Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jeff Zucker resigns from CNN

Options
  • 02-02-2022 6:34pm

He says it’s for a ‘consensual’ relationship but many are saying it’s an ‘inappropriate’ relationship. This comes on the back of some very weird sexual misconduct exposed recently of their anchors and producers, some involving child grooming.

The relationship came up after an investigation into Chris Cuomo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Stink finger Lemon to get the boot next

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

He was leaving shortly anyway and announced his departure almost a year ago as far as I'm aware of .

Not all sure from the reporting why a consensual relationship with a colleague is resigning matter , albeit few facts behind the story are known at this stage.

Chris Cuomo's shenanigans are a completely different matter and was appropriately shown the exit door .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Apparently Zucker lied about this relationship during the Cuomo investigation, at least that was reported in the daily mail.

”Zucker admits lying about when the romance began during the investigation into whether or not Chris Cuomo, formerly the network's most successful host, helped his brother, former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, through his sexual harassment scandal. “

Where did you see he was leaving anyway? CNN business are reporting:

”News of Zucker's resignation sent shockwaves inside CNN and across the industry.” and

”WarnerMedia is in the process of merging with Discovery. Many media observers thought Zucker was in line for a promotion once that deal is complete. That is not the only reason this is a pivotal time for the network: CNN plans to launch an ambitious streaming service, CNN+, in the spring, and it also needs to roll out a new 9 p.m. program to replace Cuomo.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10468905/CNN-president-Jeff-Zucker-quits-amid-Chris-Cuomo-fallout-admits-having-affair-with.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/02/media/jeff-zucker-cnn/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I wonder how consequential that lack of disclosure is, especially as it arose during the Cuomo investigation and has lead to Zucker resigning. I did read the article you posted(and the link it referenced) which said he would stay on for one more year at least.

This kind of dishonest reporting is generally why I try to avoid nbc. “Zucker's exit comes almost exactly a year after CNN reported that he was close to an exit but decided to stay on with the network until at least the end of 2021”

As you say we don’t have all the facts yet but I suspect this gets worse for Zucker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This comes on the back of some very weird sexual misconduct exposed recently of their anchors and producers, some involving child grooming

Do tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

From an Irish point of view, the American view on office relationships is rather bizarre, given that it's how many couples are introduced here.

It's one of the many weird things about America.

Is he the guy that realised Trump was ratings gold and then gave him disproportionate coverage prior to 2016?

John Griffin, Rick Saleeby I think there was at least one more. Dirty bastards, there are details I wish I hadn’t read. Most are probably aware of Cuomo’s improprieties, helping his brother to frame and defend sexual abuse allegations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

CNN is indeed utterly crap nowadays. All they seem to have on is panel discussions or monologues. And before anyone says Fox does as well, well yes but CNN didn't used to be like this, it was a reputable news channel worth popping into now and again.

Maybe it can be again now that Zucker is gone. There was a noticeable difference under his stewardship. I’d say most people in Ireland get their us news from cnn either directly or regurgitated by rte and the likes of the journal.

It's quite surprising how many Irish people watch CNN given how bad it is.

American news is about panels, the so called panelisation of news. It's no longer about journalism.

And those that want to blame Fox for this madness are incorrect. CNN began this process in the late 1980s and gave ridiculous wall to wall coverage to the OJ Trial in 1995, similar to their Trump coverage. Wall to Wall rubbish.

Maybe in older generations but even my mother in her seventies tends to read a pretty wide array of news sites. I don't really know anyone who that intently follows a news station unless there's a major ongoing story. Think the Capitol was the last time I turned on CNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I'd say Ted Turner (Original CNN founder) is probably laughing his ass off as the Americans say. Most of the media personalities in that region will know each other, no surprising then that he can't lie his way out of that, the gutter press will eat him alive.

In other US media news Whoopi Goldberg got off lightly with a 2 week suspension.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Pretty funny ‘tribute’ here to Zucker from James o Keefe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Rags like that really do rely on the remedial understanding of their average reader.

The Jeff Zucker-led cable news network averaged just 548,000 viewers during the week of Jan. 3 — a major drop from the nearly 2.7 million viewers for the same week in 2021, according to Nielsen ratings. 

The year-ago ratings were jolted by the left-leaning network’s coverage of the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, which resulted in CNN having its most-watched day since Ted Turner launched the news outlet in 1980

So much more people tuned to CNN when the capital building was being overrun with violent rioters live on TV then they did a year later when nothing of the sort was happening.

Quite the scoop there. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Russell Brand nails his Brian Stelter impersonation

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

john malone is going to shake things up big time at cnn once the deal is completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah it's completely messed up. In the US you are supposed to disclose these things but in Ireland, apparently it's in breach of regulations to do so!

You get dragged into HR and they start going on and on and on about privacy. I try to tell them that I was just disclosing my brief relationship with the new secretary after last Fridays after-work drinks. But oh no, apparently they now brought in an official rule that you're not allowed to disclose it to your employers. Apparently typing up the details and printing off flyers and putting them on all the noticeboards and sending one to everyone via internal mail "isn't the appropriate way to do it".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

I think there is a bit of a difference between two collegues dating and a senior exec dating an employee though, given the unequal power dynamic.

Of course, if you're reading the story in our paid 'government approved fact checkers' in the Journal, you might be under the impression that this is all about office dating, but certian facts seem to get consistantly omitted by our media.

Like the fact that the woman in question, Allison Gollust, just so happened to be the former governor Cuomo's director of communications and Zucker's failure to disclose the relationship in the middle of in investigation about CNN staff offering strategic advice to governor Cuomo about discrediting women who had accused the governor of sexual harrasment suddenly begins to look like he had a serious conflict of interest in the unethical shennaigans involving that controversy.

Then there is the fact that CNN had had a 90% slump in it's ratings since this time last year. With the Warner/Discovery merger, that did not bode well for his future anyway when the corporate overlords start asking questions about why. That and the fact that Discovery's biggest shareholder is an avid Trump supporter that loathes Zucker and is intent on forcing CNN to be less partisan in it's coverage.

But what do I know? I'm no fact checker for The Journal!

Post edited by conorhal on

Rolling Stone are alone in reporting that Zucker and Gollust were helping Governor Andrew Cuomo during the pandemic in a similar way to which his brother, Chris, was.

The source says the investigation suggests Zucker and Gollust were advising the governor at the beginning of the Covid pandemic in ways not dissimilar to what led to Chris Cuomo’s dismissal. As Andrew sparred on a daily basis with then-President Trump over Covid messaging, the couple provided the governor with talking points on how to respond to the president’s criticisms of the New York crisis. They also booked the governor to appear on the network exclusively, which became a ratings boon for CNN, with Chris Cuomo doing the interviewing. Cuomo and Gollust’s conduct, too, would appear to mark an ethical breach for executives acting on behalf of an impartial news outlet.”

The autonomy of a news organization requires it to not be engaged in any sort of direct activity with any political actor,” says Tim Gleason, a journalism professor at the University of Oregon and media ethics expert, speaking broadly. “If they’re advising a politician [while] presumably reporting on activity that that politician is engaged in, that’s duplicitous and deceptive and a disservice to the audience of a news organization.”

There was a time before the nursing home scandal when Andrew was being talked up as the next president, he was appearing on the popular late night comedy shows and his fame became en par with Trumps. Now we know why and how. He could have been the next president if he wasn’t such a slimy creep who spent half his time covering up allegations of sexual misconduct against him. There is footage out there and stories of him being a disgusting sleezebag in front of women, repeatedly. The final nail in the coffin was his attempts to cover up just how many deaths occurred in those nursing homes early on in the pandemic. He said he did that for fear that the Trump administration would use the data as a political weapon.

Andrew: How am I going to cover up these nursing home deaths?

Jeff: Just say Trump made you do it.

Advertisement