Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Running Podcasts in 2022

Options
  • 21-01-2022 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm sure this topic has been covered before but podcasts come and go so would like to get some recommendations for your favourite running podcasts.

I listened religiously to Marathon Talk but that's just ended and a few US based podcasts I listened to have really dipped in quality

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Currently on rotation

Bad Boy Running - a bit of everything

Conversations About Running - training focused

Clean Sport Collective - great athlete interviews

Doctors of Running - Shoes and Injury

The Run Smarter Podcast - Aussie Physio

The real science of sport podcast - soapbox for Ross Tucker

Occasional listens

Final Surge

Sweat Elite

Runner Beans

Stryd Power

Endurance Nation

Elite HRV

Run Free - Ryan Hall

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

Dont listen to podcasts much but there are some great YouTube channels for runners.

Wont list them all but Ben Parkes, EddBud, Kofuzi,Sage Canaday, Sweat Elite and The Welsh Runner are good or at least I think so.

Also love the Lionel Sanders YouTube channel.

One I don’t like but who is very popular with others is Seth James DeMoor. Something about him just irritates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bullethead

1) runner beans

2) Inside running

3)Inside jogging

All well worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Runner beans very good.

Letsrun also good but more of an elite international pov.

Anything with Ross Tucker very good.

Had started into last marathon talk on lsr today, was 15 mins into Martin's lament for bygone days and my earphones packed in so I took that for luck. Might revisit it. It was nice to have it early on in the pandemic especially.

I think one that has people reporting live and interviewing from races each week would be a big plus, runner beans tend to be the closest to having their finger on the pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Last marathon talk is marathon length at over 3 hours and very sentimental but as its the last one I think they have earned the indulgence.

I do think the quality dropped the last few years when they started rotating the presenters and moving to every fortnight so its probably time they called it a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I've listened to a few Runner Bean podcasts recently. Do those two boys always complain so much about the price of stuff? Are they students or the reincarnation of my mam and dad or what???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Running is BS is a pod I recently added to my subscriptions. Definitely not serious about running, but entertaining distraction on runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

I would highly recommend Running Commentary, a weekly podcast about 45 mins long where two comedians Paul Tonkinson and Rob Deering go out on a run and record at the same time. Banter is effortless and funny and it does feel like you are out running with them by your side. They drift back and forth from running related topics to stuff they encounter on the run but yeah I find it an easy listen and makes a 10K pass by quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

The book Paul Tonkinson wrote about him trying to go sub 3 in the Marathon is also worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The audio version of that book is fantastic.

One of the best things I've listened to, narrated by Paul himself.

I'd encourage all runners to listen to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Duanington

The Science of Running ( Magness and Marcus)

Inside Running (have to say, I'm hooked on this one)

Runner Beans ( for a more local flavour)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Hi all

Bit late to this but my current regular subs in approx preferred order are:

Morning Shakeout with Mario Fraoli

Runner Beans

Citius Mag with Chris Chavez

Sit and Kick w/ Josh Kerr & Dave Ribbich

Doctors of Running

Sweat Elite

More than Running with Dana Giordano

Keeping Track w/ Alysia Montano, Molly Huddle & Roisin McGettigan

Billy Yang

The way of the runner w/ Adharanand Finn

Clean Sport Collective w/ Kara Goucher+

A Runner's Life w/ Marcus Brown

Coffee Club w/ Morgan McDonald+

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Stephen Scullion's podcast 'Journey to Paris Olympics 2024 - One run at a time' is interesting. Stephen has a unique approach to training and is a rollercoaster. He does not withhold anything regarding his mental health difficulties. He often swings widely on whatever latest idea he comes up with.

I find him exhilarating and frustrating at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

John O'Regan's No Finish Line is a great series. Not just all running but really interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

This was a surprise, it's coming back & now sponsored by the world marathon majors - https://www.worldmarathonmajors.com/marathontalk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Noticed it pop back in my feed last week. Looking forward to it though unsure how the format will be given the change in hosts and also the new sponsors.

There's been no Free Weekly Timed since before the summer. No communication from them since then either. Curious if it's related to the prior CEO getting the kick backs.

Bad Boy Running is one I've started listening to over the past few weeks. It's been ok and is filling the running void left by MT/FWT. They can waffle and go off topic a bit so we'll see how long I stay subscribed.

Runners World podcast is another one I've started recently. 30-40 minute episodes and they tend to stay on topic and have good guests.

The Focused Mind is one I've picked up from RW. The host was a guest on there. Not specific to running but there's been some good interviews on there that are worth exploring.

Irishman Running Abroad - I like the host and the community they've created for the podcast. Not a fan of the paywall that part of each episode is behind.

The Physiology of Endurance Running - only 2 episodes in but this is a very informative podcast. Very much leaning towards the performance side of things but well worth listening to.

I dropped Scullion's podcast after he tried to race 2 marathons within 2 weeks of each other earlier this year. It felt like he was repeating the same mistakes over and over.

The Stablemaster Speaks - one from my coach. Only a few episodes out thus far but good knowledge drops on marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Any episode that you'd recommend to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Great news, I've missed it

A little gem of a podcast particularly for runners based in the Rebel county is the Runners Diary Cork. Obviously it's parochial and mainly around the Cork running scene but I'm really enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

That's an easy one, the Comrades episode that made me sign up for it that very day - https://marathontalk.com/shows/episode-73-comrades/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I would definitely recommend Trail Running Ireland podcast, which focuses on trails but also has a lot of good content for those who focus on roads.

http://trailrunningireland.com/trail-running-podcast/#:~:text=Welcome%20to%20Trail%20Running%20Ireland,time%20Irish%20International%20Mountain%20Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

The Sunday plodcast had Feidhlim on yesterday.

Good listen even if he is full of contradictions.

Post edited by Wottle on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

The Strength running podcast with Jason Fitzgearld is good I think, you got to fast forward through the first 3 minutes or so to bypass the sponsors shoutouts and similarily at the end.

Koopcast with Jason Koop isnt bad either but they can go on for a bit, up to 2 hours sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Lusk AC has launched its new podcast if you're interested in a club perspective.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6uMI8O4tOAvYywc7y8DsBa

https://open.spotify.com/show/30OY8Ce08NLFYiibhDUB1p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Advertisement