Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to go about getting a tree planted outside house?

Options
  • 02-02-2022 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi All,

Interesting question here that google couldn’t answer me.

Im bidden on a house that I really like but the lack of trees outside the house on the street sucks.

other streets in the estate have good trees but this road has the odd small 10 ft tree.

So how does one actually go about getting a tree planted outside their home on the public street? Would the council do this upon request? Id highly doubt it given there work ethic

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Get a couple of mates to pull up in a van & do it one day.

Don't acknowledge them.

Don't let them acknowledge you.

Say nothing to anybody.

Enjoy your tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Most councils are chopping down trees not putting them up. They just don't want the hassle. But if you have a front lawn that you own I'd imagine you can just dig a hole and stick a tree in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭CandyButcher

That would be last resort as its public property and drilling into concrete would have to be done and you know what neighbours can be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭CandyButcher

Thats unfortunate to hear trees are great for nature we spend enough time on screens and need things like that.

yeah I’ll probably have to do just that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Are you saying you want to dig up the footpath outside your house to plant a tree?

Contact the council, see what they say…

if you want a tree, plant it in your own garden… if the house doesn’t have a garden, and you really want a tree, don’t buy the house…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Apart from comments already made you run the risk of damaging any utilities that may be buried underground, so I don't think it's a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

As jack said roots spreading and causing havoc with the drainage system is a factor and if you get the wrong tree type, the roots could spread to foundations too.

Insurance companies view these trees as a huge risk and someone would have to be liable for it. Plus for all their plusses, in an urban environment they bring some problems too like slippery footpaths in autumn with wet leaves, birds sh1te dropping onto pavement and vehicles, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Leyland cypress everyone will love ya for it in 10 to 20 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Green Finers

If you have tree in YOUR garden and leaf falls in Aotum on public sidewalk and idiot slides on it can they sew you?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Nobody from the Council will ever spot it . And if they do they will never be able to figure out who to send the contractors bill for its removal nor their legal people’s bill for their correspondence

• Advertisement
Advertisement