Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Plate

Options
  • 09-02-2022 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi guys,

Maybe you could advise me with this....

I am looking to buy a taxi plate and looking on donedeal I see couple of them for sale,When I looked for further info from the seller I was told that it is not a sale it is a lease agreement.

Now,I was reading the "NTA nomination document" and it say that the taxi plate owner could change his mind anytime and here is where I got confused.

Can I trust the "seller" and pay € 7,000.00 for the taxi plate of which he could change his mind in a year time?

Any advise is more than welcome! Thanks a million in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I don't think you can sell taxi plates anymore like you could years ago. I know that you can't register or apply for a new plate unless it's a wheelchair plate, which is silly bucks for your vehicle. Personally speaking, I'd advise you to rent a taxi early on and see how you manage. €7,000 is a lot to drop if you don't like the trade or find that it isn't working out or if you are stung here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aleca

Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

You can't buy a plate full stop.

You can however inherit a plate if the plate owner signs the nomination form before they die.

The way around this is for you to lease or rent the plate for a one off fee and have the owner to send in the nomination form naming you as his successor.

Keep in mind that you provide a car but must sign it over into the plate owners name and he has to arrange insurance in his name with you as a named driver.

The plate owner must at all times maintain his tax clearance certificate.

The plate owner may also put in a subsequent nomination form naming anyone else and there's f all you can do about it .

You can get a wav license relatively easily.

Availability of a wheelchair van may be a problem at the moment though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You cannot buy a taxi plate anymore.

You can only rent them.

You can buy a wheelchair plate (WAV) but you also have to buy a WAV vehicle. The good news is that a wheelchair plate is only €125 or so.

Advertisement