Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They should ditch dual or multiple citizenships ,

Unless there might be an exception reason ,and stop all of this shite ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

In fairness, neither did I - the missus refused to fill it in n I wasn't spending a couple of hours on it, so it got binned!

Like if there's 100k people apply will they all be accepted? AFAIK they will be eligible for social welfare once they avail of the amnesty, family repatriation too- surely now they are legit? Was any figure bandied about if it was limited to 17k as to the cost, or is that irrelevant?

Seen a few articles recently about mcentee as future fg leader with this scheme for illegals and amnesty for direct provision residents as signs of her stateliness. She's outdoing coveney!

Here we go, legal profession will be licking their lips, money money money....

I'm not sure how legitimate gript is? But if that quote from the government is accurate it's pretty telling that they say this is not a cap on the number of illegal immigrants who will be granted amnesty.

This will be a regular scheme

Reading that article again has she really taken the figure of 17,000 from the Migrant Rights Centre of Ireland and accepted that as the truth?

Unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Honestly, I think it’s a good thing. If it’s a proven success, irrespective of motives, maybe it’ll help to pave the wave for the undocumented Irish in the US to avail of something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

I very much doubt the yanks will pay any heed whatsoever to what we do. I watched a programme years ago about Brits moving to America legally n the hoops they had to jump through was unreal- there was almost zero chance that they were gonna be an economic liability to uncle Sam.

We should do a boards sweepstakes on how many will avail of this scheme. Helen McEntee says 17000. I say 100,000. Right this minute undocumented people from the UK and other EU countries are moving here to try and avail of this scheme. It will be the birthright citizenship/anchorbaby goldrush on steroids

Never going to happen ,if America does it for undocumented Irish they have to do it for everyone elses undocumented .

• Advertisement

Helen McEntee was only recently celebrating not deportating a single person over the last two years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

This is a mess of a process pushed for by NGOs and failed asylum seekers.

Why bother going to the bother of getting a visa etc and being here legally, less rights than those who bypass.

It's not surprising though, there is no political party in Ireland or newspaper/media outlet opposed to what they are doing. There is full support in the circles they mingle in for all the loosening of not just this but all our other immigration and Visa laws.

They probably genuinely think they are heros and the "good" people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No. The Americans have a water tight migration system for a good reason. They’re not going to copy the Irish to look all woke and “progressive”. The average American is delighted with their system and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Gript did reporting on this recently. Essentially, the figure is completely made up. It's not from the DOJ - it's from the Migrants Rights Centre Ireland, an organisation which can charitably be described as most definitely having skin in the game, and most especially by underselling the numbers involved (which are uncapped). MRCI have failed to produce any documentation supporting their 'study' from whence the figures emanate - in fact IIRC they were unable to even name the study or those who carried out out on their behalf. Given that the very same MRCI have previously given much higher estimates for illegals (from memory, 26000 excluding children), I think describing the 17k figure as "made up" is entirely appropriate.

I reckon wed be surprised how much government "figures" are pure waffle.

People saying the US might reciprocate, people like McEntee, are pure dreamers. They take immigration law and rules more seriously. We might as well have open borders here, lads allowed stay years on end on appeals, and forming NGOs that go on to guide government policy 😂

I don't blame the people, people will do what they can, our weak laws and politicians are a joke

I've said it before 60,000 + through direct provision ,11,000 deportation orders issued by the courts in this country , deportations over the last 30 years,

Undocumented immigrants in Ireland 17,000 🤣🤣🤣🤣

She is hands down one of the dumbest politicians to hold a cabinet position in decades. She doesn’t understand her brief whatsoever. Has absolutely no concept of law and order as it relates to the Irish constitution. Can only dream of this shambolic “government” to collapse so she can’t do any more damage to the country

• Registered Users Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Well dont be moany cnuts when you find that there aren't services in your locality because of lazy sods who couldn't be arsed to do something that takes 10-15 mins, not HOURS, to do.

• Advertisement

Oh easily in the 100k’s. Countries like Brazil, India, a while plethora of African nations have vast populations in comparison to us. “Only 17k” is a ludicrous figure to distract away unwanted attention or spotlight on reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I'm disgusted at this. Illegals who we have no idea about, who could potentially be murderers and rapists etc for all we know, naturalized?

The Department of Justice nor the Minister have been able to provide any data as they have no official estimates on the actual number of illegals in the state. McEntee hasn't a clue of the number of people she’s offering amnesty to!! Gript made multiple attempts to confirm the "17,000" number (Freedom of Information requests) despite DOJ being statutorily bound they heard nothing!!

She was on RTE This morning and went unchallenged. No questions asked!! There's been nothing in the media showing any sort of concern or interest in this part from the effective Party Members. It is allowed to be waved on by without issue.

She says that this will “improve the lives of thousands of people across the country.”.. but it won't for the people of Ireland, those who have been born and raised here, who contributed all their lives and paid their way. It will be a negative addition and a strain to the state and everything that is needed to run it

Like my friends and people I work with, people who are in the process & who've gone through the legal path to Irish citizenship are furious. If these well-educated and highly skilled individuals were to leave Ireland, I wouldn't blame them. Their contribution to Irish society would be missed.

Anybody who came here or remained here illegally should not be rewarded with such an honor as having Irish citizenship. And Of course, I don't expect those who have connections to trafficking and crime to come forward.

Bulling!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

17k doesn't pass the smell test for me anyway. I'd say if you took a couple of random postcodes in Dublin and shook a few trees you'd get 17k easily.

Again, I'm not 100% against the scheme, but I don't like how they're burying the lead on the numbers and essentially bullsh*tting the public.

They view the Irish people with nothing but contempt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Hamachi

How she ever became minister for justice is a mystery to me. She has very clearly been promoted beyond her abilities; it's written all over her blank, expressionless face. She simply isn't capable of nuanced thinking or understanding that moronic actions have consequences.

To some extent, I welcome this lunacy. It's really highlighting to the Irish people the low caliber individuals who are governing this country and their utter disregard for the electorate who put them there. When the Irish people finally push back, it will be swift and decisive. Let's hope it happens before clowns like McEntee can inflict too much damage to our home.

oh for FFS. Please Ireland can i have a visa to study in your country? Yes here you go. Now give me full citizenship and access to your labour market and social welfare system or I will sue. Should be an instant revocation of his existing visa and back home on next flight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Undocumented Irish (in U.S.) = ?

Irish politicians have been lobbying Washington for decades on the issue of undocumented Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Huh?

There is 10 million plus undocumented in the states.

The Americans being Americans set up a system decades ago so that the undocumented could pay taxes.

I know undocumented Irish who setup and prospered with pretty large construction companies in New York and Boston.

If they got rid of all the undocumented in the morning they would starve to death.

Of course explaining that to your average Trump supporter would just result in loud slogans.

Trump is well aware of it though, he made quite a bit of money off the backs of them.

I agree but there is unfortunately no alternative. Sinn Fein will be up next, if you think the current shower are bad wait for them to implement their immigration policies, including overturning our birthright citizenship law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Indeed. Since when did a student visa become a path to citizenship? In the real world, that person ought to have his visa revoked and be deported. In McEntee LaLa land, he's of good character and entitled to a passport right away.

This simply beggars belief.

Advertisement