Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am I going to have mould issues?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Thanks for this. I'm so worried about mildew and mould wrecking my stuff.

Also another question. How often should I be using electric heating? I've never used electric heating and I'm worried having it on when I'm not there in case it causes fire or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

It depends really on how the heating is controlled. Is there any thermostatic control? Electric heating takes the form of direct heating, fan heating, storage heating and heat pumps so it depends on what you have really. Do you know anybody who might be able to advise?

Perhaps a combination of dehumidifier when out and heating / ventilation when home might be a good combination during the heating season.

Not sure what else my options are really. Heating ventilating when home and dehumidifier when out.

So I can get the relative humidity down under 60% if I have heating on. It goes up to 65% during the night. So a tiny improvement than when I moved in. I'm guessing the real issue is the place is hard to heat all the time to have relative humidity under 60.

I bought plastic boxes to store my things and bought a few moisture traps to have around the place. That and heating/ventilating/dehumidifier might help me control this, I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Mine often goes up to 65 at night in the bedroom and we don’t have a problem with mould except on the bottom of the window frame. Clothes, books etc. all totally fine. It wipes off the windows no bother.

I thought I was getting this under control. Had a few days where the relative humidity stayed under 60%. Then all of a sudden it went up over 70% yesterday. And that's with heating, ventilation and dehumidifier use.

What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

The weather ... it's gotten warmer. That increase in RH% you are seeing is replicated in every house in the country

I never had over 70% humidity in my last place. It stayed under 60 all the time.

Guess I'll try manage this as best as I can. Store valuables in plastic boxes, use moisture traps and heating/ventilation/dehumidifier. I don't think I have any other option at the moment. I can't exactly move because there's a serious shortage of places to rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Just keep a careful eye on your energy usage - it could be very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ive seen lots of places where people kept the heating off in some rooms all the time or kept them much cooler than other rooms. What happens is you open the door, the warm miost air goes in and condenses in the cold room.

So I should have heating on in both rooms at the same time? Kitchen/living room and bedroom?

Keep the whole house at a reasonable temperature. Having one cold room is a recipe for mould in that room if you open door regularly. Also heating the whole house heats the internal walls up to temp too, so you dont have cold walls. You can also check the attic to make sure the insulation hasnt been pulled back over spots where you see mould.

It's so hard to heat the place to a reasonable temperature and keep the place warm though. I'm guessing that's the same problem in alot of places though.

Well RH is back up to over 70%. I'm guessing it's because the weather is warming up and when I open windows, I'm just letting humid air in.

70% humidity without even boiling a kettle or taking a shower. So I'm very worried about it causing mould issues but don't know what to do at this stage. I know I live in Ireland and it's expected but going by my last place I didn't get this high 70% RH. Like very worried, so I ordered another dehumidifier, a low energy one and have one in kitchen and one in bedroom along with passive dehumidifiers all over the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kartoshka

I have a similar issue where I live now (poorly insulated rental) and the only other advice I'd offer to keep your belongings in good order is to avoid having anything sitting on the floor or pushed against a wall. The air needs to circulate around/under things to try and keep them mildew and mould free. I have a dehumidifier running all day most days and it never gets below 60% in my case but that's due in part to an en suite with no ventilation.

Check your monitor. Ive seen 3 different makes beside each other that read 48%, 70% and 80% at the same time.

Leaving the windows open and having 70% humidity is not accurate at all unless its warm and raining heavily outside.

Monitor is accurate enough, I think. I have the dehumidifier on auto and it kicks in once RH is over 60%. So it can't be dehumidifier and monitor wrong as well.

Leave the montitor outside in the daytime and see what it says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

What kind of monitor is it and where did you get it? If it is one that is integrated with some clock or other device, or some cheap ass piece of crap that you got in the likes of Woodies or B&Q then that isn't worth a damn and it could be telling you anything.

An actual proper hygrometer, one that you could confidently rely on the reading being accurate, would cos a good few hundred euros. Probably in the thousands for a thousand for a laboratory grade one.

The cheapo one from a DIY shop could be giving you all sorts of wild readings.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

True. They have to be the most widley innacuarate monitors you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OP, if you can't throw your doors and windows open this week and try to dry your place out, you never will!

I remember those few days. They really helped. I do keep an eye on AccuWeather and lately it's been 100% humidity outdoors, so it's absolutely pointless opening windows these days. If I had windows open humidity indoors can go up to 70%. I'm not sure if it can go any further than that as I just close the windows and stick on the dehumidifier.

I now have the dehumidifier on all day to keep humidity under control. Because it's the only thing that keeps it at a reasonable level. But I do keep it on the automatic setting which changes to high and low settings to keep humidity under control. It's scary the amount of water it collects. I empty the 2 litre container twice a day. That water has to go somewhere if I didn't have the dehumidifier.

Someone said earlier on about the energy usage. I think it's reasonable enough with energy. For the past 24 hours, I have used 10kwh on the meter!!! So that's not bad at all.

Along with dehumidifier use, I use damp traps in the wardrobe, behind furniture (it also helps to keep space between furniture and wall), I also use dehumidifier bags in storage boxes.

So far, no mould in the flat, so I'm hoping it stays like that.

I need to go away in a few weeks, so not sure what to do there. I guess I can try use a hose to drain the dehumidifier while I'm away.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭delboythedub

I have a metal shed that suffers from moisture problem and I put a flat container of kitchen table salt on the ground and when water accumulates in it i empty it and this solved my problem, mobile home owners do something simular. You can also install a filter (€1400)in the attic which will need vents in ceiling but you would do this route if you owned the house. Best of luck sorting it out.

I have 2 hygrometers in my room at the moment.

Right now one says 51%. The other one right beside it says 68%.

No idea which one is accurate, or if both are not accurate.

Ended up picking up a second one and one of them says 55% and the other 46%. Temperature on them both are the same. Weird.

Guess I need to stop worrying and do what I can, use dehumidifier, loads of damp traps around the flat as well, open windows, no drying clothes indoors.

I think thats the right attitude to take.

Stop worrying about it because it hasnt happened. Dont do anything that could cause mold. And if you see any in a corner get it with bleach as soon as you see it. And then I think you should be ok. Just dont depend on readings from hygrometers. I only have them because they are part of the thermometers. Otherwise i wouldnt even be bothering with them.

And you are right to have a dehumidifier. I think every house or apartment should have one. Any tenant should buy one and bring it with them when they move. If you see condensation on the windows in the morning turn it on. Maybe turn it on when you get up for an hour. Will make a huge difference.

What i cant stand though is people who get mold and then moan about the mold while not cleaning it off as soon as they see it. Mold is like rats. Needs to be killed the minute you see it or it will spread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement