Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roy Keane to manage Sunderland?

Options
  • 03-02-2022 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

So, the boy Roy is dipping his toes into football management again?

If the stories are true, then a return to Sunderland is on the cards. Is this a wise move for the cranky one?

In fairness, he did well the last time he took the helm there, albeit a life time ago now, and too be blunt, he was given pots of cash to ease his way up the promotional table. Times have changed since then.

He is currently earning a seven figure salary as a pundit for Sky - He won't earn nowhere near that with Sunderland, so what's the draw...?

Granted, he probably isn't money orientated at this stage. But the semi-retirement life of a Sky pundit must be hard to give up...? Especially to return to a 24/7 roller coaster that is guaranteed to dish out dogs abuse by the bucket full...

Personally, I'd like to see Roy back in the game, not sure his ethic's would wash with the younger generation though..??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Soccer forum ---------------->

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

What's happening on Coronation Street these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Keane bought poorly, overpaid for players in fees and wages and when called out by Ellis Short for not wanting to move to Sunderland (and told that the money tap was getting turned off), resigned by text. Short was not in thrall to the Keane Mythos as The Drumaville Consortium were.

He then had a very poor run with Ipswich. Falling out with everyone.

They'd be mad to give him the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I really really hope Netflix resurrect the series again, covering Roy's return!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

I selfishly hope he stays as a pundit. Im a Liverpool fan and have began to like watching a few highlights of Roy Keane the pundit - Roy Keane the manager/coach not so great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He's a great pundit, funny and honest

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Roy Keane. Great pundit... crap manager.

A bit on a par with Steve Bruce... great player, crap manager. He's been made manager of West Brom today. Pity them. Seems like only yesterday he was laughed out of Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭standardg60

He should stick to what he's good at, moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

What's he got to lose. If it doesn't work out he will get his old pundit job back. In a decent position to get promoted and he has always expressed his desire for a management role.

In before lockdown.....

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I think it's a great opportunity to kick start his non-existent managerial career again.

Sunderland are in a good position to be automatically promoted back to the Championship, even failing that, they would surely make the play off's unless a disaster of biblical proportions was bestowed upon them.

Phase one is really a win / win situation for the boy Roy to be in.

Phase two.. Well that's a whole different bag of kippers... The Championship is a tough table to succeed in.. Many a revered manager met his doom in that league. And unless Keane dramatically changes his man management approach, I fear he will be tossed to the wayside like all the rest of them.

Does he really need all that hassle now? He seems to be the jewel in the crown of soccer punditry at Sky. Why put himself and his family through all that again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,531 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is nothing about that absolute shítshow of a club that is win win.

They just sacked their manager that had them 3rd in the league.

Keane would want to have his head examined for taking on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I was referring to a win - win situation for the boy Roy..

Surely automatic promotion or at the very least, a play off spot is all but guaranteed... What is there not to like about that?

Maybe the club would want it's head examined to consider Keane for the job....? Kindred spirits perhaps??

Advertisement