Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would it be worth giving the calf a shot of but B?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I gave her a multimin shot. The vet had me told to do it. She is improving daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Exactly the same diagnosis from the vet. They are in a Well bedded shed and the plan would be to fire them out into a paddock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Multivitamin is brilliant for calves that are slow at drink. Thanks for reminding me as I am out of it at the minute & must pick up a bottle of it as it was very hard to get last spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Katie 2018

Lost calf at weekend left to long to calve cow didn't open fully an must been pushing for while.anyway got foster calf an skinned dead calf cow took til it straight away.how long would I need to keep skin tied on for..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had a 2 year old heifer calve on her own during the night. Had her outside ad she was a bit lame. A tiny gamin Bull. Not due for another 12 days. I was worried about her as she is small enough. Bring her I'm this morning and calf started to go for her teats. He drank her dry. Great when it works put like that.

She is a bit short of milk though.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

There’s hardly another one in her?

I’d say once the cow smells her own milk passing through the calf then you will be ok

Never thought she might have another. She was cleaned when I found her calved and she wasn't that big in the belly all along.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Yes. I wouldn’t even bother skinning a calf. I’d just get the foster calf to drink the cow twice a day then leave them off after 3 or 4 days

It’s unlikely but with the calf being small and her calving early you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There was a post earlier someone had a dead calf, skinned it and put it on another calf

Cow wouldn't let calf suck atal even in crush just kicking all the time.skinning worked great feeding within 5 minutes.first time doing it

What would have caused the cow to put all her feeding into calf instead of herself.got thin last couple months an showed with size of calf she had.she couldn't calve it.hex second calver

Would that her offspring a good chance of doing the same.i kept her heifer from last year for a replacement

Have you any idea of the cows ICBF figures? I had a cow here once that always always had a huge calf. From her breeding I could see all hard calving bulls in her pedigree on icbf webpage.

• Advertisement

Must look into that.she calved her first last year no problem atal

• Registered Users Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a cow with milk fever there now. Rarely get it in a spring calver, she calved this evening but she took on with a calf that was born at dinner time and went mental when I took the calf away

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alan10

Si heifer calved. 4 quarters all blood in milk. Does that do harm to calf? Gave calf powder colostrum for 24 hours (2feeds) and milked out heifer 3 times and she is coming good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Diarmuid B

Had this last year with a couple of our cows, as far as I remember it’s normal for a bit of blood to be in the milk (capillaries burst in the bag I think is what the vet said to us) , usually goes after the first couple of days the calf is drinking👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I would have encouraged the calf to drink from the heifer within an hour of birth. I don't think powder colostrum has equivalent antibodies, ( open to correction).

Lovely heifer, maybe i’m wrong but i’d let the calf suck away and wouldn’t milk her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Progressive genonmics LM2388 bull calf born on Wednesday. Had to jack him out. Mother is a SHX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Nice calf John, I had 1 of these in 2020, sold her last year at 13 months 405 kgs €1,140, I had a a few of them last year and very happy with them, very quite cattle. I will have a more of them this year hopefully. I found them small at calving but develop quickly in nice shapely cattle. The most of mine would have been out of Zag heifers / cows

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

I have a heifer calf on the ground too out of that bull. They are bigger in size than Zag calves when born

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

In the wars again with two perfectly normal calves but won’t suck their cows. Left one lad 4 days without feeding but couldn’t stick the roaring any more. You’d think he’d be dead. Watched them both constantly and never went near the cow.

Feeding them once a day on a bottle. Spent an hour trying to get them sucking cow this evening but was just vexing myself.

Advertisement