Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auschwitz was liberated 77 years ago

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I was there in September last. It was a nice day weather wise and yet you couldn't get away from just how terrible it would be to be there. You almost feel like the people who were immediately led to the gas chambers were saved a lot of suffering which is a really messed up conclusion to come to.

The overriding feeling was both "Why?" and then if you can come to the end of that "How?". Walking around the Auschwitz camp which was there before as a barracks so was reasonably well designed and looking at pictures initially it doesn't hit you. It's not long until you are in the hair room, standing cells and the gas chamber in the main camp and it really chips away at you but it's difficult to comprehend the scale of it while there.

You then hop on the shuttle to Birkenau and to be honest, the sheer size of that was the most shocking thing about the entire tour. Literal miles long and you can't even see half of it. Building barracks after barracks just because they needed time for the crematorium to get through the people who'd been gassed. At one point I found myself reading a placard beside a destroyed chamber and the guide said that I was standing on the ashes of approximately 150,000 people.

As someone who is reasonably interested in history and was aware of a lot of these things taking place it still punched me in the gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I'm really not sure that the EEC was set up specifically "so that fascist movements ... would never come to power again"

The EEC initial aim was to bring about economic integration in Europe, including a common market and customs union with six founding members: namely  Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and West Germany. It was comprised of a common set of institutions linking to the institutions of the earlier European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC). The effective aim of the original ECSC was to regulate the European coal and steel industries with the principle of supranationalism but also to prevent war for economic or territorial reasons as detailed under the The Schuman Declaration.

Some have argued that rather than creating an equal community of nation states under an Economic Union - Germany as the wealthiest member state has gone on to effectively dominate the EEC and later the EU with regard to German interests and economic decisions, which have not necessarily been of benefit to other EU nation states. Some have gone as far as to refer to these interests as an effective third reich with Germany as the head of a federalised europe. Whether that is or is not has any validity is a whole other discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This was not my experience of my visits to Germany.

There are museums full of artefacts from the Nazi era, the museums in Berlin are packed with so much. There are dozens of memorials scattered around sites all throughout Berlin to commemorate a series of things that happened. There is indeed a Nazi building that is still standing, I did a walking tour and the guide said this building has always been associated with evil, the Nazis used it for the SS I believe, then the Soviets used it for their secret police operations...and now it is the tax office.

Then there are the commemorations that happen every year in Germany, speeches by German politicians, you name it.

They highlight it all over the place, in the hope it will never happen again. So they may hate it, but they don't hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

I visited Auschwitz a number of years ago and, as one poster previously stated, it did leave it's mark.

I firmly believe that it is a place that everyone should visit, not soley to bear witness to what evils the Nazis perpetrated but to understand the depths of depravity that the human species is capable of plumbing.

The true horror of Auschwitz for me was not just the scale but the industrialisation of murder and torture.

If you stop to think about it - people sat down and discussed, designed and refined the most efficient way to commit mass murder.

There has been much talk about how the Soviets killed as many, if not more; but not even Stalin went to the lengths the Nazis did in the application of the Final Solution. Architects, engineers, doctors, scientists, accountants - professional people willingly participated and contributed. Yet none of these are ever really mentioned, the focus was always on the camp officials, guards and the Nazi hierarchy.

Look up along the rail tracks in through the gates of Birkenau and to try and imagine the sights, the sounds, the smells.

Remember.

We have to ensure the we and future gererations always remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yep, I’ve seen that. As you say, a tough watch. Savage and brutal. Not sure I could watch it again. The boy who plays the lead part is remarkable. You can see him visably aged by the end of the film.

There has been a lot of savagery in human history, but I think the Holocaust stands out for the sheer cold calculated nature of it. I know there have been other concentration camps etc, but I think the scale of wholesale extermination of human beings is just staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

The images are even more haunting in colour. I cannot imagine the pain that I would possibly feel to think of a loved one facing this fate….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Auschwitz is the focus but that's because it remained intact, just as many died in the death camps of Sobibor, Belzec and Treblinka that were leveled by the Nazis.

Unlike the Nazis the Soviet regime exterminated people on grounds of class, nationality or merely because of state paranoia and while not employing industrial levels of organization the results were on the same scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's in Poland though. 600km from German border.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't mention the war. I almost mentioned it once, but I think that I got away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I went in late November a few years ago. It snowed and was bitterly cold which made it even more bleak. I don't think you can ever prepare yourself for how utterly overwhelming it is. The worst part for me was in the huts where they "slept", the stench of death still lingers. I felt nauseous and unsteady coming out of there. I think of the whole experience fairly often and it reminds me how lucky I am. Agree that everyone should visit, it should be part of the school curriculum imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's amazing how the place still stands as a monument to the people that lost their lives so brutally. History should NEVER be cancelled whether it's a book you don't like or a statue that offends you. It's living proof of what happened and how humanity can learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Black Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭anplaya27

Interestingly some of the atrocities the Nazis carried out were also carried out by those in a similar time period in so called civilised societies such as America, Sweden, Denmark, Norway amongst others. The forced sterilisation of the Deaf is one such atrocity. Yet it's never mentioned.

Interesting, on a BBC site they say the 1946 investigation said: "Despite this, in a later statement they said they had discovered no mass graves.

The existence of mass graves was known about from witness testimony, but the failure to provide persuasive physical evidence led some to question whether it could really be true that hundreds of thousands of Jews were killed here."

One of the results of the downfall of the Nazis was pretty much the collapse of experimentation with eugenics. It's definitely not forgotten but it tends to be more known about among the targeted communities. The most well known would be Tuskegee. But yep, plenty of countries did experiment in pretty unethical ways but it just didn't tend to match the scale of the Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭anplaya27

@[Deleted User]

Yeah I read an interesting book called Deaf in Hitlers Europe. The Deaf community were systematically targeted straightaway when the Nazis rose to power ( am Deaf myself hence the interest)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

You have completely misunderstood why these decisions were made. Perhaps you feel his bunker should have been preserved as a meeting place and rallying point for fascists?

Germany - much unlike Britiain, or the USA, or Russia - actually went to great pains to teach its young people about the atrocities that were carried out by their countrymen and women. In Japan you can get yourself killed by pointing out that they committed atrocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

The Germans do talk about it. Children in primary school learn about the Holocaust. They have never attempted to minimise or forget what happened.

Disturbingly other countries like France and Austria who had thousands of citizens enthusiastically helping the Germans have never faced up to it or had he reckoning Germany has had.

Eugenics started in the US and Sweden was the foremost country in applying it. "Believe the science", where have I heard that before?

Yes, but the whole article is about the discovery of huge pits around the site. I know you said in another thread that the far right is a myth, or not a problem or something along those lines - are we adding holocaust denial to your profile?

• Advertisement

The likes of the Auschwitz Memorial museum have had to take to calling out antivaxxers for such rhetoric. Probably should head off to the conspiracy theories forum if you want to go down that path.

I'm just quoting the BBC, dont come at me with your holier than thou nonsense.

The far right is a big problem here, because they are in government 🙄

I think all of the conspiracies have come true at this stage 😆

Do you accept the Holocaust numbers? Easy way to clear it up.

Edit: Had not realised you were cherry picking from that BBC article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭francois

For a deep look at the "banality of evil" I'd recommend Claude Lanzmann's epic film Shoah. He doesn't use footage, just interviews with perpetrators, victims and those who just stood by and let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

From the records it is known that more Jewish people were murdered at Treblinka than at any other Nazi extermination camp apart from Auschwit-Birkenau.

I believe the author is making reference to holocaust deniers who deny that death camps such as those in Treblinka and Auschwitz-Birkenau ever existed

Considering the number of people known to have been murdered or worked to death in these camps- there is no doubt that mass graves exist.

Prior to the end of the War the camp was obliterated by the Nazis. The site effectively reminded largely undisturbed until 2010

And as detailed in the article, the archaeological study undertaken in Treblika in 2010 discovered three mass graves. Subsequent archaeological excavations to confirm uncovered shoes, ammunition, and bones. These finds along with ample evidence of human remains of bone fragments and ash found on site show that any doubts about the existence of mass graves at Treblinka have no basis.

https://www.livescience.com/44443-treblinka-archaeological-excavation.html

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't agree to be honest. Just look at the topography of terror it was built on site of the old SS Reich buildings which was excavated and you can still see parts of it. Plenty of other memorials and museums as well.

They are rightly ashamed but I think they have at least tried to confront their past.

Could it happen again definitely, there is plenty of other horrific incidents going on around the world now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

That's bull. I'm German and we did all this in school multiple times. Also there is a massive holocaust memorial right in the center of Berlin. And most it not all former KZs in Germany are now memorial sites.

Didn't you say that anyone mildly conservative is described as a fascist? Get your hysteria straight, man.

• Advertisement

Especially when there are enthusiastic neo-Nazis like our re-reg friend knocking around.

Advertisement