Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Van Morrison

• 01-02-2022 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

He's playing locally to me next month, I'm a huge fan of his music but I've never bothered going to see him because of this reputation at live shows isn't great.

Is it worth going to?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Seen him in the pint about 5 years ago. He sounded great but he put very little into the gig.

He doesn't interact with the audience, he doesn't do an encore, he doesnt wave good bye.

It's a concert that in one way I'll never forget, but not for the right reasons.

He also barely did an hour, and the tickets weren't cheap.

I'd honestly avoid it, unless you're a massive fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Are you looking for cabaret and a musical, or a living legend? Kidding obviously...

But on a serious note, his shows are 100% honest. No moving truss, autotune, smoke OR mirrors. Just a selection of music played and sung by a monster of music, living amongst us. The band are expected to play any number at the drop of his proverbial hat, from an agreed list of over 400 songs. They're every bit as good as he is, which is why he's got the same band (give or take 1 or 2 members only) for years now. He's loving life and loving performing.

I hope you go, and I hope you enjoy it.

g

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Just wondering how you deduced that he was loving life, Godfrey?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I wouldn't go into the back garden to watch him if he was playing.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's ok too, suit yourself.

Attendance at Van's gigs is not compulsory🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

Saw him live in the Point a few years back and loved it. Brilliant show

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Go.

He's a legend, depends on which Van turns up, could be an amazing, could be good. He's contrary, but if anything, you'll see some of the best hand chosen musicians play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Saw him a few times over the years, once in Madison Square Garden, seats right up close. He and his band were absolutely brilliant, not matter what any one says about the man or his views he is a serious talent and know's how to put on a show.

You won't be seeing the likes of this, but it's worth a watch.

Check the mic drop and exit stage.

Absolute class on a night of class.

History was made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Penfailed

He's an obnoxious shíte of a man. He doesn't deserve your hard earned money.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Again, you are entitled to your opinion.

But it's none of your beeswax how we spend our hard earned money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Regarded by many as the best performance in a show full of music royalty, the face on Robbie and there's at the end says it all. What talent.

That maybe so, but putting opinions on his character aside and concentrating on the music, the talent and the performance I'd encourage anyone to go and see Van Morrison do what he does good.

Absolutely go.

Seen him only once, around ten years ago and it was a superb gig with a really tight band.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Saw him in Marlay Park around then, fortunately on a freebie ticket. A great musical performance, but zero charisma. The camera ops make sure he basically never appears on the big screen himself.

The band wasn't so much tight as terrified, watching him constantly in fear of getting the wave to indicate they had to jump in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I think the mixed responses here sum up his live performances.

I saw him in the 3atena a few years back and thought it was pretty terrible. I don't deny the musicianship but I find the lack of everything else a massive disappointment. He wasn't engaged at all and didn't seem to be enjoying it himself, I can't enjoy watching that.

If you catch him on a good day, I'm sure it's amazing. But on a bad day you know what you're getting based on the replies above. You know yourself whether you'd enjoy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, we're all looking for something different. That's the beauty of gigs. I need some sort of connection to really enjoy a gig and that's not really Van's bag. We don't get too many bona fide musical geniuses in Ireland, I guess we all just wish he wasn't such a bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yup I've ticked him off the bucket list as I got to see him at Fleadh Mor in Waterford in 1993, I think he actually played both days, I thought his performance was OK but definitely not mind blowing. There's another artist who played two days in the back of my mind, yes, it was the Beastie Boys who played Saturday and Sunday at Electric Picnic 2007.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Saw him in Derry a few years ago in the Jazz Festival. I thought he was excellent.

OK he doesn't worry about idle chit chat with the audience, and I get the feeling the band are on tenterhooks with him, but didn't spoil the show for me at all.

Band are fantastic too. I would go to see him again, whether hes a grumpy bugger or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

A mate was trying to get tickets for the Cork Opera House gig on line this am but none to be had at 9am!!! more cronyism I suspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭fafy

COH website is notoriously flawed for any high demand events. Crashes/errors are a regular thing. No cronyism, just a crap booking system at COH.

There are plenty of tickets still available for the two COH gigs, June 27th & 28th :

https://www.corkoperahouse.ie/en-GB/shows/van%20morrison/events

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

yeah he got tickets later on the day no problem - dunno what was going on in the am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Saw him once and it remains one of the two worst gigs I've been to. Ive no issue with him not chatting, but his songs didn't sound like his songs - he completely changed them for the show. It was about 2 minutes into 'into the mystic' before I realised he was playing it.

Edit: Can't decide whether Van or Bob Dylan was worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭fafy

I had the same thing when i saw Dylan in Nowlan Park, 3rd verse, before i realised he was doing ballad of a thin man, but i was at the gig for Neil Young, who was superb as usual. But i was suprised at how much I liked what Dylan was doing, if i am honest.

They say Van never does a track the same way twice, he’s great, have seen him a few times over the years, so i’d expect him to change things around a lot, he’s been doing some of these tracks for 50 years.

If youre after the studio versions, you won’t find it at a live gig

Advertisement