Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I see Play airlines advertising a lot lately.

Options
  • 07-02-2022 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Why would someone choose to fly with these to America? Surely flying with Aer Lingus is not that much more expensive as well as being on a bigger plane with Aer Lingus and a more direct and more comfortable flight.

I can understand maybe going from here to Iceland on a Play flight but to America no way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

Well lets have a quick look...Dublin Boston one way in late June is over €600 with Aer Lingus and under €200 most days with Play at the moment. Return, its about 750 vs 350. Big money saving vs big time saving (remember US immigration clearance too with the direct flight).

Note sure what bigger plane has to do with it, its just one economy seat you're getting in either case. And if you flew from Shannon, you'd be on the very same type.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is this the rebirth of WOW air that went bust a few years back? I flew with them to REykjavik a few years back, found them fine. No idea what the leg from there onto the states would be like...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why do Play think they can be successful at this when Norwegion Airlines could not and it practically made them go bust?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

PLAY is pretty much WOW 2.0 so if you manage to get a great fare, go for it, but I doubt it’ll be a long term success.

Eventually it’ll be on the ropes and bookings will be risky but at the moment it probably has sufficient funding from the usual suspects.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It’s a no from me, especially for New York, they fly to Stewart which I’ve used before…. It’s wayyyy out. At least 2 hours from New York. When you factor this in along with a connection it’s simply not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Depends where you're going. Stewart is a far less awkward airport than JFK if you're hiring a car and driving somewhere other than NYC.

However, the connection is a hard no for me. KEF is not the worst place to lay over by any means, but I just don't see why I'd do that when I can do a non-stop flight to where I'm going.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement