Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby 22

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭mike2084

Have bought it must try it over the weekend. 18 and 20 were poor I hope this is an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

Squidge gave it a surprisingly good review. I was looking at it last night on the store but haven't committed yet, Randomly its 10 quid cheaper then Rugby 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Didn't know there were any decent rugby games on the horizon. Might check this out

It appears not to be cross platform unfortunately. Will have to decide whether to get it on Xbox or PC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I got it on PC. Played two games there, feels okay. Way too easy to win turnover ball against the AI at the rucks, but it is what it is. A little clunky to spread the ball wide.

The squads are good, the likeness not terrible and the rankings are all fine. Some peculiarities though.

Larmour, Conan, Harry Byrne, and a few others exist for Ireland but not Leinster. Some fringe players don't exist, poor Jimmy O Brien for example - but thats to be expected.

Munster seem to have everyone as correctly.

Ulster have Will Addison, but he's not injured.

On a serious note there are a lot of players rated in the mideighties. Scannell (83) Goggin (83) McCloskey (83) Aki (83) Frawley (84) Henshaw (85) Ringrose (85) Hume (86). At a provincial level, I think Frawley is class, but I am surprised that in a game like this the starting Lions centre partnership aren't considered materially better than him.

Byrne (84) Henderson (84) Dillane (85) Ryan (85) Toner (85) Baird (86) is another place where the sort of middle of the park players are all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

What’s the customisation like for unlicensed teams? Can you edit player names and teams kits?

I made the plunge for PS4, entertaining enough but deffo a 25 quid game as apposed to 50 quid one.

The things that stood out to me:

-too easy to counter ruck

-very hard to actually get quick ball.

-maybe I'm going it wrong but doesn't appear to be an offload function? Plenty of times I've been tackled low and as I fall I'm hitting pass but the player won't ship it on. Would also be great if the first man in could flick it off the deck, just seems very hard to keep the ball alive.

-The licencing, no prem or super rugby teams but it is what it is until once developer owns the lot I guess.

These things aside I enjoyed it and would be interested to see how easy it is to play online, I'd assume there wont be LOADS playing it. I'm a huge NHL fan and have been buying the NHL Ea titles for about 15 years (every second year). When your used to a franchise thats been worked on for so long you really notice the polish, down to the sound design, songs and commentary. Hopefully Rugby can get there.

Well I just led Leinster to a 22 nil loss to Toulouse. Doris with 5 penalties for illegal rucking.

Enjoyable though and getting the hang of it. The marquee players all generally resemble their real life counterparts. Everyone else looks like Josh Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I picked it up at the weekend for the xbox

The graphics are hilariously bad and I noticed a few glitches and crashes in the hour or so I played so I hope there's going to be some patches to fix those

In terms of gameplay, I hadn't played any rugby games since Jono Lomu Rugby in 1998 for the PS1 (graphics about the same as this one )

So I spent most of the hour trying to figure out the mechanics. the Tutorials didn't work so well for me, I kept failing and they kept progressing even though I missed every tackle. I couldn't get the RS tackle to work at all, but that's probably just me being rubbish, scrums and mauls seem pretty good, and I figured out the place kicking after a little bit of confusion about the procedure

In my first match, I played as Munster vs Georgia on Semi Pro

The humiliating defeat sent me back to the tutorials for another while but when I played them again, I managed to beat them

The game is good craic so far

I am very pleased that Munster and Leinster both have the same club ratings of 84

The game definitely seems to not acknowledge when AI players are offside. I think AI is programmed not to go offside and when they're left there from a previous breakdown they can gather the ball regardless.

The breakdown itself can be very one sided, played Ireland v Scotland last night and turned them over the entire game.

Kicking also a bit all over the place but that's possibly down to me not knowing how it's supposed to work.

Played a Leinster v Bath quick match - managed to hold onto the ball for near Paris levels of phases after the first 40 mins were up and when I eventually hit half time my entire pack had barely a line of stamina left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Anyone figured out how to offload or hand-off yet?

Passing mechanics are a bit slow for my liking

As best as I can tell there are optical clues for when the ball carrier will pass but it's a little clunky. I suspect there is a good level of detail to the game but the tutorials are so rushed and rudimentary that it's hard to figure out - you just skip through them regardless of whether you have actually improved beyond the absolute basics.

Game was rushed out - needs a few more months of development but there is absolutely a really solid rugby game in there.

Won't have time tonight but going to start a season at some point this week.

Life imitates art

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

Keeps freezing for me .

Tried to do a league as munster but cant get passed the end of the second game against Ulster :(

I've noticed if your passing the ball v quickly consecutively down the line, you will get offloads when being tackled. It very much seems to be built into the gameplay though as opposed to player controlled. On so many occasions my player as been falling in whet felt like slow motion but I couldn't pop it on. Its a bit of a shame tbh, slows down the gameplay

I'm onto round 6 of the league. Very pleased with most recent result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

pushing up on the right stick is a hand-off, need to do it well before the tackle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have to say the more I play the more I'm liking it. Definitely some clunky animation and a few glitches /bugs but its good craic.

I've played a few online matches not and some decent arm wrestles. Manged to come back from 14 down last night and pin the opposition into his own 22 in the last minute. He'd kicked it out for a draw rather then playing it! I was disgusted!

Wait times for online matches haven't been too bad either, at least at he the moment theres a reasonable uptake of people playing it online.

• Advertisement

The game is definitely a huge improvement on everything since RWC2011 which itself was a pared down version on Rugby 08.

I prefer the side on view as opposed to the default behind the ball view. If they fixed a few bits like allowing customisation, saved line ups and a more rewarding kick game it has the potential to be a nice series. Instant replays should be available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I've been playing this a bit too. The previous two incarnations of this game were fairly bad, and were very similar. They made some iterative improvements for the sequel, but overall both games were not great. This one is a massive improvement on previous, they've fundamentally redesigned many aspects of the game, some of which I'm still on the fence about (e.g. I don't have a rashers what's going on at line-out time still), but I like that they're trying things and not just churning out more of the same. I still think it's below the bar to be considered a good game, but the trajectory of the series is good. Things like the graphics and animations are especially poor which really drag it down for me.

Licensing many of the teams and leagues is a huge improvement. Not being able to set the starting line-up of teams is a real pain in the hole however. Sexton doesn't make the Leinster 23 for example, despite being the highest rated player in the squad, and you can't fix that permanently.

They introduced starter plays in the previous version and seem to have expanded on that significantly for this one. They were hugely powerful in the previous version, especially the cross field kick play which would result in a try probably 90% of the time because the defensive line was always so narrow. I've yet to play around with them here, but I think they'll be key to adding a bit of variety to the gameplay as it can be a bit tedious trying to make something happen in possession, especially when your players are tired.

The changes to how scrums, line-outs, place kicking and kicking from hand work are all welcome, but I'm still not sure they're actually better yet. Line-outs in particular make no sense to me. The game used to slow down when you kicked from hand which was good, but I think I like that it doesn't do that anymore, means you have to get your kick away faster. I don't understand the power bar accuracy thing that appears on screen when you kick from hand however, I choose to ignore it and it seems to make no difference.

Online play is much improved from a playlist perspective. Previous version had loads of playlists: 7s rugby, competitive match, casual game, women's rugby — for a game that doesn't have a lot of players to begin with, diluting the online player pool like that was a ridiculous decision. Now there's just one mode: Online Game. Much better.

The last main sort of interesting change is the introduction of some kind of Ultimate Team type card collecting feature. Anyone who has played FIFA will know about FUT, it seems like kinda the same thing — you get points for doing challenges in game, and you can use those points to buy card packs that contain rugby players. Not sure how that will play out, but might add a bit of longevity to the game for some people. The main issue with previous versions of this game if you play online is the player base is effectively zero after a couple of months.

The last line there is the main thing. I suspect by summer /end of summer there will be sweet fa playing online. For me thats where it's at with games like this. You can't beat the spontaneity of a human opponent. Playing a campaign is a little dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I'm a fan of the grubber kick in the game, works pretty well.

Sniping off the base of the ruck can be pretty effective too

And I guess for fun, here's Robbie Henshaw playing against Connacht and getting destroyed in a tackle by Prendergast 😂

It's definitely too easy to jackal. You can box kick into their 22 and then get the ball back to score way too easy.

Is it just me or did the latest update improve gameplay? Hopefully they keep chipping away at it with updates as its got plenty going for it as opposed to the last few iterations which were unplayable IMO

Started my own team there a few weeks back and only played the first few rounds of D2 French rugby. Will jump on later for another whirl, it's a very enjoyable game but they need to balance out the breakdown.

Advertisement