Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Updates from ESB, ionity, easygo, Tesla + Irish EV meting

Options
  • 06-02-2022 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/i-1iUSz2LNw

Recording of yesterday's online meeting.

From ESB - lots happening in future including hubs

From easygo - lots happening in future but more sites needed

Tesla A few supercharger sites due this year, payment for hotels Tesla destination chargers consumption may come in the future

Ionity -Belfast and other sites coming but quite vague.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

What I learned from it is that ESB Networks need a clatter round the head from govt. Delays and costs too high for connections.

Also the other networks aside from ecars mention connection delays. Does ecars get preferential treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Esb ecars have had delays from ESB networks, months of delays in some cases, so I would say no. However ionity may need brand new substations etc. which may need to be ordered in from non Irish manufacturers. Tesla has multiple sites waiting on esb networks, easygo at least one site. Northern Ireland connection charge much higher than ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Is this map any use for looking at capacity restraints at potential sites?

November 2020 seems like a long time since the map was updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,918 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well, there's also possibly an element of passing the buck going on. Blaming the grid connection is an easy target to explain a slow rollout.

I mean, there was talk of batteries at one point and the Ionity guy was talking them down because they always want power available from the grid. What he didn't mention was that they'd dramatically increase capital costs, and probably make the site somewhat less economical.

So Ionity will probably sit around and see if they can negotiate a better price or find an easier site than go for the quickest option

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

That map shows capacity constraints for LV connections. Once a site passes 250-300 kVA, it becomes more cost effective to get a MV connection, especially if there is the potential for future expansion at the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just watching this back now, I was driving most of Saturday so didnt get to join.

Am looking forward to the Q+A section, there's a lot of non commital promises of nothing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭innrain

I'd like to acknowledge the IEOVA effort in bringing these people together and shed some light ref future plans. Some people used their time and relations to make this happen. And I'm thankful for it.

Ionity plans were news to me. I know it is a long term plan which might be delayed so 25 might be 27 and maybe 80% of the location will be reality but at least we're still on cards. I also realize that nothing might happen this year at all.

Easygo can't name the new locations but said to look out for planning permissions so if you know new shop coming in your area go online and search.

Ecars said they will double the number of hubs by the end of the year but by the way they already counting the chargers they have to prove it. It seems to me they are halfhearted in all this but even this is good to know.

IEOVA should search punctual clarifications:

Are ecars aware of the app displaying wrong status for the chargers? Do they plan to fix it? There are at least 4 months since this bug appeared. Surely they should have fixed it by now.

Can we have a list of the 230 50KW chargers?

Can we have a list of the 16 hubs?

When/If are they going to sort out the "limited power" chargers. Are they going to increase the MIC in these locations, disable Fast AC or any other solution?

Provide feedback. The Blanch layout doesn't work, creating frustration among the users. Maybe it is time to look at the overstay fee as 45 nins at 25kW is a bit of a joke. Allowing the user to stop the charging from the app and still be plugged but not paying overstay is also a bit silly.

Totally agree, it's nice to see some plans from providers that look like they might actually get done

One thing I would like to see is someone from ESBN in to talk about the grid connections aspect. What are the bottlenecks when it comes to these high powered connections and what support is ESBN getting to remove them

I imagine for example if they need to run new pylons to a location across someone's land, this is going to be a sticky issue and will take some time to resolve

I think IEVOA are in a tricky position when it comes to asking questions of charging providers. If they push too hard then the likes of eCars will just stop talking to them to avoid a grilling. So they have to dance around some of the issues unfortunately

I would like to see eCars getting questioned on the backend server aspect as well, for example why don't chargers go into free vend when they lose connection. It's not like EV drivers are charging there for the laugh of it, they need the electricity to get somewhere

The overstay fee is great in theory (and the way Tesla apply it) but the ecars method of only applying it if you are actively charging is stupid.

Loved the question to Chris Kelly about hubs and the crap ecars rollout.

I'm going to guess their software isn't good enough to track a car that's plugged in and not charging. It probably forgets who was plugged in as soon as the session ends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

but is that not exactly what the purpose of that groups is? take Some of the aims from the website, it doesn't seem they are doing that

• To represent the interests of EV owners and drivers across Ireland.
    • To help encourage widespread uptake of EVs throughout the island.
    • To work with ESB Ecars, E-carsNI, Government bodies, County Councils, and all other stake holders to further the aims of our members.

Oh thats it for sure. Same reason why a ccs connector that is locked to a car but not actively charging, shows as "available" on the app. Crap software. Get on it Anna!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Not sure if that's a limitation of the particular charger model, some of the newer ones I've used in the UK have plug detection. The session only ends when the plug is returned to the cradle and locked back into position. I'd hope at least some of the units they are now using have this capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ecars are doubling the number of hubs, so from 1 to 2 for the 8-bay hubs and the 9 3-bay hubs becomes 18?

I suppose if you set a low bar you'll never under-achieve

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Blanchardstown is so busy the untethered plug has 130% usage on my site. Whoops. Must look into that :D

EDIT: Fixed. Had to remove the data for the old charge points they removed during the upgrade. That needs a less hands on fix me thinks

Their API is good enough to track it. They have an "OCCUPIED" and "CHARGING" status. "OCCUPIED" is when you're plugged in doing nothing.

I think the uber new ones, that they use for the 44kW DC/6kW AC charger implementation have that lock, as do the HPC units. However as below they already know when the plug is occupied and who by. Even if not charging. It's lazy coding IMHO, they could easily implement the overstay fee to "occupied" status too.

Advertisement