Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of turning hipped roof to a gable roof

Options
  • 06-02-2022 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there,

we are looking to build into our attic space, and in order to avoid having a staircase go through one of the bedrooms, we're considering changing our hip roof into a gable to accomodate the staircase. I know this has been discussed before a number of years ago. I'm just wondering what costs we can expect now in 2022, seeing that building costs have been rising steadily over the last few years.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anjebe

Hi Again,

Anyone have any ideas of cost involved? Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We did this in 2018.

It cost approx 38k and it required planning.

Now I would expect maybe closer to 50k.But your best bet is to get a builder out to look at it.Get a structural engineer, it is a must.That is a job that requires a sign-off and if you ever sell, the paperwork will be requested.(we just went through this, and are engineers ourselves)

As an aside, it was a fabulous job, the space was fantastic and added so much to the house. Pricey, but very glad we did it.

Hi shesty,

thanks for the information. That's very useful.

Does sound pricey, but as you say, will probably be worth it, especially if it can be used as an extra bedroom if needed, and adding value to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm sure it depends too on the construction of your present roof, traditional cut roof or built with trusses etc? I'm no roofer but I can see how you might adapt the former but I doubt the latter. The difference between removing the whole roof and rebuilding it or adapting what's there. Being able to reside in the house or have to move out etc.

Thanks Furze99,

we're getting more work done to the house, so we'll have to move out anyway.

I'll get an engineer in to have a look and advise.

Our roof uses simple trusses, i.e. joists between the rafters. Don't know how complicated it will be to extend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Hi, we’re getting this done soon. Hip to gable, dormer and shower/toilet. Planning submitted etc.

How long did the job take to carry out? Was it very disruptive?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's a semi-d house, is it?It's not hugely disruptive on the inside for the first while.They wrapped the house in scaffold first, took off the roof, added the additional structure and steelwork, and then built over the new roof.Raised the chimney also (just the way ours was laid out).Then they cut through the hole for the stairs, and that is when it gets more disruptive.As the roof goes on, they stop accessing the build from the scaffold, and have to start accessing from inside the house - up the main stairs,then up a ladder.

We got other work done at the same time, but if I remember correctly the attic bit took approximately 8 weeks in total, I think.Maybe a bit less.

Being an engineer myself, I would obviously recommend this, but absolutely get a structural engineer.

There is likely to be steel required - for example our house was a 90s build, and had a lot of wood in the attic, they weren't really prefabbed trusses- so 3 large steel beams were required, one along under the ridge pole, and then one along the front and back, so running from side wall to side wall, at floor level - bolted into the party wall and the gable wall.They have to be specified and will require sign-off.

In my mind it would be a brave builder that would take on that job with no engineering input as it is a big enough structural job.

Thanks for your input Shesty. Great to get the insight.

Our house was built in the 1930s, attic never used by the looks of it. No flooring, just some insulation between the floor joists. The roof itself isn't even insulated. Thought we might as well go the whole hog, if we're upgrading the insulation foe the whole house anyway and putting proper flooring in.

Advertisement