Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I chosen the wrong career?

• 06-02-2022 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Have been looking at houses and almost every estate agent (20 out of 21) had luxury premium cars newer than 2020 like bmw x6, 730, jaguar suv.

These cars are over 50k while some of them over 70k and I'm trying to understand if this profession really pays that well or the real estate company provides them with luxury cars?

Yes, I know having a 70k car doesn't mean much as it can be financed but literally every agent to afford them it's a bit fishy, no?

I'm a Software Engineer earning slightly above average but I'll change careers tomorrow if it pays better.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

But would you be any good at it? You need to be a people person and comfortable talking BS for hours…. Not your typical software engineer. On the other hand a good software engineer with salary and royalties should not complain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There are lots of well paid people in every industry, including IT/software, and lots of poorly paid. Could be as you said, the cars could be leased by the agency, or they just might be very good at their jobs. If you think you can be that guy, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

That's why you don't know who, if anyone you're bidding against, bunch of crooks, all bidding should be at the property in person with ID and employment details, that way the estate agent cannot include fictional bidders.

Yes, like the scene from The Field, that’s the way to go alright.

Everybody can get flashy cars, PCP finance has allowed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Back in 2014 I bought a house.

Estate agent was driving a €2000 car.

Some of them may be doing well today. And may have struggled to put food on the table from 2009 to 2016.

Best of luck to them in the current market

• Registered Users Posts: 33,378 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Weird upside down world. As a software engineer you can be pulling in 600 to 800 per day contracting if you wished to. Why would you be looking to upend your career for something you know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

A software engineer should easily be able to afford a 50k car these days, we're hiring grads in Cork for about 45+50k. +20% if you're in Dublin, good money

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

It's cyclical. Their ability to earn moves with the market. I would not have wanted to be an agent from 2008 to 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

True 45k grads in Dublin.

Maybe I'm totally unaware of PCP and I'm in the looking for a house stage coupled with saving everything that I just don't see it possible.

Contractor rates are high indeed but you don't have the stability and security of having a job next month.

I'm wondering what kind of salaries estate agents get?

They are unable to give any information like when it was built, garden size, etc. In almost all cases they were there just to open the door and lie.

Heck I'd even take a pay cut if most of it means opening doors.

I know a good few software engineers, principals, contractors and they don't have flashy 70k worth cars.

• Advertisement

Is this actually true though?

There are way less transactions I estimate than in that period since there's way way way less houses for sale now.

They would've earned a smaller percentage but had x2 or x3 more transactions so it feels like it balances out.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

A lot were let go from 08/09 because of the downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Grass always looks greener, most EA's are like sales reps, most customers expect a flashy car, if they see a banger they assume you are untrustworthy.

I'd be shocked if the majority of the cars you see are not heavily in debt (either company or personal)

As for Techies (sweeping generalisation here, but as a techie I know a lot of folks in the industry) not driving flashy cars, techies are by their nature usually practical and have more sense than to get heavily in debt on a depreciating asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

To be an estate agent in Ireland, you need to have a PRSA license. Info how to get one here:

A lot of folks would have gone the education route, so done a Cert/Degree which covered the ECTS credit requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Estate agent is a customer-facing job.

Suits and nice cars would be expected. That said, there's an EA office near me and I'm fairly sure they share a car that's owned by the company or the owner.

Anyone can buy a 70k car if they want. Just PCP up and pay it off for the rest of your life.

That must be it, they're most likely shared.

Find it hard to believe all estate agents afford 50-70k cars.

Although I suspect they are playing with bids there's no way all are doing that so sharing it explains it.

Last weekend there was a 25'ish youngster driving a brand new x6, that was the tip of the iceberg for me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭djan

Regardless of EAs owning cars or not. The EA doesn't really benefit of creating fake bids as it merely prolongs the sale process and they only get a couple hundred extra at most or nothing if on a fixed price fee. It's all about getting the sale wrapped up ASAP getting commission and moving on to the next.

Also if you don't have kids and can get by with shared accom, it's not too difficult to out away a decent chunk of money aside per month for a 50k pcp car. Financially makes no sense but is doable.

50k car on a 50k salary??

What the hell am I doing with my money if I have an 8 year old Volvo on more tech money than that?

You reckon two or three times more houses we’re selling during the recession than now? I would be surprised if that were the case.

Always seems to be those who didn’t get the property who claim the EA made up bids, never understood that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

You know what you are talking about!!! They do not go to college to learn to be crooks, they learn it at the kitchen table from the parents. It is a closed shop. You might get in the door as a junior associate or receptionist but really it is a class and club job. If you arent wearing the School or club tie, you arent getting in. However if you are from the right background and are great at sales, and a complete ballsack you will go far.

"Being complete thick as sh1t and being a pathological liar, has never held anyone back in the property industry".

Would you comfortable is squeezing every single Euro out of an already cash strapped young couple in the final child bearing years and then laughing at them down in the golf club because they bought a house they could barely afford because you needed to make a few hundred in extra commission?

The good news is with UN Agenda 2030, all property will be virtually state controlled (Charity/council/REITs) and these chinless wonders will be surplus to requirement. The course is simple two year part time course. Its really a game of overselling and Gazumping prices with fake bids. I couldnt go to sleep at night knowing I was doing that damage to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

We are in very strange times. If you are trying to buy things you are told everything is expensive, there is huge demand, everyone is so busy

If you try to sell something or get a job it's the opposite. People are trying to slow you down and find fault with you, even though there are shortages of employees they are slow to take people on. Even when I put a house up for rent a few months ago I had lots of enquiries but most were a waste of time.

All I can gather from it is productivity has slowed down an awful lot due to material shortages. People are still doing a tiny bit of work but expecting to be paid well over the odds for the little bit they do and lots are content with doing very little. I am not a "get everyone into the office" enthusiast but a lot of the WFH crowd don't put in an honest days work at all.

I agree, in the end corporations reap what they sow.

When you say “all property will be virtually state controlled”, do you mean in a virtual world? Or do you mean the State will spend trillions buying up private property, then either give it or rent it to its citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

No, have a look at how the REITs are buying up whole housing estates, forcing many working professionals who should be buying into renting. Then there are the local authorities that are buying houses instead of building new ones. Then there are NGO's that are housing people with no prospects of employment or low wages at the expense of the middle class. Check out the massive inflation paired with the salary stagnation over the last 15 years. The future isnt looking bright for home owners for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No 2030 is not going to change the nature of home ownership. Governments will not have the right to seize people's property and it is also unconstitutional here. You are living in a dream world if you think world economics is going to be completely transformed within 8 years. Land ownership is vital for how the world works. Having a right does not mean you force people already exercising that right lose that ability.

It is quite laughable to suggest it will change anything significant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Begrudgery never got anyone a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

a relation of mine would be a multimillionaire - self made and drives a €40,000 VW .... what car someone drives isn't a solid barometer of what they earn or are worth

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Somebody I know very experienced in the tech sphere seems to be permanently living hand to mouth, puzzles me. I suppose there’s ranges of earning, different types of contracts etc in all spheres of work.

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

• Advertisement

List of lies continues:

Today asked when a house was built and was told 10 years later than the actual year ..

Last weekend was told garden is south facing, I showed him my compass said north ..

Legalised rubbery.

Advertisement