Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling house

• 30-01-2022 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My landlord give me 6 months notice as he is selling house. What can I do?

Post edited by kateb89 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

At least he/she has given you 6 months.

Absolutely nothing you can do. Landlords are taxed highly and it's not exactly lucrative for them.

With prices strong many are taking the opportunity to sell up.

What you want is a better reference to someone else so staying on very good terms is very important.

Register your requirements with a few agents along with copy of landlord reference and you'll find something will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You have been given more than the legally required notice so believe it or not you're lucky.

Mortgage lenders will only grant mortgages for vacant possession so the landlord would be limiting their market if they tried to sell with you in situ.

Use the 6 months to use every network, club, work, crèche or other connection to help you find a place. Word of mouth remains the best way to find a decent place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The landlord cannot be forced to sell with tenants in situ. If, at the end of 6 moths you are still there the landlord cannot throw you on the street but most open a dispute for overholding with the RTB. There can be an adjudication, mediation, an appeal to the Tribunal followed potentially by outings to the courts. Only when all of that has been exhausted, which could take years can you be thrown out on the street and even then it will be by the County Sheriff, not the Landlord and even then only after you have been asked to vacate by the Sheriff.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Max H

Which is where the whole system is wrong, and why landlords are bailing out

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kateb89

What happens if my landlord did not pay tax nor RTB? Basically I might be able to buy house but not sure how to settle with landlord because he might use that against me to raise house price

Post edited by kateb89 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

That's a pretty strong statement - do you have proof of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Quite frankly that's none of your business. As a tenant your rights are not affected by a landlords registration status and his tax affairs are his private affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Lazyfox

I would say you are facing a bad situation.

All the recent changes have been anti-landlord and not surprisingly they are all exiting. The current FFFGGP Govt. have continued a failed policy of price caps, penalties, RPZ and each set of new legislation drives more small landlords out. The current housing minister Darragh O'Brien TD even boasts he has put through 5 pieces of legislation against landlords in the current Govt. It is bewilderingly stupid and is already crashing the labour market as is there is literally almost nothing to rent anywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

How about look for a new place to live and not pull all your energy into trying to screw the landlord as your following posts look like

It is difficult to find new rentals at the moment for most tenants so many are opting to play the system to remain longer in their existing accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

And then you will have your name on the RTB website for all future landlords to see. Good luck finding a new place or getting a reference playing this game.

Big thrill. There is always some stupid landlord who won't check. In any even the RTB website does not display the earlier decisions. Eventually the name will drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Do I understand that you want to buy the house from the landlord? Why would their tax or RTB status affect that to raise the price on you. If you want to buy the house, and you don't have a terrible relationship with the landlord, approach them with an appropriate offer (look at sales for similar in the area from recently the PPR is great for that) and take it from there. They might be happy to not have to go through all the viewings etc. Totally depends on the landlord. Although don't expect it to go through - they may want to go to market with it to see the level of interest which is perfectly ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Six months is plenty of notice, even in the current climate. If you start looking now you'll probably find something.

If the tenancy isn't registered then report it to the RTB. If you suspect the landlord is not paying tax then report it to Revenue.

The notice will remain valid though and look, the situation is terrible out there at the moment but it's not that landlord's fault personally. If they want their property back you should facilitate that, even though, as others have said, if you choose not to it's very long an arduous road the landlord will have to go down to get rid of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Could you provide an exact link to where this information is ? Can't find it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks for that. Had a quick browse and in one dispute relating to overholding brought by the landlord I see that part of the resolution is that the tenant pays 10,000 in arrears. Would I be correct in assuming that in these circumstances there is no weight behind these rulings and this payment will never happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I would say it's impossible for a landlord to recoup losses as the majority of tenants have no intention to repay arrears and no assets to be seized.

I have a relative who was lucky to get a late/non paying tenant to leave without involving the rtb. Fast forward a few years and she tells me the same tenant is named on the rtb website for rent arrears so for any landlord vetting tenants properly this tenant has now severely damaged their chances of securing new tenancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Don't do this you are entitled to explore all options that are legally available to you. In this market currently it will be very, very very difficult to find another place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jaysus_1984

I'm sorry, not sure i understood this correctly - are you suggesting that OP should try to screw the landlord over just because its tough to find a house at the moment? Even though the landlord followed all the rules and laws in giving the required notice?

What if he was moving back to the country and wanted it for his own use? The tenant overholding could render the landlord essentially homeless?

• Advertisement
Advertisement