Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encanto

Options
  • 09-02-2022 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Was trying to look for a thread on this but couldn't find one.

Anyone catch this on Disney+? What a delightful little film this is! Lin-Manuel Miranda does it again. Great soundtrack - had We Don't Talk About Bruno stuck in my head the entire evening!

The art and animations were stunning and the voice acting & dancing were stellar. Lots of LOL moments and a very beautiful message as well.

A shame this film hasn't got much traction but then that's what happens when Disney just dumps everything on Plus. Deserved to do much better. If you haven't seen it yet I'd thoroughly recommend it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Traction.... You won't find a house in Ireland with Disney where this hasn't been watched a billion times.

Id say its there most successful animation on the platform since launch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The film’s been a monster hit on streaming and an absolute cultural phenomenon… maybe cultural juggernaut might be more apt. We Don’t Talk About Bruno has been the biggest musical hit Disney’s ever had.

It got a narrow theatrical release and a near immediate steaming one during a pandemic surge, so it’s one of a few films - like all the Warner Bros films of the last year - where box office is kinda meaningless due to the unique circumstances of its release.

Suffice to say, the film’s been extraordinarily widely seen and successful, so the box office tells only a tiny part of this particular story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Honestly I was disappointed by this, the animation is great and I loved the design of the house but personally the story was a mess for me. I thought there was going to a story of Mirabel helping all her family unlock the true potential of their powers or something but no. I felt they should have focused on Bruno poor, I think that image of the plate he'd painted onto the table is one of the saddest things I've seen in a Disney movie but even his story goes nowhere and he's just welcomed back into the family at the end when they all treated him like **** (the cousin with the good hearing should definitely have been able to hear him too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Agree with this, I thought it was poor. The animation is amazing of course, as You;d expect but I just found the plot to be very muddled and not all that clear as the what it was about really. What do I know though, a friend of mine has had to take his daughter to see this multiple times in the cinema(where its still playing months after its release) so obviously kids(and it seems to be mainly girls not boys) are going for it big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I liked it, and continue to like it on a weekly basis as it inevitably gets played at some point during the week. It's one of those kids movies that has a few layers to it so that the kids and the grown-ups have something to laugh at. The music is great, the animation/visuals is great, the story is an interesting one, and it's a fun movie to watch. At the end of the day, it's a kids movie first so I'm not going to be knocking points for plot holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I agree to an extent but I also feel your post highlights my issue that there was no real focus and instead we got a mish mash of ideas. Mirabel definitely helped Isabella learn her full potential but it felt like means to an end. My memory is a bit hazy but I whilst I remember Luisa's song about the expectations, I don't remember her or anyone else learning what you said. And as for Bruno, for me it was everyone else who needed to learn that lesson, not him. I just felt they glossed over the fact that he was secretly living in the house because he was too afraid to show his face. Anyway I'm glad you got something from it, I wish I had enjoyed it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 poppysee

Encanto has become of my favorite Pixar films.

Advertisement