Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do I need a card to charge car?

Options
  • 02-02-2022 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Do I need a card to charge an EV? I have the ESB ecars app and saw you could charge by swiping in the app. Can anyone confirm for certain whether or not I need a card? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

You don’t need the card although it makes the process handier.

Couldn’t find my card the other day in my wallet and used the app no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Thanks! Made my day much easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I would recommend getting a card, in my experience it is more reliable than using the app

Also, one thing to note, the cards are network specific. The ESB card won't work on another networks chargers like Ionity

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Don’t need it but get it. When I got my card, I was wondering what sort of dinosaurs us the card? However the card is so much more reliable. I mostly just use the card now, there were so many times where I couldn’t start charging with the app, I don’t really bother with app now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

I have the card but only ever used the app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Guys 1st time EV owner just collected an ionic 5 at the weekend

Waiting on ESB & easygo account through work but used a prepay effort on my own card in the meantime with money topped up in the wallet. Tried to charge at J14 with the easygo app last night but it wouldnt connect just continually showed initiating charging never went beyond that. Eventually abandoned the effort and crept home at 80kms and just about made it (actually got in the driveway with 0% on the battery)

I had €100 in the wallet topped up. Any idea what I was doing wrong or is there a particular sequence. There were actually no other cars at J14 for the 30mins I was there so no one to ask. I order the RIFD card/fob off them this morning to see it that works better than app connection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭innrain

With ecars you can use the app or even directly on their website to start a session.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Card much more reliable

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think it's worth having app and card (or fob). A few times over the last few years the app wouldn't work, but could use the card. (IIRC wasn't charged for the sessions - perhaps machines were off line?)

A few weeks ago the new ecars machine at Kinsale Roundabout Cork wouldn't start with card, but worked fine with app..

Absolutely agree have both. But instead of using easygo to start ecars better use ecars app or even the website. Ecars does not make easy go for easygo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you sure the charger you were using is part of the easygo network?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

I’ve a PHEV and I don’t know how many times I’ve been unable to charge the car as the chargers weren’t working, I was going to buy a full EV but thank the lord I didn’t as I can still rely on the trusty petrol engine,

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Was on their app anyway. Only have car 5 days my 1st time trying to DC charge, getting home with 0% battery was fun!. With hindsight should have tried charging locally with plenty of range left.

I've ordered fob. I am waiting for ESB card etc from work just used the easy go pay as you go app while i was waiting for work card to get sorted.

Reply from easy go was that they have had some issues with app connection to ESB chargers taking to long. Will have fob next week and hopefully have ESB card sorted.

When easygo have issues with ecars chargers it doesn't matter what you're using app/fob it will not work. It means the ecars servers don't recognize the external request.

Advertisement