Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity and Gas deals

• 27-01-2022 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Am moving into a new house this weekend. The current house am staying had only electricity but the new one has both electric and gas supply. Am a new customer so been researching for better deals and diff sites offer diff suppliers to be the best. Is it worth going with diff consumers for gas and electricity or dual fuel deal confused.

Comments

Bonkers.ie will do all that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭corks finest

TBH I’m more confused than ever each time I go on bonkers ref this

I find my current supplier of both electric Ireland gave me the best deal last 2 years overall

was with bord gais but they seemed to have hiked up prices for dual plans

( and as I like paying at an post with specific elec and gas card I never got one from BG that sorted the electric bill )

DD for me is a balls as I much rather physically hand over the card weekly at the post office etc

might be an age thing I admit but find the DD route inconvenient as I rather to be in credit ref bills at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I'm the exact same as I like to pay a bit of every couple of weeks before the bill comes out. If you download a bill and bring it to any Payzone agent (assume PO can do this too) they can scan the barcode and you can pay whatever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Similar here; don’t like the big bills landing in the colder months. I have DD setup but I run a standing order for 100€ to the supplier for gas and €100 for elec ensuring I’m pretty much always in credit. Just moved from dualfuel Flogas on jan 28th to EI for both. Marginally cheaper than next best which was BG. 12 mth contract.

Post edited by dodzy on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you want to avoid bigger bills in winter an option might be to go with Level Pay that a lot of the energy companies offer. It means they average out your bill throughout the year so you are always paying a similar amount on each billing cycle. Effectively you are overpaying in summer to avoid any shocks in winter. It works well for a friend of mine as she used to always get the fear before a winter bill was due but now she knows around about what it will be.

neve heard of this option thank you

sounds perfect for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I pay off 20e a week, every week online with EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm on level pay with Bord Gais for both Gas and Electric. I pay 75/month for each, that's for a 3 bed semi 2 adults 2 kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Direct debit gives you an extra discount.

If you have a smart meter you can have monthly bills.

Currently electric Ireland seems to be cheapest.

Always look at the actual unit rate rather than the discount percentage. Energia offer 41% discount, but their standard rates are very high.

Then put a reminder on your phone for 6th February 2023 to switch supplier again.

Switching literally takes 2 minutes online.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Q&A

In general dual fuel deals are more expensive.

Level pay is a good idea but i also submit my readings monthly to avoid large bills/track my usage. Though note not every provider will issue a bill just because you submit a meter reading. But as others have suggested you can always overpay and create your own level pay if this is not an option.

Once you know how much you use (best measure are actual units of gas/electricity consumed) head over to bonkers.ie or switcher.ie. You want to ensure you include any discounts and also include offers not available through their site. You'll then know your best options.

Rinse and repeat a year later.

PS this post took longer to write than what it took me to switch my gas 2 weeks ago.

😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

I switched from Iberdrola to EI last week. With a 26% Direct Debit discount I am paying 17c a unit incl VAT. Had a call from Iberdrola on Friday asking me to stay with them with a rate of 23c incl VAT. When I told them the rate I am getting with EI they said they couldn't match it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

In relation to the dual fuel deals - so you can go with one provider for both, but not on a dual fuel deal is that it? That you can go to, say Bord Gais for electricity and gas, but separate? I do see that their single electricity plan seems to be cheaper than the electricity price on the dual fuel plan. So why does anyone go for dual fuel - just idiots like me? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

It does literally take minutes to switch but this year when I switched to electric Ireland from bord gais it took 3 weeks for the switch to happen so ended up paying 3 weeks at the bord gais un-discounted rate.

Post edited by reubenreuben on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If not in contract, you should always look at changing supplier and go with the biggest discount on switcher/bonkers. Worst that can happen is that your current supplier will call and try to get you to stay by offering another discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Q&A

No I mean for the average user - and I appreciate not everyone is the average - it's cheaper to go separately.

For example on the link below it's shows you're better off mixing and matching your gas and electricity providers

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭lordsheepface

Surely you put in meter readings when you initiated the switch so you would haven't been charged 3 weeks at old providers rate? Instead you should have been charged the 3 weeks at the new providers rate?

The only thing you'd have kept paying for the 3 weeks would have been the standard charge? Or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Exactly. When you supply the meter readings, it’s at that point that the move is triggered. Everything from then is with new supplier at agreed rate(s)

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it doesn't happen that way according to electric Ireland.

Electric Ireland told me they have upto 21 days to switch it over. And due to 'covid' they took longer than normal hence the 3 weeks at the previous suppliers regular rate.

Going to query that now, after comments on here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

I've about 3 weeks to go until my current plan expires....I want to move the moment the higher rate kicks in by my current provider. Can I initiate the change over now but effective 3 weeks from now? I don't want to initiate the switch too soon and get fined by my current provider for early termination of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yes, you can give the new provider your switchover date. It's actually best to do it a few weeks before to avoid paying current provider at non-discounted rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I was wondering if you are switching to a cheaper deal is there anything to stop you under-reading the meter for the final bill before switching?

I'm just off a call to Electric Ireland and they wouldn't do it. Told me to ring back closer to when my contract ends...about a day or two before

A bit annoying as their signup page says you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Bonkers.ie is the only way to go...

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

Does anyone know of any gas service providers doing offers with Nest thermostat installation as part of a service? Alternatively anyone offering a smart thermostat installation and service package that doesn't require s subscription?

Got onto electric ireland about this. They had made an error and although they received the switch request , it took then 3 weeks to process it. They will be reimbursing the over payment to bord gais and give me some extra credit too due to the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Anybody know what the best cash back is at the moment for electricty, My mother has a farm account and it uses tiny amounts of electricty. Bill every 2 months for 65 euro but like only a 10 is electricty the rest is standing charges/pso. So im looking to gain on the switch, and claim back the biggest cash back...

Thanks

Advertisement