Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW Golfs more expensive than Audi A4s??

Options
  • 30-01-2022 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking through cars for sale in the North, typically <£15k, diesel, mileage <70k and one thing which stands out as strange is the steep price of VW golfs.

Two Audi A4s coming in £14k-£14.5k

2017 Audi A4 SE Ultra

Jan 2017 Audi A4 SE Ultra

and

May 2017 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI

With a few more examples of Golfs there too. Always thought Audis were going to be a few k more expensive? Is there something I'm missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Your comparing a lower spec undesirable A4 to a high spec Golf. If you looked at S Line’s the price would increase. A high spec Golf is more appealing and in general Golfs are more popular and hold their value better, and that particular example is a GT spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭onrail

Fair enough, but I thought that they wouldn't be in the same ballpark! didn't realise that Golfs held their value better than Audis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah a Golf would be one of the best cars out there for holding their value. They are expensive for what they are but you get more back come sale time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

The Golf might have a 'GT' name but it looks bog standard from outside and compared to the Audi doesn't have heated seats, any climate control never mind tri-zone, keyless start or electric lumber. Of course the most obvious bog standard thing about the Golf is the engine - its a 5 speed manual 1.6 diesel with just 110bhp compared to the A4's far superior 150bhp 2.0 6 speed. The seats are quite nice in the Golf mind you. My money would go on the A4 for £14500 but I would prefer the standard alloys to the upgraded aftermarket ones

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Water2626262

The spec on audis of late is woeful. Very few black edition A4’s from 2016 on. You never see upgraded stereos on them either. A high spec A4 is so rare compared to the previous generation (although less of them around now) . Same goes for the new A5’s. 50k plus for a fwd 150bhp diesel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement