Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charging lots of EVs at one house

• 09-02-2022 10:31pm
    Administrators Posts: 352 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: ESB eCars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Genuine question, there’s a family beside me and they have seven cars, The mum and dad and the five adult children, they say they need them as they all work in different places (perfectly illustrates why single dwelling homes should not be allowed)

if they all bought EV’s how would they all charge them? Would the home network be capable of this?

I’d be telling them to move out.😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Couple of Charge points with load balancing and then few external sockets to 3pin charge, doable but they are an outlier

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do really belong in an EV forum?

yiu seem very negative towards them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Yep all that per site. 3/7 kW AC backups at each site. How it's done in many places in Europe.

I drive a PHEV, my brother a full EV, there’s hybrid in the title of this section. Boards is not an EV forum 👀 Are you a moderator?

• Advertisement

Right so I’ll take the bait then.

with 7 cars and 7 adults in the house they could pay to upgrade to a 3 phase supply. It Would not be that much between them

they can then get 1 or 22kwh chargers and a few slave chargers with load balancing

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

How far do they drive each week? In other words how much electricity does each vehicle need.

They may only have to charge once a week.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭KCross

perfectly illustrates why single dwelling homes should not be allowed

Not allowed at all? Seriously?

We should all go live in the city in high rise apts, is it?

if they all bought EV’s how would they all charge them? Would the home network be capable of this?

Load balancing would solve it fine. Unless they are all travelling salesmen doing massive mileage, its do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭zg3409

So 7 cars, firstly do they all have off street parking? You can load balance 7 chargers. Most house supplies are 60 amp, each charger can take up to 32 amp. As said already most cars won't need a full charge each night. With load share set up properly which ever car is not fully charged will get full power. You can also set timers to ensure certain cars get priority. Say all cars are parked up for 12 hours each night, you can get roughly 800km range each night spread across the cars, more at the weekend where you could pre fill all cars. As suggested you could upgrade from 60 amp to 80 amp supply, or go 3 phase for treble the power capability.

The whole grid can't handle it is very overblown, at night time the grid has plenty of capacity.

7 people all driving to work every day shows why we should try work from home and plan around public transport and living close to work to reduce commute times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm fairness, they could be in a rural area without much public transport and no ability to work from home as yet. That's not exactly an issue that's easy for them to change

And since it's 5 adult children, one can presume that a few of them are working or studying, so they're probably living at home on the cheap rather than paying exorbitant rents. Can't really fault them for that, they're doing the smart thing in the current environment

As for charging, the fuel savings alone would easily pay for a 3 phase connection, which could give 3x 7kW chargers plus granny leads for the other cars if needed

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

For a short period of time, there was 7 cars at my family house, we all had a car, one by one left the nest, I cannot see all of the OP family buying a new ev for minimum of 30k, or even half that on a 2nd hand, get the 7 kW charger then rotate cars, add sockets for granny chargers, charging does not have to be at night rate, plenty of day time hours to charge, I know a little more expensive, its manageable if cars are rotated and kept at a high state of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

"perfectly illustrates why single dwelling homes should not be allowed" " they say they need them as they all work in different places"

What are you on about? You're a perfect illustration of why I live in the country in a single dwelling so I don't have to live close to nosy people like you!

Of course a solution could be engineered to charge 7 cars as others have mentioned, but the example is a bit extreme isn't it? Vast majority houses don't have a single EV not to mind 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ksffir

I have a power meter on my granny plug charger for an Outlander PHEV. Max draw is 2.95 kW, dropping on and off to 180W. So say 12 A on a 13A plug.

Most houses should have no problem handling 4 of these. Maybe 5. On ordinary 13A domestic plugs.

So that’s

65 Amps? Over 2.5mm T&E ?

2.5mm is rated for 25-30 A, unless you are on three different Circuits you’ll overload the cable. But that providing the MCB doesn’t trip. Our you will bow the 63A main fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Average mileage in Ireland is 46km per day so we'll round that up to 10kwh each means you need 70kwh per day. With a single charger that's 10hrs charging per day. Easily done with a bit of swapping. First home charges up then swap over later on. Charge them all up over the weekend. No problems

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It might be worth considering that a bunch of those cars will likely be older cars with shorter range so might need more frequent charging

Still, a bunch of granny leads and some organisation regarding timers should sort out any problems

The arguments would be epic though; "I'm heading to the country this weekend but (insert siblings names) are using all the chargers!!!"

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement