Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Fools & Horses

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,013 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That was a good bit alright. Wasn't the Aussie actor the same who later played the character of Jumbo Mills, right?

Edit. Beaten to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'm not going to be swindled by some Cockney villain.

Well if weren't for some Cockney villain, you wouldn't be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The 58 minute version of A Royal Flush was created by John Sullivan in 2004 so every DVD set and TV broadcast of it seems to be that one. The only exception was the magazine partwork DVD which had the uncut version.

I have the complete run on VHS (purchased mid-90s) and it's uncut on that. Del is a bit OTT and unpleasant in it alright. No laugh track makes it a rather uncomfortable watch but still hilarious in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,753 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

An underrated one is the special.. To Hull And Back…..I might rewatch later I haven’t seen it in about 10 years..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I think i saw that once on youtube, much more in the opera scene with Del getting ice cream and liquorice allsorts

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Good episode but anytime i see it I'm cringing at the chase scene in Amsterdam, it's definitely Amsterdam so maybe on a budget they didn't have much time to get right, but you see the cops barley jogging in pursuit.

Only Fools and Horses - Amsterdam police chase - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd be curious to know if the unedited versions of thsy episode still has the reference to reggae music as "monkey music". It's at the very start of the episode uncle Albert is talking to an aul wan about a WW2 movien on TV and he says I can't think with all that monkey music and glares over at the black lads standing round the juke box.

It's a real little time capsule of a show rhst was progressive for it's day, but using a term thst become a major slur. Actually, using monkey as an insult for black people has fallen in and then out of fashion since then.

Interesting to know of it made it through the unedited version.

I am pleased to advise that To Hull & Back is fully uncut on the 80s Specials BD release so Uncle Albert's comment is intact at about 4 mins and 37 secs in. Thankfully edits for inappropriate language are rare on home media releases although they are routinely trimmed for television broadcasts.

Jimmy Savile is mentioned a couple of times in Only Fools And Horses. Hole In One episode (S4, E3) - Del said Uncle Albert was the Jimmy Savile of Peckham due to his charity work. He’s also the punchline of a gag in Sickness And Wealth (S6, E5) - during the séance. I wonder how these will be handled if and when they get round to releasing the regular episodes on BD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

As I remember it featured Simply Reds "Holding back the Years" as Del boy is left alone.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

You won't see a show like fools and horses again, what constitutes comedy these days is any joke relating to sex or over the top rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

"I think we're on a winner here Trig, alright, play it nice and cool son, nice and cool y'know what I mean?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

There's an uncut version? How much different is it to the original? Are those tapes for sale by any chance lol

Original version is 76 minutes and no laugh track. Broadcast on Christmas Day 1986 and they only finished the final edit that morning so a bit of rush

John Sullivan was never happy with it and in 2004, prior to the series getting a DVD release, decided to significantly re-edit it and removed 18 minutes of footage reducing the length to 58 minutes - a lot from the theatre and some from the dinner party. He also added a laugh track. The new version was the one shown on TV ever since then and was all on the DVD releases bar the magazine part-work.

Both versions are on this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-Fools-Horses-Specials-Blu-ray/dp/B09KJ67P3Z/ref=sr_1_1?crid=15T6R0VCS8GBY&keywords=only+fools+blu&qid=1643756742&sprefix=only+fools+blu%2Caps%2C47&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 35,562 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 24,753 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think two mistake they made towards the end was firstly trying a bit too much pathos in the storylines almost an entertaining comedy drama or drama comedy, the long 70 minute specials didn’t suit the type of comedy format…they were hit and miss…should have stuck with 2/3 40 minute episodes and left it at that… with the purpose of making people laugh…. More laugh driven less storyline…

all the relationship struggles thing was a bit weird and serious and it got all a bit dreary.

Id just always watched that show to laugh…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here's some interesting trivia I just found out about Only Fools' run. I was always under the impression they did each series (or "seasons" of the show) then just switched to specials. But not really like that.

SHORT VERSION: They always seemed to do specials, then back to regular episodes, then specials again. During the shows run they were mostly not making new episodes.

LONG VERSION:

Am just gonna say 'seasons' as it's easier. But seasons 1, 2 and 3 are standard. Aired 1981, 1982 and 1983. They didn't make any episodes in 1984 then came back in 1985 for season 4. They ended season 4 with the Christmas special to hull and back. Season 5 aired in 1986 and the 1986 Christmas special was A Royal Flush (as mentioned in the thread) All grand so far but this is where things get muddled.

They didn't make another episode until the 1987 Christmas special 'the frog's legacy' - but that accordingly is still apart of Season 5. The next episode was Christmas 1988 episode 'Dates' - which is ALSO considered to be Season 5. At this point you would think the show is done with episodes in a season format and just specials.

But then they come back with season 6 - which all aired in 1989 and consisted of 7 episodes ending with the Christmas Special "The Jolly Boys Outing" (Probably the best episode in my opinion) So at this point they are back to making seasons, right?

Season 7 started out normal beginning with the 1990 Christmas Special 'Rodney Come Home' - But by the end of that they are back to Christmas Specials for 1991, next episode christmas special 1992, next christmas special 1993 (all "considered" season 7 lol) The last two seasons are easy to comprehend. Season 8 was the 3 episodes in 1996 (Del and Rodney dressing up as Batman and Robin and they end the show) Lastly season 9 the horrible last 3 episodes.

So all in all, the show had seasons. Then specials only. Then back to seasons. All up and down really. No wonder David Jason did the darling buds of May. He had the time. He even voiced danger mouse for more episodes than only fools haha.

Post edited by B.A._Baracus on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,013 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Looks like Murray's decided to act the w*nker by jumping on the PC gone mad train.

It's a sad, desperate grab for attention frankly.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

How long before that is repeated as “supposedly BBC won’t show”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

My favourite scene is the one where Del Raquel Uncle Albert and Rodney are discussing Rodney taking Tanya to the pictures from Alberts over the top delayed reaction to Del running down Tanya and onto Raquel's disgust with him true genius. Tanya? The bow wow from the exhaust centre? Brilliant.

I also really love the one with Grandad's funeral how David Jason could make you laugh and cry in the same episode beautifully written and acted.

I was always surprised falling through the bar was voted the best gag. I wouldn’t have thought it was particularly memorable at all. It just shows you that 2 people can both love a show but they're loving different aspects of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's not like his 'career' is going to get him any attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

True but aside from the desperate attempts by the BBC to pretend that Savile was nothing to do with them via whitewashing, OFAH is largely unaltered. His statement therefore comes across as "I'm so desperate for attention that I will pretend that a show I played a miniscule part on which is still shown has been cancelled."

H. H. Asquith

Me too. Not sure what I'd have picked. Probably the chandelier. It's iconic.

By the way, Trigger was never supposed to appear in the bar scene. Lloyd-Pack was filming nearby and walked in to see if he was needed. John Sullivan decided to write him in.

H. H. Asquith

Ha. Great knowledge.

I love the idea that it was written on the hoof like that and was still so good

I love how David Jason falls over while not trying to catch himself. No idea how he pulled it off but it adds so much to the scene.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Being "the Jimmy Saville" of somewhere really has changed meaning over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Advertisement