Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chris Pratt. 😂

I believe one Ben Whitehead has been voicing Wallace since Peter Sallis passed on; but AFAIK there's no official announcement for the new film - he may not be "name enough" for a new movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭santana75

I keep mentioning this movie to friends but nobody I know has seen it. I just wanna scream "Soylent green is people!" At them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In other news, apparently on a Chinese streaming service, Fight Club has been edited to remove its anarchist ending:

Fight Club is getting an entirely different ending in a new online release in China, where imported films are often altered to show that the law enforcement, on the side of justice, always trumps the villain. 

The 1999 film by David Fincher originally ends with the Narrator (Edward Norton) killing his split personality Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt). With the female lead Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter), he then watches all the buildings explode outside the window and collapse, suggesting Tyler’s anarchist plan to destroy consumerism is in the works. 

The exact opposite happens in the edit of the same film released in China. In the version on the Chinese streaming site Tencent Video, the explosion scene has been removed. Instead, viewers are told that the state successfully busted Tyler’s plan to destroy the world. 

“Through the clue provided by Tyler, the police rapidly figured out the whole plan and arrested all criminals, successfully preventing the bomb from exploding,” a caption said. “After the trial, Tyler was sent to lunatic asylum receiving psychological treatment. He was discharged from the hospital in 2012.”

It’s unclear if the ending was altered out of self-censorship or by government order. Tencent Video declined to comment. A source familiar with the matter said the film was edited by the copyright owner and then approved by the government before it was sold to streaming sites for distribution. The Chinese publisher of the film, Pacific Audio & Video Co., is an affiliate of the state-owned Guangdong TV. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭funnyname

A bit of help please, I watched an Irish film over Christmas, however for the life of me the name escapes me.

A son returns from Dublin to a small town in the Midlands for his father's funeral. He's an struggling author, doesn't get on with his brother, meets his ex girlfriend but nothing happens. Him and his bro and some friends go to an out of the way pub, playing pool and having the craic. Goes back to Dublin writes a new play based around his father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Is Basic Instinct any good?

Is it a decent and clever triller or is the sex all it going for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,421 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ana de Armas was cut from ‘Yesterday.’ Fans who saw her in the trailer are suing, saying they were misled.

This past July, Conor Woulfe sat at his home in Maryland browsing a streaming platform in search of a movie to watch.

When the trailer for “Yesterday” popped up, Woulfe, 38, hit play. The 2019 musical comedy imagines the life of a struggling musician who realizes he’s the only person on Earth who can remember the Beatles after waking up in an alternate timeline where they never existed.

Beguiled by actress Ana de Armas, a Cuban and Spanish actress who has starred in “Blade Runner 2049,” “Knives Out” and “No Time to Die,” Woulfe rented the movie for $3.99 and watched it that same day, court records state.

But when it was over, Woulfe regretted his movie selection. The actress, according to a new lawsuit, did not appear in a single frame of the film.

Peter Michael Rosza, another man who watched the trailer before renting the movie in October, says he experienced the same disappointment when the film ended. Just like the film’s plot, in which the Beatles didn’t exist, the actress was nowhere to be found, Rosza, 44, lamented.

Now, both men are suing Universal Pictures in a class-action federal lawsuit, alleging the studio knowingly distributed “false,” “deceptive” and “misleading” advertisements and promotions for “Yesterday.” Despite being publicized as a substantial character in the film, de Armas never appeared in it, according to the suit, which was filed last week in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.

Had the men known that de Armas had been cut from the film, they never would have paid to watch it, according to the lawsuit, which was first reported by Variety.

An attorney for the men did not immediately respond to a message from The Washington Post late Monday. Neither Woulfe nor Rosza replied to messages from The Post.

A Universal Studios spokeswoman also did not respond to an inquiry from The Post. She declined to comment to Variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I was curious, and here's the original trailer; not like it didn't already smell like a nuisance suit but ... yeah. I'm no law-talking guy but I don't think they have much of a case ...

It's also such an odd edit 'cos it's not like the rest of the film was particularly subtle about its messaging either. In fact, the whole movie probably shouldn't have appeared on the service!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I quite like Ana de Armas and I genuinely didn't know she was even supposed to be in this. The fact it's two 40ish year old men having a moan about it sets a few alarm bells off too. No offence, men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Yes, it's a controversial, lurid, tasteless, violent 90's masterpiece.

The kind of popular cinema that was great fun in the 90's and isn't made anymore (and more's the pity).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

if these two guys have the balls to admit that they watched the movie just to masterbate to Ana de Armas it will be the most legendary legal trial of all time.

Look like thanks to the huge success of Yellowstone Costner is going back behind the camera for the first time in 20 years.

Horizon chronicles a multi-faceted, 15-year span of pre-and post-Civil War expansion and settlement of the American west. “America’s expansion into the west was one that was fraught with peril and intrigue from the natural elements, to the interactions with the indigenous peoples who lived on the land, and the determination and at many times ruthlessness of those who sought to settle it,” Costner told Deadline. “Horizon tells the story of that journey in an honest and forthcoming way, highlighting the points of view and consequences of the characters life and death decisions.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭funnyname

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

**** the Mail tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

And lived and died in a lovely little village of Tourmakeady in Mayo on Lough Mask there is a very nice memorial stone to him there where his ashes were scattered.

• Advertisement

Now you have me trying to think of a film name.

I only saw the trailer

it was released recently, same as this movie about a gout who goes home to bury his father and gets up to shenanigans with his brother.

there is a moment in the film as the mourners are outside th house and one of the brothers says awkwardly “thanks for coming out” or something

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭santana75

I'm probably the last person to know about this but just in case anyone doesn't know about the crocodile stunt in live and let die, here it is......

Honestly I didn't think this was done for real, this guy is a legit lunatic. Fair play to him, he had balls of steal

Doing god's work so we don't have to: Red Letter Media did a dive into Bruce Willis' recent career of Z-Movie trash; turns out, his presence is even more half-ássed and lazy than we might have presumed. Can't respect anyone who pockets millions and still can't even be bothered towards the bare professional minimum.

(For those not into RLM's bookending skits, the actual content of the video starts around 9:25)

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the crocks were tied down but still awesome that someone even thought it would be a good idea

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Just saw that Neil Jordan's new movie that just finished filming in Dublin and is due out later this year is Marlowe starring Liam Nesson as Phil Marlowe.

The rest of the cast is impressive too Diane Kruger, Jessica Lange, Alan Cummings, Danny Huston & Colm Meaney.

It is based on John Banville's Marlowe style book The Black-Eyed Blonde.

Bruce Willis now has his own special category at the Razzie awards.

WORST PERFORMANCE by BRUCE WILLIS in a 2021 MOVIE

(Special Category)

Bruce Willis / "American Siege"

Bruce Willis / "Apex"

Bruce Willis / "Cosmic Sin"

Bruce Willis / "Deadlock"

Bruce Willis / "Fortress"

Bruce Willis / "Midnight in the Switchgrass"

Bruce Willis / "Out of Death"

Bruce Willis / "Survive the Game"

I knew Neeson had been cast as Philip Marlowe and I had dismissed it as another Neeson action film but I didn’t Jordan was directing so hopefully this is a proper Marlowe story.

I would rather see Neeson as a villain in a Marlowe movie though. He is big and has always looked like he could beat the life out of anyone. I never picture Marlowe as that type.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Has the copyright expired, or maybe 'Philip Marlowe' was never copyrighted? This isn't a Chandler story, but from another author..

Quick google:

The Black-Eyed Blonde (2014), by John Banville writing as "Benjamin Black,"[2] is an authorized sequel to The Long Goodbye, and reuses the title of Benjamin M. Schutz's otherwise-unrelated Marlowe story.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,217 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

John Banville was given authorization by the Chandler estate a few years back to take the Marlowe series forward. Pretty sure all Marlow books have to be authorized by the estate (Banville's not the first to write on the character since Chandler, but I'm pretty sure those books were officially authorized too).

• Advertisement

I haven’t read it but assumed it is an official Marlowe story as I’m pretty sure the character is still copyrighted.

Chandler himself re-used titles and elements from short stories.

They should have kept the name for the movie.

Advertisement