Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time housing debate: Eoin O Broin vs Darragh O'Brien

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

He has obviously no experience in building but also completely oblivious to the well publicised facts that councils are failing miserably to refurb their own existing stock when it comes free never mind being able to purchase and rebuild another 5000 per year, hes delusional!

Honestly the government should take their billions and just buy out Cairn homes or Glenveagh, give them access to public funding, public land banks, part 8 planning via each local council and set them to work on doing what they actually know how to do, building homes!

I mean f#ck me they are the easiest things in the world to build but we keep hearing how our various council and government depts full of highly qualified, well paid architects, engineers and quantity surveys are somehow not up to that task 🤪

Just don't bring back Mick Wallace to run the thing 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Apologies if I have misunderstood, but are you saying you vote SF in the hope they will "punish" certain sectors of society?

How will they decide who deserves punishment, and what form will it take?

The experience in many other countries has been that electing parties who wish to negatively target a particular sector of the population, ends in catastrophe for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The only people Eoins rainbow army will punish are joe taxpayer and the native Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

It made for pretty poor watching. I dont think Daragh is strong when it comes to debate and I expected Eoin to be prepared. He simply wasnt.

Saying we need more houses is as obvious as it gets.

Im no expert but houses are being snapped up all over the country which tells me that plenty of people can afford to buy. There is no shortage of people being mortgage approved and having the finances ready to go.

I just dont think the housing issue will be solved anytime soon and I dont think any party is really up for the task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What's the cost of buying 200 houses vs. paying the rent on 200 houses? What budget do the councils have to spend?

I'd imagine as soon as they were bought out those at the top would leave, form a separate company and then charge the council for those services (it's what I would do).

There is a reason private enterprise doesn't get bought out by public institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the 'native' Irish? is this a new kind of irish person?

I don't know, but I would imagine buying 200 properties (probably at a discount) and owning those properties, is still better value then renting them forever.

• Advertisement

Why does anyone rent anything then? Budgets are finite, buying 200 properties would cost roughly €80m, that houses 200 families, if I rent instead then I can house 4000 families instead, now it's not just one or the other, but there has to be a mix if the budgets are to be sustainable (with renting, the owner also has to pay for refurbishing, as pointed out above, the council is much slower and more expensive doing it themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The USA is the only country I can think of that can run a huge unsustainable public debt and can only get away with it because they the dollar is the reserve currency of the world.

If the dollar ever got replaced with a electronic currency that became the reserve currency of the world you would see hyper inflation in USA over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I've been keeping an eye on O'Broin since he was a regular and favoured 'guest' on O'Eadhra's Late Debate. Always struck me as a nasty piece of work. Maybe he has the wits to make a difference but I kinda doubt it. He knows the brief, is great at swinging between sniping and promising - but will that lay any blocks? Could he lay a block himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

in the uk, when a council house becomes available, it is simply offered to the next person on the list, as it is... Maybe should be adopted here. If you are getting as good as free housing, beggars cant be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I more mean that they will have their influence vastly reduced, the legal sector badly needs reform as an example it's something the EU wanted so not exactly a radical thing.

These groups have always been a priority and apart from maybe developers/builders they aren't actually wealth creators people that grow the economy.

I also think weirdly SF might be stronger on crime and reign in the judges which is a concern for a lot of their base.

Basically my point isn't that SF are very effective and can't be corrupted. It's that they don't have the generational loyalty to "official Ireland" and the same back and forth between them, republicans to some extent having been traditionally sort of shut out from them.

It's my hope anyway but as I said I don't actually expect SF to be very effective

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Yep. Great at shouting that there's a problem, but no real details on the fix. Bottom line is no-one is going to magic up new homes unless we make all land free of charge, pay the workers building them third world wages, somehow get hold of materials at a fraction of their market price, remove all fire hazard requirements and other regulations, and magic up new land in the city where we can actually build these new magic houses.

Unless we do all of that, then the prices ain't coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Very few people consider the practicalities of building houses. O’Brien referred in the debate to unlocking ‘capacity’, but that’s self-defeating jargon if he doesn’t spell out what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

SF can be corrupted and are no better than any political party when it comes to ethics....

just look at the Jonathan Dowdal case.. water boarding and now up in front of the special criminal court for the biggest gangland event in the history of the state.

Do you think he was incorruptible because he was a SF councilor?

My point is that there will always be bad eggs in every political party and saying that one political party has better ethics and is less corruptible than another is bull.

Another example is covid restrictions SF ignored them with their big funeral up the north and gave two fingers up to everyone that had to watch a funeral of a family member online. FF/FG were no better with their golf gate and other incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I am literally saying it's not that SF aren't incorruptible, it's that they aren't part of the "official Ireland" style nepotism networks

Reign in judges? Are SF planning to abolish the separation of powers in the state? Thats veering toward totalitarianism.

I am curious about the idea that SF are not corruptible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I was surprised by the debate to be honest. I felt Eoin was a bit of a spoofer but I thought this debate should have been easy enough for him. Darragh came off as being more informed about what is possible. Eoin was unable to explain how we can get to 40k houses. I was trying to understand what Eoin meant by councils building or buying homes and selling them as affordable homes. Are they really going to buy on the market and sell cheaply?

I suppose it depends on your circumstances as to which party will be better. If you don't work and are waiting for the state to house you, SF are the best option. If you are working and are looking to buy, unfortunately the incumbents are probably the best option.

Eoin is the SF prodigy, the rest of the party are completely clueless. I would love to hear Mary Lou tell us that David "up the r@" Cullinane has great ideas for the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

When elected SF will build 1000s of new homes for non-nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

That is a very good point.

We have had the usual SF types on here and elsewhere on social media parroting the line that we need the state to take a much more direct approach to building houses, as if that was a magic bullet.

Yet we know the waste that comes with that process. The same people giving out about the state not being more involved in housing are the same ones giving out about all the qangos and the HSE.....

Clearly people don't think too hard about their arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I would expect the opposite.

The poster makes the claim that Sinn Fein don't "don't have the generational loyalty to "official Ireland"", and that this is a good thing.

It is more likely to be the opposite. Sinn Fein don't have any loyalty to the democratic pillars of the state in the police, the army, the judiciary and the prison service. They spent many decades supporting efforts to kill members of those democratic pillars. Giving them the reigns of power would be very dangerous. A SF Minister for Justice is likely to curb the powers of the Special Criminal Court, giving terrorists and criminal gangs free reign. Plenty of good republicans will rejoice when that happens. It wouldn't surprise me to see Sinn Fein introduce a compensation scheme for those convicted by the SCC as a way to give handouts to their mates.

One of their most famous slogans is based on taking revenge on others - our day will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Sinn Fein's election mandate reminds me a lot of Homer Simpson's when he ran for Sanitation Commissioner. "Crazy" promises with nothing substantive to back it up.

Simple solutions and soundbites to very complex problems, will not solve the issues related to housing, homelessness, healthcare, or the cost of living in this country.

Glad someone else remembers that episode. I believe 100%, if Homer was running for garbage commissioner here people would vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Sure we had our own Diamond Joe Quimby here for years.

Sterling Bertie Ahern!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

All I can see from SF in power is that they will increase taxes, increase borrowing and just throw big piles of cash at whatever issue is the hot topic of the day in the hopes they will buy the election after that, the fact that O'Broin couldn't go on national TV and slam dunk a housing debate with 4 or 5 innovative rock solid commitments to resolve the housing mess shows how out of their depth they are.

Seriously he could have speed read one of the housing threads on here 10mins before going on TV, regurgitated 10% of the ideas and come across as more competent but clearly he has no power to dictate party commitments which does not bode well for them in power.

SF are also making zero noises about getting public sector spending under control, increasing efficiency, dragging public sector bodies into the 21st century with new IT systems etc, you'd think that would be another slam dunk with the electorate but they don't have the courage for that road it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

I read an article a few weeks back in the sbpost that quoted EOB complaining about the amount of SHD applications that went through planning at the end of December.

He was insistent this should have stopped earlier in the year as it allowed developers to build more units... Yes he was complaining about new supply of homes while at the same time pontificating the housing crisis was primarily due to lack of supply!!

This guy must be the greatest spoofer of a politician to exist in recent times and unfortunately is never off the TV or airwaves where he waffles on unchallenged.

There was another planning case in the docklands where a developer was refused an application to add extra floors to build more apartments, yet EOB was on twitter next day gloating saying the decision was correct and giving 2 fingers to the developer.

Unfortunately the younger generation are brainwashed by SF who have a strong social media presence and play populist politics on every issue.

Post edited by technocrat on

• Advertisement

One thing SF could do to immediately increase the supply of council houses would be for SF TDs on €96k + expenses who are living in social housing to house themselves privately. I have no idea how TD John Brady in Bray can justify living in subsidised housing on his salary when it is such a precious resource. A lower income family would benefit hugely from moving in there.

Advertisement