Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Prime's film catalogue could be about to get all or MGM's back catalogue. Not sure that's much to shout about in recent years, but I'm hoping some of their classic Hollywood era ones to show up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Variety reporting that a ‘secret’ new David Lynch film is set to premiere at Cannes. Some of the best surprise film news I’ve heard in a while. Been a long time since Inland Empire, and quite a while even since the transcendent Twin Peaks: The Return.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Twin Peaks you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Is there a reason why I can't find some movies on JustWatch? It's not because they're not available because I've found movies like that and it simply says "not available on your streaming service". I presume it's an issue with their database.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like some of the MGM catalogue including all the bond films have been adde to Prime now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I just saw that Zack Snyder has started shooting Rebel Moon - his former Seven Samurai inspired Star Wars pitch which is now a Seven Samurai inspired non-Star Wars film (have they forgot Battle Beyond the Stars?).

He released some photos. Another fricking sand planet in an outer space adventure?

I don’t care whether it is out of context, is only a small part of the film, etc. can we please stop the deserts in space?

What is the “a galactic experience” at IMC cinemas?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,870 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ has the 7 samurai/magnificent 7 story not been told enough times at this stage? Like, even beyond all the movies, it's been the basic plot of countless TV show episodes too - couple pros come in to train up some poor farmers to fight back against their oppressors. It's a fun idea and all, but it feels like it's been absolutely done to death by now. Even the Space-specific version has been done too, with both Star Wars and Star Trek episodes of it already.

It has been some so many times that I barely even take of another one.

It is this thing with sand planets that annoys me.

I really thought Guardians of the Galaxy was going to put an end to it and that every space movie would copy the type sets and worlds they had

• Advertisement

Anyone got any good film/tv podcast recommendations? I've started listening to them at the gym, seems to work better than music to keep me distracted, but I need something that's just engaging enough to keep me distracted but not so engaging, or requiring too much paying attention, that I'll be slowing my pace down to zero so I can give it my full attention :)

Last week I worked my way through the official Station Eleven podcast, which went episode by episode through the show with different creative people from the show on each week to talk about it. It seemed to be the perfect balance of interesting but not too interesting.

Soundtracking with Edith Bowman

Interviews with composers and filmmakers about movie music and sometimes the films themselves.

Entertaining and informative and Bowman clearly loves movies and is always cheery and positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If you just want some "hangout" film podcasts, try Blank Check with Griffith and David; they cover directors who got blank cheques to make passion projects and they're both quite entertaining without being too forced or obnoxious, while fairly knowledgeable on the topics and films. Currently they're covering Sam Raimi's filmography; previous was Jane Campion.

Oh.... is that why people are watching The Quick and The Dead lately? I saw a strange little flurry of action on Letterboxd of people watching it or adding it to their watchlists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Role Calling is a fun podcast where the host cover the career of a particular actor over 5 films. Good chemistry between them with the occasional guest. Some of the films choices are odd but the actor choices so far have been interesting and not very obvious, Dev Patel, Jeffrey Wright, and Meg Ryan so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quick and the Dead was yesterday’s episode, so… yes, that’s the Blank Check effect 😅

I gave Brett Goldstein's podcast a go there yesterday. It's called Films To Be Buried With, and sounds like your fairly standard film podcast setup, a guest comes on and they basically talk about the films that shaped their lives. I was not expecting 20 minutes chat about death, dying, is there an afterlife etc. etc. 😬 Probably make for interesting listening another time, but it was not pushing me finish that last mile on the treadmill!

Yes, very likely as I added to my own watchlist for that reason ( A film I kept meaning to check out as an apparent forgotten gem of the director's). I was a bit leery about 2+ hour podcasts at first but as something to switch off and listen to while doing New Dad Duties, the harmless patter is enjoyable. David Sims is a good film critic for The Atlantic anyway, and Griffin Newman an amiable nerd of the classic variety. Obviously YMMV but they thread the needle between conversational and performative.

Also: You Must Remember This. An excellent Hollywood history podcast from Karina Longworth. She’s currently doing a series on the erotic dramas and thrillers of the 80s which has been fascinating so far, and is following it up later this year with a series on the 90s - just a great deep dive on Hollywood’s weird relationship with sex. But there’s plenty of back catalogue series too - most recently on the gossip columnists of classic Hollywood, and a series on Sammy Davis Jr and Dean Martin’s careers.

I'm familiar with this one but I find her voice and the whole vibe of the episodes very relaxing. So unfortunately not ideal for the gym.

• Advertisement

Another Spider-Man movie without Spider-Man is on the way.

El Murto.

The character is new to me.

These Sony Spider-Man’s are missed opportunity by not using Spider-Man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'll give a plug to the Chillpak Hollywood Hour podcast. Sometimes political or soapboxy. I've subscribed for years and it feels like you get the occasional nugget of info you wouldn't ordinarily hear, about the business. It's generally irreverent. Only one sponsor and not in every episode and not obnoxious.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Baby is being put back in the corner as Jennifer Gray is returning for a Dirty Dancing sequal

I just saw a video of Kristen Bell slap a reporter at the premiere of The Boss a couple of years ago.

Was this a prank?

The reporter seemed like he was acting - his shirt was unbuttoned and sounded “movie drunk”. It was too funny to be real but if it was a prank I can’t figure out the purpose

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nice bit of trivia i just learned - in 'no country for old men' (which woody harrelson appears in), sheriff bell (tommy lee jones) while talking about how lawless criminals have become, says 'even here a while back in san antonio, they shot and killed a federal judge'.

the movie was set in 1980, and in 1979 a federal judge was murdered in san antonio - by woody harrelson's father.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,870 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It was part of a TV show called Junketeers. If you watch again, you'll probably recognise the 'reporter' (Brian Unger), from a bunch of small roles in things. He's the recurring lawyer in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought it was a prank related to the The Boss itself and I have considered that it was a TV show. It was very done considering that they had to do it live on a red carpet

I googled the reporter and all I could find where reports on Bell slapping him so it seems but many people where aware of the show.

Neil Jordan and Liam Neeson have two movies on the way they did together - Marlowe and The Trainer.

Does anyone know which of those is being made for AppleTV+ ?

Or t

is there a third unnamed that the two are doing for Apple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Advertisement