Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

Pages 122 and 123 blank for me, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Same here.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

That was very weird, it was behaving the same way for me here. I posted a test post which cleared the extra pages and then deleted my post off the thread. It only goes to page 121 now. I'll send off a bug report to see if this is a known issue. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I started a thread and have all my general notifications turned off.

How do I stop getting notifications every time someone posts in that thread?

• Advertisement

You may still have notifications on for when someone posts in a thread you have started. It is "Notify me when people comment on my discussions." if you turn off both options for that (email and pop up) you shouldn't receive any notifications for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I use the touch version of the site on mobile. But it’s now a right pain in the @r$€ to use as the screen keeps jumping up and down when the adverts change size. Simply too difficult to read through threads now.

Could anyone with the screen jumping up and down take a screengrab/video of it happening please? I've been told it's been all but eliminated and I'm not seeing it myself either so would help us out to have a vid. Thanks!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Any up/down movement you see in this short video is not being caused by anything I’m doing, I’ve gotten into the habit of not touching the screen at all for 5 seconds or so anytime I click to go somewhere on Boards these days.

I get that, too.

Edit: Also getting the last message posted in drafts thing someone mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,992 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I didn't even know what that meant, until it just started happening to me this evening!

Seems to be only one-liner replies that post, but also stay in the draft/reply box.

let me try this

Edit: nah, one liner with text above quote - draft gone. seams random, so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I also get the screen jumping issue. Only since the adverts at the bottom of the screen were added.

Even without the issue of the screen jumping, the adverts at the bottom of the screen are terrible from a users prescriptive. I’m using an iPhone 13, if I’m scrolling down a page, between the url bar, the advert at the bottom and header at the moment, over a third of the screen is taken up. And then if I scroll past an advert in the middle of the page, three quarters of the screen is taken up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Somebody mentioned this previously on one of the threads.

If you're not alert the "OPEN" button for an ad makes you think you are replying to a thread if you haven't scrolled down enough to the "POST COMMENT" button.

It's actually there as I'm typing this.

I mentioned that ages ago, when the bottom page banner ads started appearing first.

It's a complete PITA, and bad enough to have such a chunk of the page/screen taken up, without being tricked into opening the ad by mistake.

I have no idea if it's a usual tactic in online advertising, but it's certainly the only instance of it I've come across to date - and as I've said before, would send me in the direction of adblockers (I haven't yet, but I'm getting near!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I haven't been around much lately. Dropped in to see how much has improved.

Re. my question from October LAST YEAR:

"Please, seriously can it just be fixed so we can go to our last read post when clicking on a thread? How is this STILL an issue, seriously? Is it just me???"

Also: no ability to delete posts made in error? No.

No ability to see who thanked your posts? No.

Right. Ok. Carry on so. See you in another 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭Tow

I think the last read post issue is getting worse. I have several threads bookmarked, is it rare I land on the last read post. Also some times threads with new posts are not showing as having any.

The posts jumping up and down issue has also started again.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

On mobile, it's definitely a lottery where you land on a thread having clicked into it. Seems to be fairly stable and predictable on desktop.

Every time I go into a thread I haven't opened in a while I have to scroll back and forward to first figure out where I actually am in the thread, and then to see how many posts I've missed.

And still on busy threads (eg the ones following a TV programme while it's on, posts seem to be added way after they're actually posted - so if you scroll back there are additional posts that weren't there when you last looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

There is no way of knowing if you have thanked a post either on mobile or desktop by looking at the button.

@Boards.ie: Niamh - when is version 2.0 coming out?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

For those who don't want to install Firefox on mobile to get dark mode, you can do it in Chrome by typing in chrome://flags into the URL.

It's a bit odd that you have to then opt out on sites where you don't want it by unchecking that box, but it does work. Maybe there is a way to make it opt in but I don't see it.

I think the Firefox Dark Reader extension looks nicer though and you get the benefit of other extensions using Android.

On IOS, I believe there are dark mode extensions if you use Safari.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think I just got caught myself now in the WORDLE thread.

When I went to tap "POST" I realised I'd tapped "INSTALL" for something instead.

I've no idea what I've installed if anything as it didn't bring me to any app platform. I don't see anything new on the phone so hopefully it's not a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

@Boards.ie: Niamh can you not move the ad at the bottom of the page to the top? It totally interferes with posting comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

In a few threads in the "Leave a Comment" box there are posts quoted that I can't seem to get rid of. When I go into the thread they're already there. No matter how many times I delete them when I go back in to that thread it's there again.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's because it's saved your "draft". Even if you then delete it from the Leave a Comment box it returns whenever you go back into the relevant thread

To delete click on your avatar in the top right hand corner and in discussions there is a drafts section. Click on that then delete the draft from there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

...and you'll have to keep at it, the save draft is automatic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

"is anyone else experiencing this?"

All the effing time.

Not sure how long the "save draft" poll must go on, but it really does seem not many enjoy this feature. It is particularly irritating in wordle thread, when it saved yesterdays scores to post today.

If boards cannae do anything about it, not sure why they bothered to poll us.

• Advertisement

Every stick has two ends.

From one side i agree with you - it is annoying to go to the profile and delete them(hence request for delete button next to comment box)

On other - typed "half backed" long comment, leave and come back to edit later. Automatic - no extra click or other actions to save - handy.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement