Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Switch - Apprenticeship - Advice Needed

Options
  • 07-02-2022 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

I'm just reaching out for a bit of advice. I'm hoping to make a career move, I want to start an Electrical Apprenticeship. All of my family are tradesmen, and I want a more active, practical job that I have currently.

I have a bachelors in Marketing currently. I'm 25, and I manage a team a of 15 Marketing Associates for my current company.

For some reason, nobody will as much as look at me for an apprenticeship. I have interviewed people previously for 40k a year jobs but for some reason I can't get an interview for a 250 euro a week apprenticeship? I understand that I need to be respectful and humble when approaching an employer and the above the sentence might come off as very cocky but it's just not making sense to me.

I had a job interview lined up, gave your man a call - he said I don't sound like a youngfella so he'll keep looking else where? No idea?

I actually went to an interview with a refrigeration crowd, they called me back - offered me the job (which I have accepted) This all happened 3 weeks ago. They've now blocked my phone number?

My worry is that these tradesmen think I'm too stuck up because if how I carry myself but in truth I come from a very rough area and I'm a traveller so I had to work really hard during my college years on pronunciation etc. (You wouldn't know I was a traveller now unless I told you, impossible to get a job otherwise)

I would really appreciate any advice on where I might be going wrong here. I have had loads of jobs in the past, I'm not being annoying or over zealous. Am I making a mistake in trying to get into a trade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's on your social media?

Do you know ANYONE who could give a personal recommendation to a firm looking for apprentices in a field you are interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LeeQuilabab123

So my social media is completely locked and under a slightly different name, they're big on that in my current industry so I'm fairly on top of it. And yes, I have a half dozen work references, references from charities I volunteer for etc! I'm starting to have reservations about getting a trade now in all honesty. I think I would enjoy the work but everyone I've come across so far is an absolute cowboy, I might be better staying where I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ESB Networks 2022 apprenticeship programme starts shortly. While there may be downsides to doing an apprenticeship with the ESB, they are not cowboys and are unlikely to discriminate against applicants because they don't sound like young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LeeQuilabab123

Thank you Brian, I'll definitely consider ESB when they come around!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Play UP the Traveller aspect if applying for a public sector position. Traveller with a degree and solid work history = a public sector recruiter's wet dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If a company offered you a job and have now blocked your number, that's completely unacceptable.

You may be entitled to bring a case to the WRC for discrimination. I'm not suggesting you definitely should, and I know that wasn't the focus of your post but it is improper behaviour that should be called out.

In terms of your situation, is the address you are using your home address? That location could quite simply trigger bad sentiment which again isn't acceptable, but may be an issue.

With respect to a future career, I think the electrical apprenticeship would be more advantageous than a refrigeration one purely from the perspective that it opens up more opportunities with respect to industries or further education.

Are you making all your enquiries through phone calls, or conversations? Maybe try writing to companies expressing an interest in working for them and offering yourself for interview. If all your family are tradespeople, it is a bit strange I must admit that none of them can point you in the direction of a company and can vouch for your intent and character.

Also, going from a role in marketing to a role as an apprentice is quite a change, fully qualified to trainee, team lead to gofer, decent wage to apprentice income, office environment to construction site/industrial environment etc etc. This may be enough to make people think this is a short term notion you have and they'll put 3-6 months training in to you and then you'll disappear.

If you can, try to interview in person rather than over the phone and prepare sufficiently in advance of it. Research the company, the type of customers they have and work they do and so on. Be able to speak about this and what appeals to you about the job and why you want to work with that particular company. Dress appropriately for the interview which depending on the interview, doesn't necessarily mean a suit. Business casual may be fine, or in some cases, a pair of jeans, work boots, and windbreaker might demonstrate comfort with that environment if the interview is being held in an environment in which that is a common outfit.

Have a good think about your own 3-5-10 year goals (personal and professional) and be able to speak about how the apprenticeship fits in to this and how you will be of benefit to the company through being able to contribute in positive ways right from the start that not every apprentice necessarily can. You should be able to showcase competency in being task and goal oriented, being a team player, taking responsibility, working to deadlines, taking feedback, project management and so on and so on. Find a way to be able to communicate these skills to a potential employer in a confident but not brash or cocky way. Maybe consider a recruitment agent to help get you placement at interviews, if nothing else, you will get some defined feedback as the agent will be looking for it for their own information as much as so to pass it on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

"I have interviewed people previously for 40k a year jobs but for some reason I can't get an interview for a 250 euro a week apprenticeship?"

You need to reassess that thought straight away. It's not only a job its a career if you play it right.

Fair play to you given your background! Just remember for the first 6 months you are nothing more than a headache to any employer.

"I'm starting to have reservations about getting a trade now in all honesty. I think I would enjoy the work but everyone I've come across so far is an absolute cowboy, I might be better staying where I am!"

Fairly broad sweeping statement there. You seem to have your head screwed on but your back up.

FWIW I'd love to be a cowboy in my trade but sadly standards have to be kept. I would get that word out from under you too!

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 12 harty1888

I have a very similar story to yours only I’m a good bit older (40). Made €70K+ last year but want to get off nights/weekends and set up a better future for myself.

I have applied for apprenticeships that I would be over qualified for and didn’t even get a response. I had 1 interview with a refrigeration company, made it seem like they were about to offer me the job but then nothin, I rang and emailed since with no reply.

I seem to be making progress now with an electrician apprenticeship but that’s only because I know someone well in in the company. I think this could be your best chance as well, (it’s not what you know it’s who you know).

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Grootbaas

Has anybody here applied for the 2022 ESB Apprenticeship intake yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mcgragger

if you want to send me your CV I can proof read it and give you advice - PM me your email address if you wish

I work in the industry and might be able to offer you advice .

Have you contacted the Solas ( FAS) Apprentice section? apprentice.ie

You would want to go with a bigger company, smaller crowds generally dont do it as per the rules

• Advertisement
Advertisement