Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick query re using Tag on Motorways

• 06-02-2022 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have never used a Tag at a motorway before so a quick query and am grateful for replies.

1 When you use the right lane for the tags is there a barrier there? I assume you drive in carefully and wait for a barrier to lift and then proceed? Or is there no barrier at all and you simply drive through and your tag is read?

2 If for whatever reason, can you use any other lane at the Toll and it will read the tag and lift the barrier without paying?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Damien360

The tag is read on all lanes. If there is a barrier (all except M50), on express lane, as long as you approach at about 50 kmph, you have plenty of time as the barrier raises and you continue on. On other lanes that are cash/card/tag, you will come to a complete stop, it will read the tag, open the barrier and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭bobbyss

That's great thank you. Just to confirm.

1 So I could go into the regular cash lane (as I have been doing) and stop and my tag will be read and the barrier lifts. Even though these lanes seem to say CASH ONLY?

2 There is a barrier on the express lanes on motorways? (I know about M50.)

3 I drive slowly into the express lane on the motorway (not M50) and my tag will be read and the barrier lifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

1. Correct. In some cases, you don't even have to stop, just slow down and watch for the “traffic light” to turn green.
    2. Correct.
    3. Correct. Generally there is a 50kmh speed limit, I usually slow to about 40kmh. Only thing to watch is to avoid tailgating - leave a good distance between you and the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is a exit on your left just before the barrier in the eToll express lane. So if there is a problem with the overhead reader or your tag, you can get out of the express lane and drive to one of the other lanes, virtually all of them have a tag reader. The tag readers in those lanes are lower and better able to pickup a tag with a weak battery so if the battery in your tag is running low, you'll usually get away with a few trips through the other lanes before it stops working altogether.

The main reason for using the express lane is that you don't have to stop but you can't whizz through because if you're going too fast, the reader can't pick up your tag and the barrier won't lift.

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your replies.

• Advertisement

I no longer use the express lanes as the barrier once dropped down on me with no time to stop.

I read that the same thing happened to many others also so I just drive through the other lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

When you’re in the express lane, there are two things to watch out for. If your tag isn’t read, an overhead sign (about 30m in) will tell you to escape to the left as coylemj mentioned. If your tag is tag correctly, the sign will tell you to go straight. Don’t assume that you’ll be able to go straight just because your tag beeps. It’s rare but be prepared in case it happens. For example, if your tag is low on credit and suspended, it will beep but you’ll be directed to the escape lane.

The limit in the express lane is 50kph. You can go slower if you want (they can feel very narrow) but be prepared for the odd a*****e behind you who thinks 80kph is a suitable speed and encourages you to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Can you please link to where you have read this - even a couple of cases. (You claim "many" others)

I've had a tag since the week they were available, I use the express lanes all the time. M7, M8 and Waterford.

I approach at 70-80kmh, probably about 60kmh at the barrier and drive straight through.

The barrier has never ever failed and I've never seen it fail. You see the confirmation of your tag just after it beeps at the start of the express lane.

So OP, it saves you money and will save you time. Once you go express lane once, you'll never use the other lanes again.

It was the same for me when I had a Nissan Micra. Then I bought a Focus and started having lots of issues. Tried ordering new tags and changing position etc. It only worked 7 out of 10 times no matter what I did.

Eventually 1 night my tag beeped in the express lane and the light turned green and then switched to red and dropped right in front of me with no time to stop.

I logged a complaint and the whole situation was reviewed and they more or less admitted that it seemed odd. Then I searched and found several other threads on boards of similar incidents.

So now I like to warn everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

If you approach at the correct speed, ensure the tag beeps, the barrier comes up.

If your tag is not correctly positioned or if the windscreen where the tag is located is very dirty, (wipers might not cover the specific area) or battery is low (lasts a few years) the tag may not be read.

But once it beeps at the start of the lane, the barrier rises.

Having a radio blaring and not paying attention as to whether it beeps as one poster did, is not the fault of the toll operator.

• Advertisement

A quick update.

Used tag for the first time this week.

I used the cash lane actually.

First toll I drove in slowly. Heard one strong beep barrier rose and off I went. (I think that was the order) happy as Larry. There was no car in fromt of me.

Next toll. Used the cash lane again. I stopped at the entrance until a car ahead cleared the barrier and then i moved slowly in. As i did I heard a few beeps (?????) but the barrier never rose!!!! (Or was it still up after the first car left and waited for me? I don't know. I did not go as I thought that barrier was up for the last car and it would come down on mine if I proceeded) ) Luckily I had coins to pay. But i felt cheated as my tag beeped (two or three times?) and yet I paid actually double. What did I do wrong?

Not a happy camper.

Is your account fully up to date ? Credit card associated still in date ? I usually set auto top up at €10 on my account. I use about €80 a month in tolls. If you paid double (check your account on app) contact them with proof from your account and they will refund.

As an aside.

Watch out for the car ahead nicking your toll. I have come across this a couple of times and it has been either the unmanned exits on motorway (M4 Enfield) or tunnel exiting Dublin. The car in front stops just short of the toll looking a bit gormless. If you get too close, your tag is read and they pop through. So having been stung once, when I see this happening, I sit further back and wait. Force them to pay their own way.

Haven’t had the NI reg followers on M1 tailgate me through the toll in a long time so that appears to have stopped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

How is it nicking your toll if the above happens? You don't get charged twice. The other guy may get through for free, but you only get charged the once. The system knows you can't have gone through twice in the space of a minute or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Em because you then have to pay to get through?

You are paying to go through anyway. You don't get charged twice. And if the person in front has a registered account, then the reg recognition will charge their account even if their tag didn't read or they were going too fast.

The car ahead in my case has to pay cash as I held back.

The one I got caught on, the car ahead nicked my toll, barrier came down and I then had a second beep for my charge.

I bet if you chekced your account that you weren't charged twice. The system won't charge you twice for the same trip.

I forgot to check the account after so you are probably right.

I think the next time I will hold well back until the car has cleared the barrier and then move in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement