Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch features you dislike?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

It looks like either a unicorn or seahorse begging for acetone at the first service, unless they laser etched the glass with it. I've seen older seamasters with a fairly crude seahorse/unicorn etched on a steel case back, fairly crudely done. If you told me it was done by hand like a backstreet sailors tattoo, i'ld believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

At least you can see some of that movement, Who knows what Panerai were thinking with this one.

Come to think of it they were probably trying to hide the movement after lying about it being in house .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Might add a few of my own after I've had time to think about it.

• Day/night indicators (looks out the window lol)
    • Leap year indicators

Whilst these are technically impressive more often than not just muddy the face of the watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Day night indicators are usually there to indicate when its safe to set the colander and when its not, lot of complicated watches dont like being adjusted when the mechanism is energising to flick the date, day, month etc so you should set the watch to 6am before setting....the indicator means you save time setting and its safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ah I wasn’t aware of that. Similar to not changing the date between 10-2 and never thought the more complicated the more chance of fecking it up there would be. Makes complete sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you think about it, most complications are there for showing off technicalities rather than functionality. But you can also say the same about an automatic movement. We all draw the line somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Roman numerals and day of week words splattered across the dial...day of the month should suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

there was no shade directed towards your writing, just the the Omega.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but for me it's crowns that dig into the back of my hand. Apart from that it's the usual suspects;

Merc hands

Small seconds

Dials that are covered in text/busy.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Crowns never even occured to me! That's the reason I sold on my B&R, I loved the watch but it was impossible for me to wear comfortably without getting divots 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've a love/hate relationship with large crowns. Absolutely love flieger watches and they generally come with a crown that wants to burrow it's way through the back of your hand.

Yeah onion style crowns always leave a mark on my hand , strangely though Panerai never seems to and you would expect the crown guard to be a nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Pretty simple list for me :

Skeleton dials.

Ugly typography (Arabic or roman, both can be beautiful or awful).

Anything with the word "rolex" on the dial after 1930.

Stainless Steel dive watches (they are all the same, stop lying to yourselves).

Other than that I will happily take a look at any sort of watch from whomever.

Power reserve indicators. These are great if they can be stuck nice and small on the back. But stuck on the dial, I am not a fan. Grand Seiko are the worst at it, beautiful dials with a stupid power reserve indicator on the front.

Subdials cutting off numbers is one thing that I FÚCKING HATE! Googling it, seems I'm not alone. Here's an example, a beautiful watch ruined by that stupid 6 at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Luminous hands that aren't very luminous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Subdials cutting off numerals is a good one. Triggers me.

Dornblüth very guilty of this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny enough I think that's a far more balanced design than most subsecond dials these days where you see the full of the six(because in most cases the movement is too small to fit the case, unlike with the vintage originals).

For no good reason either. A century of chrono designs and very few had to cut off the numbers, it makes the subdials look like an afterthought. It seems to have been a trend started in the 80's and 90's. How you can tell a Heuer Bund has been later refurbished for sale by Sinn in the 90's is the new nuclear free safe for kids to lick 'em dials had cutoff numbers, whereas the originals didn't.

Exact same movement, handset, case, dial size and yet they couldn't make the numbers fit? Daft.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That Dornblüth gives me a nervous twitch. Few examples in this thread below, plenty of high end offenders, but also examples of doing it "right"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This Sinn in that rogues gallery nails it for me.

No half numerals, all the info required and you can read it at a glance. To be fair legibility was a strong suit of Helmut Sinn's philosophy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oh I have another that winds me up no end for some reason: Two register chrongraphs where the subdials are at 12 and 6.

Even the photographer knew to turn it on its side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have gone off fussy dials. Just give me numbers and 2 hands.. and also preferably some with some colour…

and MOP.. WTF is that all about

Post edited by Deep Thought on

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

With you on that , sometimes the least complicated watch is perfect.

Advertisement