Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork to Dublin commute

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

How about drive to a commuter town (Kildare / Naas ?) then take the train from there ? Avoid traffic then comparatively short train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I know several people who commute to London every week so Cork/Dublin is definitely doable. The train is great and you can get a lot of work done on it if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I suppose OP you need your options.

A lot of it depends on what you like yourself without meaning to sound smart. It really depends on how you feel about driving/train.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The fact it's in Smithfield makes the train the obvious choice I think. Before Covid I used to go to Dublin from Cork once every 2 weeks or so for work. Took the train most of the time as I found the car and traffic too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

What did you decide to do OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I said earlier in the thread, this just adds extra expense to the trip (trains/PT in general isn't cheap for the most part). Plus would he get a seat on a train at those stations or would it be another .. 45 mins-hour? (I've never done the trip) standing crushed against others?

If he was driving that far from Cork by car he might as well finish the journey, or go as far as the Red Cow Luas/P&R anyway if considering PT

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mailspaining

Interested what you did too OP. Have the same offer. Day a week in Dublin contractually or can be called up with reasonable notice - seems pretty doable, 30 min drive to the train station, bus at Heuston should get me close to the office. Was thinking if I got the 7am or maybe 8am train and aimed for the 4pm train now working each way it's attractive. 5k a year more than now but scope for more.

Advertisement