Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 5 series - money pit?

• 10-02-2022 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So long story short need to get second car. At first I wanted something in banger range and replace it after a year, but after looking at the crazy market I thought why not buy something which I will enjoy driving. The result, 2008ish BMW 5-series. My budget would be max 5000€. I see few which caught my attention the question now would they be a big money pit? I'm aware of chain fault, anything else which can make me think twice about going for one?

Alternative is Honda Accord, similarly priced, had one love it. I know it would be much realistic choice as for being less problematic car.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭kirving

A €5k 5 series could be great value, or a money pit. A 14 yo BMW is more than likely the latter unless it's been meticulously maintained, including pre-emptive preventative maintenance. There's just so much stuff to go wrong over and above most other cars - my 7yo E-Class for example needed gearbox oil changed, air suspension work, a coolant leak deep within the engine, with no room to fix it easily. Those things just don't tend to be problematic on less premium cars, and if they do go wrong, cost less to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you don't have the luxury of setting a side a bit of money for an unexpected expensive repair bill, then you know the answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Rustyman101

Accord hands down if you want trouble free motoring, drove one for 18 years what a car, miss it, rust got it in the end, but mechanically & electrically never missed a beat !

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

So like with every premium car its gonna be hard to find a decent one. Im so tempted, i know that it can kill my wallet in the mean time. But it so nice to drive.

What about newer gen 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

2010 F10 no better or worse than a late E60. The reason a lot of these cars are money pits is people who buy them without giving any thought as to the running costs, maintenance gets missed in the car goes downhill. A Honda accord would be a far safer bet. If you are determined to buy the BMW go to the forums and try and find an enthusiast maintained one.

• Advertisement

Ill check BMW boards, thanks.

What about pricing on Accords? Have like two in my sight, both 2008 new shape, one slightly poorer spec for 2800€, which leaves me with few € for insurance,tax etc. Second one with camera, parking sensors, heated seats but for 4000€.

Do you have a link to the Accord for 4k?

If it has a good service history I'd suggest giving it a serious look, there's a reason there's a lot of them with high miles - they are basically bulletproof and if it's well specced, good miles and service history €4k would get you 10 years if you look after it!

Got myself a carcheck record. Looks that it was traded to garage couple months ago. Story with last owner having the car fir 6 years checks but that sale by private person when it was traded kinda puts me off. I know that it could be one of garage employees trying to earn extra buck.

Don't know now. I'm not in a big hurry to buy a car now, just my wife will have to deal with bus for longer period.

Post edited by yoshiktk on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I don't think the Honda diesel engine in that Accord had a good reputation.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Don't buy a big older car unless you can maintain it and repair it yourself.

• Advertisement

What to buy than? I'm a big lad, two meters high and wide I won't fit into a Yaris without a can opener.

I need something comfy and with decent engine. I had the opportunity to drive previous Accord model and so far it was one of best engine/gearbox combo for me, that's why Accord was on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Consider a petrol Mazda 6 too. Nice car and similar reliability to the Accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

I seen this add the other day. Looks like a good one, should drive forever

Didn't thought about that as I look at diesel only and I know that Mazda have terrible diesel engines.

I'll probably try to check that Accord at weekend and see from there.

Basically almost all cars which are on my list can be a big money pit.

I was thinking about going banger but than I loose money on tax and insurance and end up paying the same money in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Buying an accord over a 5 series bmw is the definition of giving up in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭Allinall

Bullshit comment from someone who knows very little about cars.

Of course would prefer 5 series over Accord but spending 1500€ on day one on timing chain just in case made me wake up from my childhood dream.

I've called today about BMW with recently replaced chain, but as soon I've asked about receipt/proof guy hang up on me.

Dunno. Have mess in mind, on one hand my dreams are fighting with reality and it doesn't help in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Buy a cheaper reliable petrol and take the fuel penalty or spend more and take the risk on a German diesel. That's basically what it comes down to at to your budget.

• Advertisement

You would get the chains done on the bmw far cheaper than €1500 so shop around.

Two years older but if you got a 520d with the older m47 engine registration 08 €280 tax. Far superior car than the retired metal work teachers car anyway.

Thanks for all input, probably will spend a day on excel doing all the math.

Just another question about 520d, how are the automatic boxes on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd steer clear of higher mileage 5 series tbh.

Beyond the chain issue other wearing items are just expensive.

Had a 2011 f10.

When it hit 200000km I did the chain, €1000. Also put €1500 into the suspension. Mechanic reckoned same issues on an A6 be half the price, though he loved Audi. Simple things like pads and particularly discs were dear.

Oh and on the height thing. 2m is very tall. But if nobody needs to go behind you it's a non issue really.

Brother is same height. Gets company cars every 6 months, leased. Has to be choosey but reckons VW group from golf up are all good. Has an a3 today. Superb last.

Turned down a kia ceed after trying for a day. And struggled with a focus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

Came to a 2012 F10 from a 2008 Honda Accord. I loved the Accord, it was great, through I was constantly repairing things with it. Nothing major. The 520 was a heart over head thing and thankfully it's been great. A joy to drive. I did have the common heater fan problem, had to replace it there in the last month. Other than that, touch wood, it's been great. I knew the risk when I was buying it, so I bought it at a reasonable price from someone I felt I could trust. I also got the receipts for the timing chain beforehand, and talked to the mechanic who did the job!

It's not only the height but weight as well, I'm a big lad, so that makes many cars to small for me. Like I40 or Insignia, I feel like in small fish tank inside. Remember Hightower car scene from Police Academy? That's me.

To be honest I haven't checked 2008+ A6, maybe I'll have to take a look on it as well.

Problem is that most of cars in my price range are high mileage ones simply due age, question is where to draw a line?

I still have 2 years loan on my first car, meaning that for at least that time I would keep the second one and maybe replace it with something newer then. So I'm torn between just buying anything which will kinda drive me thru this time or buy something with my heart and spend few €€€ and keep it for longer.

Left field.

We have a CRV.

Crossovers not everyone's cup of tea (including mine, it's the wife's car)

But for a big guy be a great job. Lovely wide seat that goes right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

have a 2008 e60 n47 myself the last 8 years. still look very well today.the chain was done in mine when I bought it along with a lot of other stuff totalling 3k.its well maintained by myself and serviced every 10000km.only big expense was a new intake manifold and that's it bar general wear and tear.most of the basic things like oil and filters and brakes and coolant change I do myself.still very happy with it and don't think ill change it just yet

Shhh my wife wants one. Even had one saved on donedeal, 2010 with all extras for a think 6000€, a little over my budget.

Bmw is growing on me more and more. Wife wanted to replace sofa so I'll just put towards it into the car repair budget.

The most irritating thing I find now are the idiots putting the ads up. Pictures? Yeah in the night from a block mile away. Like wtf really. Want to sell it? Prepare it. Some of them look inside out like a barn.

Post edited by yoshiktk on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I could have posted this exact thread myself so been reading it with great interest. May also have to pick up a second car to cover 5-6k per year.

Would prefer petrol and something big and comfy. Anything sub 7-800 tax with a budget of 5k.

Mercedes/BMW/Audi are high up the list but the choice of petrol models isn't fantastic. Have also had an accord previously (a 2004 executive model) and that is an option too. Same predicament, buy something more premium given the low mileage it will do and accept the higher maintenance costs or else lean somewhere more frugal.

Advertisement