the bullet and do a full reinstall however painful it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

oh bogger...

If going for that, remove secondary out of equation and if/when reconnecting(after all updates, etc) do not use same SATA port

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It has got to the stage that I turn my work laptop on most days now, just to let it fill itself with all the update crap that I don't ask for , or need. Better to let it go through the motions on my time, than have a room full of people waiting for my presentation to load up while the laptop sits there doing noting for half an hour.

I seem to be taking more update bloatware on board, on more frequent occasions recently... so much so, that I can't risk taking the laptop for work use without turning it on the day before and letting it sort itself out.

I couldn't even get system restore to work this time as it said system protection was disabled. I re enabled it from command prompt and ran system restore and the machine now boots.

However I cannot login as it says it cannot access my pin and to re set it up. I click that and then I get a message saying I'm not connected to the internet Ironically in the tray in the bottom corner it says I am connected!!!

So I've now had to go back even further in system restore, initially didn't work because system protection was off, which I had to re-enable via command prompt and do a system restore, which they couldn't restore because of a registry problem.

I then (finally) got system restore to work after running commands in command prompt and then after the restore it said completed successfully, it started windows and then started trying to install updates even before the login screen!

The updates, failed, and the machine restarted and blue screened again, on the next restart it attempted automatic repairs, and rebooted, and I could finally log in with my PIN and I thought, hey presto, least I won't be any worse off than this morning hopefully.

Only Google Chrome took 8 minutes to open after clicking it and performance is truly shocking, even right clicking something took forever for the context menu to appear and thinking Chrome was totally corrupt as it was taking so long, I downloaded it again in Edge (which works flawlessly) only the installer couldn't connect to the internet!

Not sure what on earth is going on but now I'm back in Windows I'm backing everything up to external media or the cloud as a full reinstall clearly is needed. CPU frequency is being misreported in Windows versus what in Ryzen Master too. and temps are looking a little strange, bouncing between unrealistically low figures (11c) normal (50c) and high 95c.

Makes me wonder about the health of the CPU and if it's the culprit here?

Post edited by devnull on

Is this with one disk or secondary still present ?

The awful performance is present in both scenarios Once an app launches, it generally is fine, but the amount of time it takes to launch can be a while. The performance is well down what I had before yesterday.

I've put all the fans on full blast in the case and CPU fan on full blast as well and the temps are still bouncing all over the place. I assumed that they were coming from BIOS so should be accurate, but guess what? I go into the BIOS and the temps look normal!

This is all very weird stuff and honestly I'm seeing more and more weirdness. Next weekend is going to be a fresh install with fully clean drives, we'll see how that goes. I'm sick of dealing with all the strange problems to be honest, one thing after another.

I'm half tempted to try another CPU in there, since it's one of the only things I haven't changed but CPU's going wrong are pretty rare.

Edit: Power plan was on power saver, changed to high performance - sluggishness problem solved. Weird Windows changed it to that by itself.

• Advertisement

Some Apps continue to behave very weird whilst some are not affected at all, for instance, XBOX app takes 5 minutes to load and then just looks like this.

Microsoft Store happens to always look a bit like this and hangs without even being able to get as far as updates.

So, I'm trying to create a USB media of Windows 10 and I'm not able to do so, because my lovely current Windows install that I am using just happens to get stuck like this when creating it.

Also many websites fail to load in the browser for no apparent reason, just hang and give a network error. Meanwhile I've just got notification of a Steam achievement for a game that I closed down 20 minutes ago.

All very odd and a reinstall clearly is needed, but I can't even create the media right now! Or can I create the media on another device and it will still work?

You can and it will work.

Thanks, just having that run now whilst I start backing stuff up.

Pain in the ass that the Xbox game store requires full redownload of everything, unlike Steam.

Advertisement